Is any other Wal*Mart's doing this?

KingofOldSchool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
So we were in Wal*Mart today and we decided to look in the clearance aisle. I saw something that caught my eye, I go to look at the price and see that the stickered "clearance" price is the same as the regular price. How do I know? I've the same damn thing clogging the shelf for over a year now! I mentioned it to my girlfriend and an employee overhears me and told me "Yeah, they are all like that." I asked him why are they marking stuff clearance when they don't even mark down the prices.

Well the guy basically said "I don't know, you'll have to talk to management about that one. You're not the first person to show their disgust over it." Now granted I wasn't disgusted moreso highly amused that this particular Wal*Mart obviously aren't aware that clearances involve more than just putting a bright red sticker over the normal sticker.

I found it even more amusing that I saw stuff in the clearance section that was left over from the after Christmas clearance last year. And sure enough it was the same price point it was at when it wasn't moving during last year's big clearance.

I know a lot of Wal*Mart's clearance items and prices are YMMV so I didn't know if other people have noticed this stuff happening.

For seasonal stuff it doesn't seem Walmart ever goes to 90% off, Halloween is still 75% off. I rarely bother with Walmart for clearance deals, Target is so much better in every aspect of clearances.

Stores are given a specific dollar amount to be used for marking down items that aren't selling, to go on clearance. Recently, the stores aren't receiving as much money. Some items are put on clearance with a small markdown. Some aren't receiving a markdown at all. It's another of Walmart's ways of saving money.

[quote name='blakgpgt']Stores are given a specific dollar amount to be used for marking down items that aren't selling, to go on clearance. Recently, the stores aren't receiving as much money. Some items are put on clearance with a small markdown. Some aren't receiving a markdown at all. It's another of Walmart's ways of saving money.[/QUOTE]

This sums it up, some stores get more "markdown" dollars, others less. It also depends on the store manager, I once worked under a store manager that wanted clearance GONE, mark it down, get it out and then another who would order electronics clearance to be left at full price and red stickered because "most cusomters dont check that sort of thing".

More variance than one would think at a large company.

Part of this has to do with the fact that people are stupid and will buy something marked "clearance" without understanding that its the same price as last week.

TBW

i think i saw at mine they had a clearance sticker on a Xbox live wireless headset and it was -10 cents from the regular price :/

[quote name='YoshiFan1']For seasonal stuff it doesn't seem Walmart ever goes to 90% off, Halloween is still 75% off. I rarely bother with Walmart for clearance deals, Target is so much better in every aspect of clearances.[/quote]

I'm not talking about seasonal merchandise, I'm just talking about regular merchandise that is put on clearance right after the holidays to make room for new product.

And seriously I don't think most consumers are THAT moronic that they can't tell when something is really being clearanced or not. I think the only time stuff like that would sell is if someone was legitamtely looking for said item, found it, and bought regardless of the price.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']For seasonal stuff it doesn't seem Walmart ever goes to 90% off, Halloween is still 75% off. I rarely bother with Walmart for clearance deals, Target is so much better in every aspect of clearances.[/quote]

Fa Sho

walmart still has their old ways of doing business. they are probably thinking they could fool people with it. that or they just ran out of regular price stickers and used the clearance ones instead. but ive seen this same practice on other walmart. one walmart i went to had about 8 or 10 copies of Eternal Darkness for the gamecube. for $49.82 along with about 20-30 copies of Wave Storm (one of the 1st GC games) and was also priced at $49.82.

what it comes down to, its just the way retail works. when things are actually on sale, alot of items arent like black friday where people seem to think that 10 or so pages worth of sale items are worth the hassle without even realizing that 80-90% of the store is still full price. that translates to 1,000+ sale items and probably around 40,000 full price items.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']For seasonal stuff it doesn't seem Walmart ever goes to 90% off, Halloween is still 75% off. I rarely bother with Walmart for clearance deals, Target is so much better in every aspect of clearances.[/QUOTE]

Target is so much better PERIOD.

