Is anyone importing a Dual Shock 3?

Yep.

The only beef I have with Play-Asia is continually messing up on sending out my posters whenever there's some pre-order bonus that includes one or just buying one. It either never arrives or shows up damaged.

They resolve the matter in a timely fashion, but I'd just rather get it without anymore hassle.

As for shipping stuff out though, yea, they get it done quick. I wonder how many people they have on the floor to push out all the orders :whistle2:k...

play-asia sent mine pretty quickly as well. i like the ds3, for a playstation controller. I still hate the triggers though. now, if only i can get some good games to play.

Finally got mine today.

Yeah, the triggers are still too angled too "low". Analog sticks still have an insane dead zone. And the left analog stick is still in the wrong place :), but overall it's nice.

It doesn't feel like it's going to break, and the rumble is pretty nice.

I played Uncharted for a little over 6 hours with it, and it was awesome.

Is the deadzone larger than on the regular sixaxis?

Generally the deadzone is something decided by the game. I haven't worked with the PS3 yet, but with the PS2 the sticks are crazy sensitive. But generally you just ignore the stick value until it reaches a certain threshold, so as not to drive the gamer insane. I doubt the PS3 controllers are a lot different.

The lenght of the PS sticks is longer than the MS sticks, which means they require more travel to acomplish the same magnitude. The benefit being potentially more fine grained control.

~S

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']Finally got mine today.

Yeah, the triggers are still too angled too "low". Analog sticks still have an insane dead zone. And the left analog stick is still in the wrong place :), but overall it's nice.

It doesn't feel like it's going to break, and the rumble is pretty nice.

I played Uncharted for a little over 6 hours with it, and it was awesome.[/quote]

when did yours ship?

i think its how its used, one of the mgs4 guys said the ds3 seemed to have more range

so im assuming titles not built with it in mind really don't utilize it well or properly (say like ratchet) or old ps2 games might not use it the same as they would a ds2

[quote name='Furashu']when did yours ship?[/quote]

Mine shipped on 12/3. So it took a bit longer than I thought.

Dead zone can be mitigated by a good gameplay engineer, but Sony controls have been known in the dev community to have a high degree of dead zone. There are a few articles on Gamasutra about IO implementation on ports and some of the difficulties in porting to and from Sony platforms because of the Dual Shock's analog sticks.

Minor quibbles aside. I would have liked to have seen Sony alter their design a bit, but it’s still one of the most ubiquitous control designs in history. The rumble is very nice. And overall the control feels much more solid. Definitely worthy of a “high end” game console.

Well I finally used my DS3 with something other than R&C last night. I tried it out with COD4. I tried it back to back with the regular controller. I stand corrected snake eyes. It does feel like their is a larger dead zone. Although it could just be a more gradual range, and thus takes longer to reach the programmers imposed threshold. I'll my my DS3 into work and try it on the dev-kit, and see how different it is from the regular controller.

~S

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Mine says it's "In Transit" will I get it today? I hope so![/quote]I know this was answered in your other thread, but in case anyone else is wondering: No. "In Transit" simply means it has left the destination city and is on its way to your address. The great thing about USPS is that they don't exactly take the most direct or fastest route. In addition, they take forever to update. Then again, it's not really a tracking number but a delivery confirmation.

Actually I lied. "In Transit" was for COD4 which I did get today. I'm still waiting for my DS3, and it shipped the 14th.

[quote name='bobthecat23']got one with winning eleven pro evolution soccer 2008 for the ps3 cant wait to try it out does UT3 support rumble?[/QUOTE]
Hopping off topic really quickly, how is PES 2008?

Mine shipped on the 11th and it's still not here. Standard shipping usually takes a little over a week, so I'm not stressing yet.

[quote name='metaly']Mine shipped on the 11th and it's still not here. Standard shipping usually takes a little over a week, so I'm not stressing yet.[/QUOTE]I think it's the Holiday season holding it back. I sent a friend of mine a few games via priority mail and it took longer than usual.

I'm tempted to import, but I'll probably wait. My friend told me the rumble is near silent.

Ill have to say, after getting my dual shock 3 from pink godzillia games in downtown seattle last week - if you like your ps3 at all, spend the extra 20 bucks and get it now. It makes the expierence so much better. For 20 bucks, I would say the extra fun and enjoyment you get out of having the dual shock 3 over the sixaxis is just that much more.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
I'm tempted to import, but I'll probably wait. My friend told me the rumble is near silent.[/QUOTE]
Why would you?

I thought you didn't care for rumble and would turn it off in every game.

[quote name='CounterSeal']Mine shipped from Play Asia on the 10th, still waiting...[/QUOTE]

Same here. 10 days and counting. :(

That sucks, glad I spent an extra $4 over the playasia $8 off coupon deal and got mine back at the beginning of december off ebay. The kid shipped it and I got it through EMS in 4 days at most (might have been 3).

Still wish COD4 had rumble...

WARNING: Stupid Question approaching

Does the Japanese Dual Shock 3 work on an American PS3?

No one ever seems clear on this, even Play Asia. It just says Japan.

[quote name='KingBroly']WARNING: Stupid Question approaching

No one ever seems clear on this, even Play Asia. It just says Japan.[/QUOTE]Yes, it's region-free.

[quote name='KingBroly']WARNING: Stupid Question approaching

No one ever seems clear on this, even Play Asia. It just says Japan.[/quote]

There's no region distinction for a controller.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Well I finally used my DS3 with something other than R&C last night. I tried it out with COD4. I tried it back to back with the regular controller. I stand corrected snake eyes. It does feel like their is a larger dead zone. Although it could just be a more gradual range, and thus takes longer to reach the programmers imposed threshold. I'll my my DS3 into work and try it on the dev-kit, and see how different it is from the regular controller.

~S[/QUOTE]

Snowsquirrel: Any word on the dead zone?

[quote name='Gourd']Snowsquirrel: Any word on the dead zone?[/quote]

The dead zone is comparable to any Dual Shock controller. It's been a known issue in the dev community for a long time.

I personally find it really noticeable going from Burnout Paradise on 360 to PS3, with the respective demos. Most people will never notice, nor care. So, all-in-all, it's not a big deal.

I encountered my first issue with the Dual Shock 3. I had been using it to play every game I have and just tried it last night with Folklore. I was able to access all the menus and the intro, but when the game started and I tried to move Ellen or Keats with the analog stick, the characters would not move down or up. I don't know if it is just the game or my controller. I haven't had any issues with any other games I have tried.

Does anybody else have this issue or is it just me? Sorry, I searched in this thread and the Folklore thread and couldn't find anything on this.

[quote name='galvatron2k1']I encountered my first issue with the Dual Shock 3. I had been using it to play every game I have and just tried it last night with Folklore. I was able to access all the menus and the intro, but when the game started and I tried to move Ellen or Keats with the analog stick, the characters would not move down or up. I don't know if it is just the game or my controller. I haven't had any issues with any other games I have tried.

Does anybody else have this issue or is it just me? Sorry, I searched in this thread and the Folklore thread and couldn't find anything on this.[/quote]

I'm playing Folklore with a DS and I have no issues at all with it.

[quote name='y2kenjination']Just thought I'd say that Uncharted is fuckING amazing with rumble.[/quote]

Hopefully I'll be playing it tomorrow.

Though the demo was good.

still waiting mine shipped on the 10th. used $8 off $50 code. used lowest shipping was $6 and some change.

My cousin in Hong Kong says they sell for around $349 HKD which is equivalent to about $47 USD. I think I'm going to ask him to get me one, hopefully shipping won't be to bad

bread's done
Back