is buy.com reliable ?

Horrible customer Service. TOok FOREVER to get someone to take care of a simple order cancellation.. no idea about the shipping.

I have never had any problems with anything from them. No complaints about shipping either. Ordered some RAM a couple weeks back on a Monday got it that Thursday.

They are legit, but their service is garbage. I ordered a Zune and after 2 weeks of it's status being "sent to warehouse" I email them and they tell me it's oos. I mean seriously, how hard is it to change the order status to let me know that? I quickly canceled after receiving their email (which took about 3 days to get a response from them btw).

Awesome if you live in California, not so great on shipping times anywhere else. They're in Aliso Viejo, and I'm in Fullerton - so even their slowest shipping is no more than two days to me. Just ordered from them Sliders S1/S2 on Wednesday night, it was sent to warehouse on Thursday, and shipped on Friday. Should have it by Monday.

As stated, customer service kind of sucks. Ordered a Xbox 360 and it said sent to warehouse for about ten days. Then it says out of stock so I cancel my order, get an Email confirming cancelation and I order from Amazon. Amazon ships 360 then 2 days later, Buy.com ships my Canceled 360. I was not home to refuse the package and my wonderful wife opened the box thinking it was our sons' Christmas presents. I had to get an RMA and pay Fed ex to send it back ($17.50). After about 5 days Fed ex says it arrived in California (and has a signature to prove it). 4 days later, Buy.com still says it hasn't recieved. I give them the Fed ex info and get an Email 3 days later that the warehouse has indeed recieved my return and to expect my Credit card refund in 5 days. Now 7 days later and the website still says "awaiting return" and my credit card still has the charge. I want the damn credit refund by Jan. 10th so I don't have to pay interest on an item I don't have but at this rate I doubt it will be wrapped up by then. I should have just ordered from Amazon to begin with but the 5% off coupon is costing me alot more..........

Buy.com's service is garbage. Any savings you may get on a single item will turn into mind-numbing headaches the first time they do something wrong. They cancel orders without ever informing you, and the status of their items and your orders are often wrong.

I've had a bad experience with Buy.com. I ordered Splinter Cell Chaos Theory for the Xbox about 2 years ago from them and when I got it (after slow shipping) it turned out to be the PS2 version. I had to call their CS who then told me I had to send it back to them and once THEY received it THEY would send me the correct version. SWEET! It took about 3-4 weeks in total for me to get the thing I ordered.

I've placed several orders there and never had an issue. Shipping is a bit on the slow side, but as long as I get what I ordered and in new condition it doesn't bother me too much.

7 years ago I use to buy dvd's like crazy from them because they were cheap when I use to live in Miami. They had some nice discounts back then like spend $200 dollars, and get $50 off. When ordering stuff over the phone, they would be nice enough to give me free shipping because "I spend a lot with them". Shipping was fast (2 days or so). Then they switched over to some other shipping so my orders took like 2 weeks to arrive :(

Haven't shopped with them since I moved back to VA because DVD prices got cheaper at B&M stores.

I have had one horrible experience with them- enough to make me not shop from them ever again!
I purchased the HD-DVD/DVD combo Army of Darkness from them & two days later received just the HD-DVD version (no combo). So I sent them this letter:
“I am returning your HD Army of Darkness, because that was not what I ordered. I am requesting either a full refund or a copy of Army of Darkness (HD/DVD combo). I prefer the movie over a refund. I have had no problems with buy.com in the past and I will still shop with your company in the future- but I am a little disappointed with this order. If this is in fact the correct order, then you need to change your description and photo off your website.”
They responded with this:
“Please note that we cannot honor your request for a Return Merchandise Authorization number (RMA#) as the 14 days return time frame is over. However, some product manufacturers offer warranty replacement or repair services.”
14 Days?? WTF?? I just ordered the movie 2 days ago......
..to make a long story short, I sent them 2 more emails (of which they responded with the “beat around the bush” tactic) and I just kept the movie. This was back in July and I still have not ordered from them since then.....oh and BTW the movie still has the same photo & description:
HD-DVD only version
http://www.buy.com/prod/army-of-darkness-hd-dvd-combo/q/loc/322/204364765.html

HD-DVD/DVD combo
http://www.buy.com/prod/army-of-darkness-hd-dvd-combo/q/loc/322/202827787.html

your guys story scared me lol.... anyway turns out Frys has it on sale this week for $49.99 with a $20.00 mail in rebate! I pulled the trigger on this one and used it at the gym great sound and didn't fall off while bench pressing my ipod headphones always fall off during this exercise overall 9/10

I've bought some books from them and had no issues. I'm still waiting on my Xbox 360 from them, but I'm a cheapskate and went with the free 7 to 9 business day shipping. Around the holidays I wouldn't even expect it to show up for about 2 weeks.