I stopped shopping at Wal-Mart a long time ago, that place is disgusting, I don't care about saving a quarter or so on shampoo because they are the "low price leader" or whatever, it's just not worth it, and there's nothing in that store that's significantly cheaper than any other store so I don't see the point in going there.

Target is clean, organized, and a fun place to shop. They get every bit of my business now.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Target is so much better PERIOD.

I stopped shopping at Wal-Mart a long time ago, that place is disgusting, I don't care about saving a quarter or so on shampoo because they are the "low price leader" or whatever, it's just not worth it, and there's nothing in that store that's significantly cheaper than any other store so I don't see the point in going there.

Target is clean, organized, and a fun place to shop. They get every bit of my business now.[/QUOTE]
I have liked Target way better than Walmart too. Unless Walmart has a really good deal (which is seldom) I go to Target. But I do get groceries at Walmart, electronics I buy mostly elsewhere.

Walmart's gaming prices are always rediculous. I don't know how they even get rid of stock. Everything is either MSRP, or the price it was 6 months ago at other stores.

and it's "ARE any other walmarts doing this?"

A Walmart near me used to do the whole "marking it on sale when it really isn't" thing but I really don't shop at Walmart anymore so I couldn't tell you if they still do. It is the same way electronic retailers mark the same TV's on sale every week but unless you are tracking a specific item for yourself you'll most likely not be getting it at it's lowest price even if it is "on sale". You'd be suprised at how many consumers fall for bad sale prices. People who come to CAG are smarter than the average person though!

im not sure if its walmart, but did anyone remember that guy who bought a brand new original first version Playstation? after 12 years, the damn thing is STILL $110 bucks. i cant remember which thread it was..

Ours still had three copies of Tony Hawk 2(i think it was TH2) on the n64 not too long ago. And it might still have them, I don't go in there much anymore. And still has 10-15 FF:CC with gameboy hookup cable.

I must have a low markdown store, cause I almost never see anything good go cheap.....then again, maybe I'm not there when it goes that cheap and it gets sold out quick.

I love how whenever new releases comes out for Video Games, Wal-Mart doesn't even bother to rearrange the display so that the new games can be seen prominently, they just stack piles of games at the bottom of the shelf, so no one even knows they have the game in stock.

I went to Walmart today and in the clearance aisle, I noticed the same thing with items on clearance and a few cents off. A paper cutter was $4.99 now $4.97, lots of pads of paper were tagged $1.00 and were pre-priced at $1.00 to begin with. And I checked some Halloween stuff to see if it was 90% off, it was full price!

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']And seriously I don't think most consumers are THAT moronic that they can't tell when something is really being clearanced or not. I think the only time stuff like that would sell is if someone was legitamtely looking for said item, found it, and bought regardless of the price.[/quote]

You should have read that angel customer/devil customer Best Buy news article a while ago.

Most consumers are stupid.

Supermarkets are the masters of the fake sale, they condition you to associate bright price tags with a sale and about 20% there is no sale. They start kicking the low-lighting and muzak to get the hungry after-work shoppers into a 'buy' mood. It takes a true cheapass to check the price of beans week after week and stock up when prices dip a dime.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I went to Walmart today and in the clearance aisle, I noticed the same thing with items on clearance and a few cents off. A paper cutter was $4.99 now $4.97, lots of pads of paper were tagged $1.00 and were pre-priced at $1.00 to begin with. And I checked some Halloween stuff to see if it was 90% off, it was full price![/quote]

HAHAHA that's because the Halloween clearance only lasts for a couple of weeks, or until Thanksgiving at best. Then they change the decorations on those candy aisles to be "Christmas" or "Channukah" candy, and then again now they're probably getting ready to change it to "Easter" candy.

[quote name='karkyco']HAHAHA that's because the Halloween clearance only lasts for a couple of weeks, or until Thanksgiving at best. Then they change the decorations on those candy aisles to be "Christmas" or "Channukah" candy, and then again now they're probably getting ready to change it to "Easter" candy.[/QUOTE]

Close, Valentines Day, but otherwise you were spot on.

bread's done
Back