Is After Christmas Sale like Black Friday?

HORSEBORSE

CAGiversary!
i missed out on deals for bf, does anyone know what is the next 2nd best sales day after black friday? what ranks 2nd best for deals? is it the after christmas sale? or is there another sale day that tops that. thanks for your experience

The second best deals day is usually cyber Monday, which is the Monday directly following black Friday.

Besides that, it really depends on what you're looking for. Amazon always has great deals on almost everything. Gamefly and Steam both have sales coming up that will include great prices for PC and console games.

After Christmas Sale is really a black friday sale on everything christmas i.e. wrapping paper, lights, decorations, etc. Nothing else really goes on sale.

After Christmas, I think GS usually does a B2G1, right?

That and it's the time you want to scour the local retailers for items that were returned and are marked down as open box.

[quote name='QiG']After Christmas, I think GS usually does a B2G1, right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they usually have one right after Christmas.

The online sites do decent sales, but B&M stores really don't do after christmas sales anymore. It's usually just a "sale" to get rid of all their seasonal crap like christmas decorations. Besides the B2G1 deal, even Gamestop's after christmas sale last year was a joke.

Black Friday and Cyber Monday are usually the only time of the year where you'll actually get a really good deal anymore.

There are usually some decent sales for the day after Christmas. People are usually in stores returning gifts, so retailers might try to entice them into buying something else. I suppose it just depends on what it is you're looking for. Last year, for example, Urban Outfitters' day after Christmas sale was exactly the same as its Black Friday sale (50% off all clearance items).

The early sales just keep getting better and better, so it's hard to top them after Christmas. And retailers are getting smart and *not* dropping prices after Christmas since lots of people got gift cards--or cash--so many average people don't shop quite as "thriftily" when they're using a gift card or OPM.

I remember, though, when I was a kid all of the great sales used to be after Christmas. At some point, my parents just started giving us money for Christmas and then us kids would get to buy more stuff afterwards when it was on sale. Not sure exactly when the switchover occurred, but I definitely get the best deals shopping early for my son. (And in the long run, I probably spend more since I keep finding more things I think he'll like. Not sure the stores are making more profit because I shop like a CAG, but I don't mind my wallet being lighter if the mountain of stuff I can get for gifts is that much higher.)

How about president's day, if anything the clothing sales are quite good on that day since retailers want to get rid of inventory they did not sell over the holidays.

Like others said retailers are not dropping prices RIGHT after Xmas since everyone is gonna use up their gift cards then. The stores here don't even drop Xmas candy and food until well after Xmas, a trend that isn't working because all its doing is postponing the sale of these items, no one is buying them because they want 50% off not 30% off. However they will be dropping prices eventually on unsold merchandise, it may just happen later. The smart shopper will hold onto the gift cards to use later in the winter when prices actually drop.

The early sales have been very good this year, I got a DSi for $119, a price I have not seen since (except for Target's $113 DSi which was impossible to get at least for me). Retailers are obviously targeting those who shop last minute for Xmas with higher prices, here is an article about that:

http://consumerist.com/2010/12/walmart-jacks-up-toy-prices-just-in-time-for-the-holidays.html

I don't think we are going to see a $119 DSi anytime soon again, unless it drops in price when the 3DS comes out, but the DS lite hasn't even formally dropped in price yet so that may not happen.

The clearances at my Target are pathetic and Walmart clearance is non existent here, its getting hard to even find some suitable toys for the toy donation drives at reasonable prices. Target just isn't dropping clearance prices like it used to. I buy toys at the end of the year then I put them away so I can give a donation to Toys for Tots the next year.

Retailers are also lowering the amounts of stuff they order here, so instead of having a ton of toy leftovers, they are only ordering enough so that the items sell out just in time, which means less on clearance.

I remember there were always some really awesome clearances on video games and toys after Xmas but it just isn't happening anymore, that and more people here are snatching the clearance merchandise because OMG its 10% off IT'S ON SALE!!!! Then you have El hoardo who buys up everything regardless of its ebay value, leaving the store with no clearance which is probably exactly what the store wants.

Yes... I, too, have been frustrated with the ridiculously small clearance drops. Used to be things would go to about 50% off right away, but now there are too many stupid (and impatient) consumers who see "clearance" and buy without really contemplating if the item is a good value or not. I've seen the 10% off "clearance" stuff you talk about sell more quickly than when the same item was "on sale" a few weeks earlier at an even better price. Unbelievable how stupid people are...

Yeah, they're usually pretty weak.

But Target's can be cool as they usually have some other stuff like stocking stuffers marked down.

Their Halloween is better, though. Marvel t-shirts for .75 FTW.

I wouldn't expect many/any games, though.

Cyber Monday wasn't bad this year as I can recall, I got some good deals.. Target can be good, but its a once or twice a year thing for me. Its just cheaper for me to buy games off amazon or used from ebay than to wait for target to drop the price to the same levels and at the same time wasting tons of time and gas so I can get those games at the right price before they disappear. Either Target is pulling stuff before it drops past 50% off or el hoardo is coming in and buying up every single clearance item when it hits 30% off. Or perhaps there is some sort of larger conspiracy going on. If Target drops the price and everyone buys it and puts it on ebay at the same time the price on Ebay also goes lower thus netting me whatever I wanted at the same cheap price or possibly cheaper. I don't have the time or gasoline to be chasing to Target twice a week to figure out my specific store's clearance schedule especially when all the merchandise magically disappears all at once.

At Target I used to be able to buy shoes for $5 or less with plenty left on the shelves, games for $3-5 again with plenty left, purses for $3 and makeup and jewelry for pennies or under 1$. There would also be plenty of toys that were $3-5 and under. Now I haven't seen deals like that at Target in at least 5 years or more.

I always wonder what el hoardo does with all that stuff he buys, then I go to yard sales and see bins of phone accessories for sale that no one wants.. I guess I have my answer.

Again I don't understand the mentality of someone buying an item at 10% off just because it has a clearance sticker, but the mentality of your average shopper is something I will NEVER understand. All I know is that CAG's and smart consumers are very few when you consider the masses and what I see going on at retail stores.

Walmart clearances by department, and video games are mostly never included in those clearances. Maybe once every 5-10 years. Any other "items I don't need but are cheap" things at Walmart are almost never worth buying unless they are 90% off, and that just doesn't happen. Halloween stuff never got past 75% off this year at my Walmart, and it still wasnt' worth buying because prices were so inflated on it to begin with.

[quote name='davo1224']I'm surprised people actually buy into the hype of Cyber Monday.[/QUOTE]

It isn't hype if it actually delivers and more often than not there are some pretty good deals on Cyber Monday, you just have to look around and be cautious.

bread's done
Back