Is buying refubrished/used 360 worth it?

Mr. Pink

CAGiversary!
Today I found some great Ebay seller who is a powerseller with over 1.2k+ positive feedback. He mainly sells refubrished Premium 360s. The 360s he sells only cost $250 and come with a free 30 day warranty. But with increased 360s failure rate is it worth taking the risk by trying to save some money right now? Or should I just pay $350 for a brand new one with guranteed whole 1 year warranty (3 years in case of Threed Red Rings)?

Oh yea, almost forgot to link his Ebay Profile

http://myworld.ebay.com/diegofcardenas/

You could buy it and it would still be covered by the red rings. You'd just need to make sure it the warranty wasn't voided by aftermarket tinkering or opening up the case.

Microsoft just wants the serial number when you try to return it, no history of the console or proof of purchase.

If you are concerned about it crapping out, do what I did and buy it at BB and drop the extra $40 for their 2yr warranty. If anything happens to it jsut take it back in and walk out with a new one. I had to and it only cost me another $40 to put a new warranty on it. That's the easiest and quickest way IMO.

I would like to add some things to think about for any console:

If it is an eBay powerseller with tons of feedback, the odds that this is a gently used one-owner problem-free console are pretty low.

The more things this person sells, the less time s/he has spent with the console. It probably powers on and boots a game. Maybe it was refurbished. But from there, who knows?

It may be guaranteed for 30 days, but you'd still have to ship it back.

Looking at his page, he buys and sells video game systems at the "wholesale" level. So he buys a lot of consoles, and pays people (or other resellers!) cheap enough to make a profit on eBay.

How does he get all these 360s? Apart from reliability concerns, this is a great time for the 360. Unlike a PS2, XBOX, or GC, people aren't trading them up. So, unless someone really needed money, why would they get rid of a perfectly working 360?

[quote name='blandstalker']I would like to add some things to think about for any console:

If it is an eBay powerseller with tons of feedback, the odds that this is a gently used one-owner problem-free console are pretty low.

The more things this person sells, the less time s/he has spent with the console. It probably powers on and boots a game. Maybe it was refurbished. But from there, who knows?

It may be guaranteed for 30 days, but you'd still have to ship it back.

Looking at his page, he buys and sells video game systems at the "wholesale" level. So he buys a lot of consoles, and pays people (or other resellers!) cheap enough to make a profit on eBay.

How does he get all these 360s? Apart from reliability concerns, this is a great time for the 360. Unlike a PS2, XBOX, or GC, people aren't trading them up. So, unless someone really needed money, why would they get rid of a perfectly working 360?[/quote]

Hm thanks, but what if would it make any difference if I would try to buy it from somewhere else? I am talking about buying a used 360 at general.

I would never buy a used/refurb system on ebay. Like others have already mentioned, it could be XBox Live banned or something else might be wrong with it. BestBuy or Gamestop (If you still want to buy it used) would be your best choice.

[quote name='Mr. Pink']Hm thanks, but what if would it make any difference if I would try to buy it from somewhere else? I am talking about buying a used 360 at general.[/quote]

You might consider looking on eBay or Craigslist for someone who is selling their own personal system, because they have to move or are getting out of videogames or something. This is, of course, no guarantee that the machine doesn't have problems: someone might be dumping it because it's starting to die.

Not sure I would want one from GS, but at least there you can get a warranty and exchange them if something's wrong.

Ya, but i wouldnt buy the warranty from them. Read the customer reviews on the warranty service on their own site, it's terrible.

But don't brand new 360s have 3 year Microsoft warranty for general hardware failure?

I wasn't planning on buying the store's warranty.

[quote name='Mr. Pink']But don't brand new 360s have 3 year Microsoft warranty for general hardware failure?[/quote]

I believe it's one year for general failures and three years for the Red Ring of Death. There's this thread about someone here who has a general failure but is outside the 1 year warranty and is trying to force his 360 to RROD.

there are plenty of better deals. i don't trust these refurbs/used consoles by power sellers. at circuit city now i believe you get the newer style hdmi/fan system for $350 and tennis table plus an extra controller. a little more money but you get the microsoft warranty and you have someone to bring the system back in case something happens.

plus you can go pickup the system now instead of waiting. look around the forums, i'm sure there are more deals like this floating around.

The only way I'd buy a used console from ebay if it was crazy cheap, or a console that's not available new, and even then I expect to pay less than MSRP, not more (ie, I don't pay 1k for a Wii on ebay). I'd rather spend 50 bucks more or so and get brand new from a legit retailer/etailer where I get a receipt and a return policy.

I bought a used one through craigslist and saved a lot of cash while still knowing for sure that the console was perfect. We met at a local gamestop and they let you hook consoles up in the store, so he loaded up a game and played for a couple minutes so I knew it was functional. Also I saved a ton of cash (bought it in july for $400 and it came with 9 games, many of them recent releases). Soooo try local ads :).

Go with Craigslist all the way. Be aggressive and call/email every 360 lot you're interested in then do what any CAG would do and beat them down!

I got a 360 with all cables and headset with two wireless controllers and 9 games (gears, NCAA 07, tiger 07, Kameo, need for speed, GRAW1, MLB2k6, Saints Row, Tony Hawk Underground) for 450!

I have had it for about 6 mos. now and play it a TON and so far so good! No RROD.

*goes to knock on wood*

Some Gamestop stores have them Refirb Cores for 189.99. The one I got was still eligible for warranty coverage when i registered it on xbox.com/

[quote name='pittpizza']Go with Craigslist all the way. Be aggressive and call/email every 360 lot you're interested in then do what any CAG would do and beat them down!

I got a 360 with all cables and headset with two wireless controllers and 9 games (gears, NCAA 07, tiger 07, Kameo, need for speed, GRAW1, MLB2k6, Saints Row, Tony Hawk Underground) for 450!

I have had it for about 6 mos. now and play it a TON and so far so good! No RROD.

*goes to knock on wood*[/quote]

I keep on hearing people saying "Craigslist". I am kind of new to the site, so can anybody explain what excatly it is?

Go to www.craigslist.com and check it out for yourself. Basically it is like bargain website where people can sell and buy things themselves. It is like one online giant classifieds section of a newspaper. All craigslist does is gather and publish the information and let the buyers and sellers set up everything else themselves via the phone or email.

[quote name='pittpizza']Go to www.craigslist.com and check it out for yourself. Basically it is like bargain website where people can sell and buy things themselves. It is like one online giant classifieds section of a newspaper. All craigslist does is gather and publish the information and let the buyers and sellers set up everything else themselves via the phone or email.[/quote]

Sweet, thanks.

bread's done
Back