is bioshock scary?

Wow, this is weird. I spent the majority of the day at work conversing with a friend over email about this game and this very topic.

I want to like this game for the story, but the creepiness got to me the first time I tried playing. But, I have never, ever heard a single bad thing about the game. So, I decided to give it another try.

Come on! Let's all play scary games together and pee our pants!!

The beginning is the creepiest part. Then it becomes a semi-explore and shooter. Nothing scary till you get towards the Theater district. And then it isn't scary, just..disturbing in an off beat sort of way.

I was only scared once in this game, OP don't click because I don't want to ruin it for you but
When it starts getting icy and you pick up that plasmid or whatever and the room fills with steam, and when you turn around as at it starts to dissipated and there's a dude just right in your face staring at you
but otherwise it was more of the atmosphere giving a constant unease and disturbing feeling.

"Scary", no. (Although there are definitely some jump-out-at-you moments.)
"Atmospheric" and creepy, yes. IMHO.
I thought parts of it were very creepy, but not in a "boo!" way. In a more intellectual way.

[quote name='dtcarson']"Scary", no. (Although there are definitely some jump-out-at-you moments.)
"Atmospheric" and creepy, yes. IMHO.
I thought parts of it were very creepy, but not in a "boo!" way. In a more intellectual way.[/QUOTE]
This.

[quote name='TheStoneAgeKing']This.[/QUOTE]

I second this. The atmosphere alone was pretty outstanding, this is still my top game on the Xbox 360. Nothing I've played on it before or since can really match the feeling I hat throughout this experience.

Anyone else not get scared at basically any video game (or movie) any more?

There are tense moments as others have said, but I wouldn't consider Bioshock a scary game.

I just finished the demo and the beginning is scary because I don't know what to expect. It was good , going to pick it up at gamestop now. Thanks for your opinions.

[quote name='georgeb76']As a father of a little girl it was the creepiest game i have ever played[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is a concerning factor for me, too.

wow really ? bioshock was scary, I guess maybe it just me, cause I it didnt even think Dead space or condemned were that scary.

I thought so, it created an atmosphere where I was always on my toes but I really can't remember anything happening. i just remember the dentist and the opera house being scary as shit for some reason.

Like other people were saying, the beginning is kinda scary. Everything's dark and fucked up and you have no idea what's going on since it's the beginning of the game. Most of the time after that it's just kind of creepy, with some scarier moments. I don't think I played it on a very hard difficulty, I think I had it on normal, but I'm not sure, it was reasonably easy and I never died, but if you die it's no problem you just respawn. If you're playing it and you get freaked out you can always play it on a lower difficulty so you feel more in control. For me, even if a game is scary it doesn't matter as long as it's not also so hard that something jumps the fuck out of nowhere and kills you and then you have to replay some whole section again.

It is more creepy than scary. I don't do well with scary movies or games in general but Bioshock moves quickly and has enough action that it never gets too scary.

I'm playing this now and it's definitely a fun game, but as for the story... it's as stupid as any other video game story. It makes absolutely no sense.

Airplane wreck. Find platform in ocean, go down elevator and then do everything your told by a weird person who seems to live there, including injecting unknown liquids into your body at the drop of a hat. Etc. Uh. OK.

It has great atmosphere and it's definitely fun, though. I think it's a bit scary at the start as others have noted, then I agree it is mostly just creepy, albeit with a continual "I don't know what's going to happen next" bit of scaryiness attached. I have quite a way to go yet, though, so I don't know how it plays out in the long haul yet. I think if you're easily scared and you don't like that feeling, then this probably isn't a good choice for you.

I thought the first few minutes were scary; in the medical area where the splicers started darting around in and out of the shadows. But after that, it's just a creepy atmosphere you get accustomed to quickly.

ah crunchewy, I wish I was as clueless about the story and hadn't had it ruined for me before I played it, lol.

Its scary philosophically when it draws from the nutter Ayn Rand :D but in terms of jump type scary, nah, I dont think so, definitely tense in places. Its a pretty good game. Im not as gaga over it as a lot of people, but I can definitely respect its merits. Its one of those games that will be remembered when this generation is over.

Have we all forgotten that the majority of the splicers attack you by charging full speed and screaming at you? That shit drives you nuts after a while.

[quote name='JJSP']Have we all forgotten that the majority of the splicers attack you by charging full speed and screaming at you? That shit drives you nuts after a while.[/QUOTE]

Its not as annoying as the witches in Left 4 Dead.

The splicers are nuts especially the spider ones. I don't know about you guys but, I nearly shat myself the first time I fought a BD on high difficulty.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Its not as annoying as the witches in Left 4 Dead.[/QUOTE]
Exactly.

The first time I ran into a Witch, I freaked the eff out.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm playing this now and it's definitely a fun game, but as for the story... it's as stupid as any other video game story. It makes absolutely no sense.