Every place has issues. I'm sure if you made this same thread about Amazon you'd get all the people posting their horror stories.

i bought a memory card and a dvd (as a stocking stuffer) from them around dec 6th. the memory card arrived just YESTERDAY (jan 2nd)...couldnt even use it for the holidays, which is why i bought them in the first place. and im still waiting on the stocking stuffer. good times. but before this, never had a problem, though shipping was always slow it always got here within 2 weeks. and i live in chitown. go figure.

They're horrible at handling backorders too. Long story short, if something you order is backordered on the site or becomes backordered after putting in your order, you might as well forget about ever receiving it. :\

I don't like them much anymore. I haven't ordered from them since Black Friday, after screwing me out of gettting Office season 2 for a decent price by cancelling it on me. That is, until Target.com had it on sale a week or so later for a similar price.

[quote name='Matsumoto11756']As stated, customer service kind of sucks. Ordered a Xbox 360 and it said sent to warehouse for about ten days. Then it says out of stock so I cancel my order, get an Email confirming cancelation and I order from Amazon. Amazon ships 360 then 2 days later, Buy.com ships my Canceled 360. I was not home to refuse the package and my wonderful wife opened the box thinking it was our sons' Christmas presents. I had to get an RMA and pay Fed ex to send it back ($17.50). After about 5 days Fed ex says it arrived in California (and has a signature to prove it). 4 days later, Buy.com still says it hasn't recieved. I give them the Fed ex info and get an Email 3 days later that the warehouse has indeed recieved my return and to expect my Credit card refund in 5 days. Now 7 days later and the website still says "awaiting return" and my credit card still has the charge. I want the damn credit refund by Jan. 10th so I don't have to pay interest on an item I don't have but at this rate I doubt it will be wrapped up by then. I should have just ordered from Amazon to begin with but the 5% off coupon is costing me alot more..........[/QUOTE]
Well, just an update. I still haven't gotten my credit card refunded and the Buy.com website still says awaiting return. I'll wait a few more days (it's been 12 days already)because of the Holidays but this is kind of lame. I ordered a printer from them long ago and all went well. They did however ship the printer in the retail box and UPS left the box in my driveway for all to see. It's a miracle no one stole the stupid thing!

it depends how they ship it. i've always used the budget shipping which they claim tkes 7 to 9 days and have had experiences where it takes the full 9 days for the package to arrive (when they use USPS), but also where it only took 2 days (when they use UPS) - less then what they said.

so based on my experience it depends on what mail service they choose for you (i've only used the free budget shipping so I've had no say in it, they choose).

i've heard horror stories about buy.com, but i got a gift card for them from my uncle and used them to burn it... but my overall experience has been good with them.

Didn't like it. Ordered RAM which was in stock, then got an e-mail saying it was backordered. Took weeks to get to me.

Is it just me, or is registering a new Gmail account for the discount not working anymore? Did they finally implement some sort of IP tracker? Then again, I only tried it with one product. It could just be that product (which would come out just about the same if I bought it in-store).

[quote name='KoalaBob']Is it just me, or is registering a new Gmail account for the discount not working anymore? Did they finally implement some sort of IP tracker? Then again, I only tried it with one product. It could just be that product (which would come out just about the same if I bought it in-store).[/QUOTE]

I think it's using the same Credit Card over and over.. at least that's what I think.

I like 'em and if it's in stock I get my stuff really quickly (even with free shipping). $10 google checkout offer makes the site almost better than Amazon.

As for repeated Google, the best bet would be to use a diff. credit card & E-mail each time...

bread's done
Back