IS Brotherhood of the Wolf a good DVD purchase?

scott123456

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I like the Special Effects, martial art type movies like Underworld, Hellboy, X2, Van Helsing.

Is this DVD anything like that? Need some help to decide if I'm going to purchase used at Gamestop.

its okay. Its very european because it was made for europe. Its dubbed. Its kinda weird though. The martial arts arent that good either. Its nothing like those movies you have up there. Its not commercial at all.

I also liked it a lot. I thought it was a cross between Ghost and the Darkness and Iron Monkey, with great martial arts but weak special effects.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']its okay. Its very european because it was made for europe. Its dubbed. Its kinda weird though. The martial arts arent that good either. Its nothing like those movies you have up there. Its not commercial at all.[/quote]

I thought the martial arts were decent...I'm just wondering what you thought are some good martial arts movies then? Incidentally, I think it has the best dubbing I have ever seen in a movie.

[quote name='The Gifuto'][quote name='Chris Dillon']its okay. Its very european because it was made for europe. Its dubbed. Its kinda weird though. The martial arts arent that good either. Its nothing like those movies you have up there. Its not commercial at all.[/quote]

I thought the martial arts were decent...I'm just wondering what you thought are some good martial arts movies then? Incidentally, I think it has the best dubbing I have ever seen in a movie.[/quote]
I was shocked by the dubbing on the DVD, when I saw it in the theater it was sub-titled.

Some Great Martial Arts for me is Storm Riders, A Man Called Hero- pretty much anything by the Director Andrew Lau (Not specifically the actor but he is in some of his movies).

[quote name='Othergods'][quote name='The Gifuto'][quote name='Chris Dillon']its okay. Its very european because it was made for europe. Its dubbed. Its kinda weird though. The martial arts arent that good either. Its nothing like those movies you have up there. Its not commercial at all.[/quote]

I thought the martial arts were decent...I'm just wondering what you thought are some good martial arts movies then? Incidentally, I think it has the best dubbing I have ever seen in a movie.[/quote]
I was shocked by the dubbing on the DVD, when I saw it in the theater it was sub-titled.

Some Great Martial Arts for me is Storm Riders, A Man Called Hero- pretty much anything by the Director Andrew Lau (Not specifically the actor but he is in some of his movies).[/quote]

Yes, all great flicks (along with The Duel...part of the "Ekin Trilogy"). I also think that the last fight sequence in Legend of Drunken Master cannot be denied.

EDIT: Apologies to the OP for going off topic here

Any Bruce Lee Movie has awsome kung fu. Also the dubbing is good, i was just letting him know. I was just saying with the movies he listed as good movies to him are all very commercial. This movie isnt at all.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']Any Bruce Lee Movie has awsome kung fu. Also the dubbing is good, i was just letting him know. I was just saying with the movies he listed as good movies to him are all very commercial. This movie isnt at all.[/quote]

Yes, I agree, they are all very commercial. I wasn't trying to sound like I was attacking your point of view or anything..I was just wondering. Bruce Lee is the king, Chinese Connection is easily in my top 3 movies of all time.

It's rather awful, actually. Worst film France has made. It was the biggest budget film in the history of France, and it shows. The narrative is ridiculous in its use of time.

But, I suppose if you like those films, you might like it.

Holy Shit! Thank you so much for this thread! I was trying to think of the name of that movie all day yesterday, and it just wouldnt come out. Yeehee, now i must buy!

If you really like the movie you should buy the canadian special edition, the u.s. one is apparently edited to fit on one disc. Not worth it for me, but good to know for those that do want it.

I enjoyed the movie, and I've owned it since it came out on DVD.

You know, you can watch the subtitled version on the DVD, right? The dub is atrocious.

EEHHH....

It was alright.
If the sidekick was oriental, instead of native american, I think I would have identified with his character more.

Otherwise,... it was really drawn out.
Cool concept, but not worthy of my coveted collection.
:)
The film transfer wasn't the best, either.

Not worth buying,... but not a bad rainy day flick!

I thought the movie was decent...nothing GREAT though. I had it, but sold it.....

It was ok...rental, maybe a purchase if you REALLY are into it though

[quote name='The Gifuto'][quote name='Chris Dillon']its okay. Its very european because it was made for europe. Its dubbed. Its kinda weird though. The martial arts arent that good either. Its nothing like those movies you have up there. Its not commercial at all.[/quote]

Simple solution- watch the subtitled version.

An EXCELLENT film!! Mark Dacascos gives in impressive performance, as does the entire cast! I highly recommend it.

[quote name='Othergods']I liked it alot. It has some action and it has Monica Bellucci Naked in it, so it is a must have.[/quote]

I think it's only worth a rental. If nudity is your only reason for renting the film, my memory might be fuzzy because I saw it last year, but the "nude" scene with Monica was more PG-13 than R.

[quote name='drone8888']EEHHH....

It was alright.
If the sidekick was oriental, instead of native american, I think I would have identified with his character more.

Otherwise,... it was really drawn out.
Cool concept, but not worthy of my coveted collection.
The film transfer wasn't the best, either.

Not worth buying,... but not a bad rainy day flick!

:)[/quote]

Well if it helps any, the guy playing the native american was asian :whistle2:D

Name's Mark Dacascos and he's also in the live action version of the kick ass old school anime Crying Freeman. The live action version wasn't bad but it wasn't great either.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']its okay. Its very european because it was made for europe. Its dubbed. Its kinda weird though. The martial arts arent that good either. Its nothing like those movies you have up there. Its not commercial at all.[/quote]
Don't know how I missed this, but it's hardly "very european." And it's quite commercial.

bread's done
Back