Airplane wreck. Find platform in ocean, go down elevator and then do everything your told by a weird person who seems to live there, including injecting unknown liquids into your body at the drop of a hat. Etc. Uh. OK.

It has great atmosphere and it's definitely fun, though. I think it's a bit scary at the start as others have noted, then I agree it is mostly just creepy, albeit with a continual "I don't know what's going to happen next" bit of scaryiness attached. I have quite a way to go yet, though, so I don't know how it plays out in the long haul yet. I think if you're easily scared and you don't like that feeling, then this probably isn't a good choice for you.[/QUOTE]

Your stupid. Finish the game before you comment on the story. It won't make sense till the end smart guy. Have you been paying attention at all? Have you listened to the audio diaries? If you don't know who Andrew Ryan is and why he's there then you should probably stop playing. Seriously. He's not just aome "weird person who seems to live there". He built it! He explains that in the first five minutes. Were you not listening? And some liquid? How do you not understand what the reasoning for plasmids are????????? Did you just start playing? Ah carumba guy.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Exactly.

The first time I ran into a Witch, I freaked the eff out.[/QUOTE]

Those witches are nucking futs.

First comes the red light and the singing. Then we get the screaming and the bleeding.

But yeah, Bioshock is creepy but not super jump out yo seat scary. Still an awesome game though.

[quote name='slickkill77']Your stupid. Finish the game before you comment on the story. It won't make sense till the end smart guy. Have you been paying attention at all? Have you listened to the audio diaries? If you don't know who Andrew Ryan is and why he's there then you should probably stop playing. Seriously. He's not just aome "weird person who seems to live there". He built it! He explains that in the first five minutes. Were you not listening? And some liquid? How do you not understand what the reasoning for plasmids are????????? Did you just start playing? Ah carumba guy.[/QUOTE]

I realize he says he built the place. I'm happy for the guy. If I were there I wouldn't be quite so willing to take the word of a stranger and do everything he says even if they claimed to have built the place (even if they had built the place - who cares?), especially when it comes to, say, injecting weird, glowing chemicals into my body. The "story" requires a massive amount of "suspension of disbelief" and that's fine since it moves the action forward, which is all you can really ask for in a game. As I said, it is a fun game. I really like it, so don't get your panties in a bunch.

[quote name='crunchewy']I realize he says he built the place. I'm happy for the guy. If I were there I wouldn't be quite so willing to take the word of a stranger and do everything he says even if they claimed to have built the place (even if they had built the place - who cares?), especially when it comes to, say, injecting weird, glowing chemicals into my body. The "story" requires a massive amount of "suspension of disbelief" and that's fine since it moves the action forward, which is all you can really ask for in a game. As I said, it is a fun game. I really like it, so don't get your panties in a bunch.[/QUOTE]

LOL. You still don't have any idea what you are talking about. ;)

[quote name='javeryh']LOL. You still don't have any idea what you are talking about. ;)[/QUOTE] No kidding. Would you kindly, stop posting on this subject?

Atlas didn't build the place, but anyway, Bioshock actually does one of the best jobs of taking nonsensical game actions and making sense of them. It just doesn't do it right away.

[quote name='klwillis45']No kidding. Would you kindly, stop posting on this subject?[/QUOTE]

Nice little reference :applause: exactly I guess the story went right over his head :roll:.

MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!

The guy who is "helping" you is Atlas, Andrew Ryan is the guy who built the place who is the "enemy". Andrew Ryan's forces kill Atlas's "family" and he vows revenge saying you must kill Ryan. Finally you find Ryan casually playing golf and he tells you the whole story. He is your father you were born two years ago in Rapture and modified to mature rapidly. Frank Fontaine designed you to obey orders that are preceded or followed by the specific phrase "Would you kindly..." When the conflict between Fontaine and Ryan reached a stalemate, You were sent instructions to board a flight with a package and to use its contents, a revolver, to hijack and crash the plane near the lighthouse; enabling him to return to Rapture as a tool of Fontaine. Finally, Ryan has you kill him, wanting to die on his own terms. The truth comes out you now realize too late that Atlas has also been using the trigger phrase to control you. Atlas reveals himself as Fontaine, who faked his death to throw Ryan off his trail and take control of the city.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']I appreciate SpazX's response. I'll avoid reading the spoiler and trust that it makes something akin to sense in the end.[/QUOTE]

I agree it does require suspension of belief to believe.

I've posted my opinion of Bioshock a couples times back in the official thread, but the story is really kind of hard to believe. Mainly because you get sent to the surface, are asked to hijack a plane, crash it in a very specific spot then hope to survive to do the bidding of Atlas, who I think probably could've done a lot of the shit he asked you to do in the game without all this ridiculous set up to get you into Rapture in the first place.

But that's just me.

I normally do not play scary/creepy games, but I powered through Bioshock in about 3 play sessions and loved it, and was only "scared" maybe 2-3x the whole game.

A game like Dead Space on the other hand, fuck that noise. Can't handle that game.

bread's done
Back