Is Amazon Prime worth $80

gz25

CAGiversary!
How do you guys feel about Amazon Prime? It seems like most of their new releases have the "Release Day" shipping, which I really like. And the new games seem to be about $5 cheaper than retail, sometimes with a $10 credit. Right now, I get most of my new releases through Best Buy, Target, or Toys R Us, which are all really close to me. If I were to sign up with Prime, the only thing I would really get from Amazon would be new releases (1 or 2 games a month) or maybe the occasional "Deal of the Day" game. Other from games, I doubt I'll get anything else from Amazon. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if Prime is worth the $80.

I guess I'm addicted to online shopping.

If you order as much from Amazon as I do, its totally worth it. If a Blu-ray goes on sale for $7, I can instantly order it, instead of trying to find $19 more to get super saver shipping.

I probably got my money's worth this year just around Christmas.

I agree with 62t if you can split the cost in any way it's worth it. Unless you got the $$$ to buy it yourself and if you order alot online then it's worth every penny. But splitting the cost would be the best option. 2 day shipping is the fuckin shit.

Prime is worth it if you can split up the cost... that's it.

Trying to buy up to $25 for free shipping, you'll ultimately spend more or not at all. At least with cheap Prime, you don't have to worry about that, and just buy good deals when they come along.

within like 5 orders you'll pay the cost so any additional order will be savings if you split prime up to 5's.

I've been a Prime member for 2+ years now...and I can't imagine never having Prime again! It's literally paid for itself since I buy most of my stuff on Amazon (CDs, vinyl, games, Blu-Rays, etc.) and it's here in 1-2 days most of the time.

I think it is. I use Amazon a lot and it's great being able to buy something under $25 and get it in 2 days. I live in NJ and when they ship out of their Delaware distributor, I sometimes get it next day.

I'd say it is. I now buy most of my movies, games and books through Amazon, and I also take advantage of their sales on video on demand (I got Battlestar Galactica Seasons 2.0 and 3.0 for $5 each early last year). If I were to divvy up the cost of shipping, gas and time out in obtaining most of these the usual way combined with online shipping, I would have spent more than $80 in a year easily. It's paid for itself every years for the last two or so years I've been a subscriber.

[quote name='GraftonWVDiskExchang']I've been a Prime member for 2+ years now...and I can't imagine never having Prime again! It's literally paid for itself since I buy most of my stuff on Amazon (CDs, vinyl, games, Blu-Rays, etc.) and it's here in 1-2 days most of the time.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. If you buy a lot of movies, games etc it'll pay for itself in no time. I've had it for 3 years now and it's worth every penny.

around the hoildays yes... in the summer no at least for me...

also i seem to spend a lot more cash when i have prime

No prime

game for 10 bucks , i think about it do i really want to buy 15 bucks more to get free shipping and i usually pass

Prime

game 10 bucks i buy it even if i never play it LOL

100% worth it to me, but I order a TON of stuff from Amazon. I pretty much get all of my movies, books, and music from them. I tend to get games from other places.

I'd say about half the time I end up getting stuff after one day instead of two. It's awesome!

Definitely worth it, although I do pretty much everything except grocery and clothes shopping through Amazon. On the rare occasion I buy new release games, it's through Amazon. I also order stuff for friends frequently and they throw a couple of extra bucks my way when I do.

After using it for over a year, I can't imagine not having it.

[quote name='slidecage']around the hoildays yes...[/QUOTE]

This.

Considering that most items are cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else, it does seem totally worth it if you have the extra cash.

I ask myself this question every year when my renewal time comes around, but I always end up letting it renew. I love the expedited shipping time, and I love not having to try to stack up 25 bucks worth of items to qualify for free shipping. As far as I'm concerned, that fee they charge is just an upfront shipping charge, and I make sure to make the most of it. Amazon beats my local prices on everything. Books, games, movies. There's no comparison. I sorta feel bad for the local merchants, especially specialty stores like the comic book shops, but Amazon often has their price beat by 30% ~ 50% percent. That on top of 2nd day delivery, which means no fighting traffic to visit three or four specialty stores, is really nice. Prime also really makes it easy to take of advantage of the various specials Amazon runs - no trying to piece together enough items you don't know if you really want to get that free shipping.

What I have notice though, is that prime leads me to do more impulse shopping. Possibly buying items I wouldn't normally buy. Since I don't have to get together $25 together worth of items to get that free shipping, I'm more likely to jump on a movie or book they have on sale for nine bucks or so, or jump on a twenty dollar gold box video game sale.

Amazon doesn't have everyone beat on prices though (as anyone who's really price compared knows). Buy.com has them beat by quite a bit on the Manga I buy. They also have $25 or more free shipping, and I usually wait till I have at least much in items I want to order before I do so. Buy.com's free shipping time sucks though. Often a week longer than Amazon's free shipping (though they have surpised me before), and I always fret over the wait. Amazon has spoiled me on the convenience, but I do think that convenience does lead people to make unnecessary purchases.

Definitely worth it if you buy a lot of smaller or sale items. If you're impatient and buy things for full price when they first come out, you're better off sticking with the free shipping on $25 orders.

i always spend more than 25 when i buy online anyways. also i gotten my stuff within a day of my order before too(was tekken 6 fight stick was like wow!)

i mostly just buy games and pc stuff but i am thinking about getting clothing online since it looks so dirt cheap hehe. i still try not to buy to much online tho because i realize now after 10 games of backlog that's it's just impulse buying hehe.

Not to me. I usually get games that go on sale, but ones that still usually qualify for Super Saver. I do order quite a bit from Amazon.

However, I've been using the Prime trials and really enjoying that. It's still not gonna get me to pay up $80 though.

It's only worth it if you do A LOT of online shopping and you hate waiting for things to arrive. I have it and it worked out for me since I buy almost all my electronics from them now and I buy all my new games from them. If you use 2day or 1day delivery options instead of the free shipping already then just get prime and save some zenny.

You can invite up to four others to a Prime account, this makes it $16 a piece for a year. Unless you order a ton of stuff off Amazon it's not worth the $80 but even ordering just a few things a year is worth $16, in my opinion.

Remember you get free 2-day shipping and free Release Date Delivery on games, according to here, is nice too if you prefer to buy them on Amazon instead of locally.

[quote name='gz25']How do you guys feel about Amazon Prime? It seems like most of their new releases have the "Release Day" shipping, which I really like. And the new games seem to be about $5 cheaper than retail, sometimes with a $10 credit. Right now, I get most of my new releases through Best Buy, Target, or Toys R Us, which are all really close to me. If I were to sign up with Prime, the only thing I would really get from Amazon would be new releases (1 or 2 games a month) or maybe the occasional "Deal of the Day" game. Other from games, I doubt I'll get anything else from Amazon. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if Prime is worth the $80.[/QUOTE]

If you're not into buying DVDs, books, etc. and are only using it for games -- I say no.

In fact, I order tons of titles from Amazon every month -- but I like the free shipping and will not pay for Prime. Maybe it's because I'm close to a distribution center but everything seems to get to me within 2 days anyway even with standard shipping, so it's not worth the additional $80 cost for me.

Hell no. Unless you buy a lot of small items. Since I'm usually buying a game it's always over $25 (or I wait and buy 2). Super Saver shipping is great. I see no excuse for Prime really with SSS available and the limit so low.

bread's done
Back