Is Canada not getting the Mass Effect Collector's Edition?

Skardee

CAGiversary!
I went to the EB Games in Hyde Park and asked to put $5 down on Mass Effect and asked if they had the CE of it, but it wasn't even listed in their system! I then looked on Best Buy, Future Shop, and Amazon and none of them have the CE either. Of all the Collector's editions of games, this is by far one of (if not the) best:

• A Mass Effect fiction book titled "Galactic Codex: Essentials"
  • A 36-page guide to the Mass Effect universe, including a Citadel timeline and a guide to all non-human races, biotics and the key locations in the Perseus arm of the galaxy
  • An additional Mass Effect art book titled "A Future Imagined"
  • A 36-page collection of BioWare's concept art for the game
  • A bonus DVD of exclusive Mass Effect background material and additional content including:
    "The Vision of Mass Effect" documentary
    "The Making of Mass Effect" documentary
    "Interactive Storytelling" documentary
    "Inside BioWare" documentary
  • 18 Mass Effect themed gamer pics (three unique sets of six)
  • 16 dashboard themes (four unique sets of four)
  • Ten songs from the Mass Effect soundtrack
  • Five historical Mass Effect trailers from X05 through E3 2007 and the official TV trailer
  • A demo for Blue Dragon and videos for Lost Odyssey, Halo 3 and Halo Wars
  • Design galleries featuring 600 concept images fully commented by the Art Directors
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/829/829109p1.html

Damn I really want this :(

"Please note: Due to extremely limited quantities from the manufacturer, Mass Effect Limited Edition is being offered online only and is not available for pre-order in our stores."

From EBGames.com, explains why EB Canada is likely not going to preorder it

It's obvious MGS can't afford to produce any more copies of Mass Effect CE, given all the money they lost on the Halo 3 flop.

This is lame :(

The CE might push me over the edge. I sold my 360... skipping Bioshock was tough. Skipping this will really test my will.

Nah its just they believe in keeping a "limited collector's edition" limited. Besides I highly doubt they make any money on the CE, the real money will be in the regular version. Ironic though how a Canadian made game will be Collector's Edition-less in Canada.

[quote name='Corizzle']"Please note: Due to extremely limited quantities from the manufacturer, Mass Effect Limited Edition is being offered online only and is not available for pre-order in our stores."

From EBGames.com, explains why EB Canada is likely not going to preorder it
[/quote]

Amazon has it too, I saw it for preorder there today.

Maybe you can buy from Amazon in the US and have it shipped to Canada?

TBW

PS I've got mine ordered from GS, I'll be pissed if I don't get it, but not at all surprised if I don't.

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']Amazon has it too, I saw it for preorder there today.

Maybe you can buy from Amazon in the US and have it shipped to Canada?

TBW

PS I've got mine ordered from GS, I'll be pissed if I don't get it, but not at all surprised if I don't.[/quote]

for reasons beyond our comprehension amazon.com does not ship video games to Canada :(

Yeah I looked at Amazon and EB US and they both said that Mass Effect LCE cannot be shipped internationally.

[quote name='imcrazy']Nah its just they believe in keeping a "limited collector's edition" limited.[/quote]
Hasn't stopped MGS from pumping out a crap-load of CEs for Gears of War and Halo 3. Something isn't right here...

[quote name='imcrazy']Nah its just they believe in keeping a "limited collector's edition" limited. Besides I highly doubt they make any money on the CE, the real money will be in the regular version. Ironic though how a Canadian made game will be Collector's Edition-less in Canada.[/quote]

True, but does that warrent shutting out the ENTIRE Canadian video game market in an effort to make the game "limited"? Hell we even have a smaller population than the U.S., so why not give us the limited?

"Ironic though how a Canadian made game will be Collector's Edition-less in Canada."

Just adding insult to injury.

Well it now seems half the goodies of the CE will be available from a preorder of the reg edition.

• A bonus DVD of exclusive Mass Effect background material and additional content including:
    "The Vision of Mass Effect" documentary
    "The Making of Mass Effect" documentary
    "Interactive Storytelling" documentary
    "Inside BioWare" documentary
  • 18 Mass Effect themed gamer pics (three unique sets of six)
  • 16 dashboard themes (four unique sets of four)
  • Ten songs from the Mass Effect soundtrack
  • Five historical Mass Effect trailers from X05 through E3 2007 and the official TV trailer
  • A demo for Blue Dragon and videos for Lost Odyssey, Halo 3 and Halo Wars
  • Design galleries featuring 600 concept images fully commented by the Art Directors
I think there is a pretty good chance we will at least see this in Canada.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=B200168A

In the US and Canada the Limited Collector's Edition is ONLY available through online orders. It will NOT be sold in stores.

Current participating online retailers include(please check your local favorite for more information):
· GameStop/EB Games
· Best Buy
· Amazon
· Circuit City
Very subjective. Since none of those places have the CE in their online system up here, maybe they are hinting that Canadians have to buy online from an American site and get it shipped here. OH AWESOME :|

I was told from an EB employee that it was because the packaging of the CE and the content on the Bonus DVD was not bilingual and since that is the law in Canada, we can't have it here... pretty stupid huh?

I think I'll be in the US the week it comes out, I'm going to try and get it from there if I have enough time to shop (going for work).

[quote name='cknewdeal']I was told from an EB employee that it was because the packaging of the CE and the content on the Bonus DVD was not bilingual and since that is the law in Canada, we can't have it here... pretty stupid huh?
[/quote]

Oh right, it must be VERY important to have "Le Effect Mass" on the damn cover.

[quote name='dave17']who makes up these gay bi lingual laws, I doubt most french canadians dont even care.[/quote]
I'm French Canadian and I care....but the other way around. I'm a game collector and I hate bi-langual box art. I even took the time and money to order a Half Life Orange Box from the US just so that I wouldn't have to buy the ''La Boite Orange'' version. I really hope that we won't start to miss out on games beacuse of bi-langual law.

[quote name='titanium']I'm French Canadian and I care....but the other way around. I'm a game collector and I hate bi-langual box art. I even took the time and money to order a Half Life Orange Box from the US just so that I wouldn't have to buy the ''La Boite Orange'' version. I really hope that we won't start to miss out on games beacuse of bi-langual law.[/quote]
It doesnt make sense. You're playing videogames in french and want the box cover in english?

[quote name='thelostdude']It doesnt make sense. You're playing videogames in french and want the box cover in english?[/quote]

That's the funny part - the games are never (rarely maybe?) in french, only the box/instructions. It's really quite poor, because I'm quite sure that a french speaking person is no better off for being able to read the manual, in the grand scheme of things. I can't read japanese, and playing a japanese game while having an english manual isn't really going to help me at all. It's silly.

[quote name='thelostdude']It doesnt make sense. You're playing videogames in french and want the box cover in english?[/quote]

Nah, I'm French Canadian, that doesn't mean that I play games in French. I play all my games in their original languages. Well, Japanese games that have a lot of text, I usually wait for an English dub. I hate dubbing in movies so I also hate it for games. If I can, I always prefer playing in the original language of the game with subtitles in english. But you know, being French Canadian doesn't prevent me from understanding, talking and writing in English. Since I work in the game industry, English is pretty much necessary.

I took up to OAC French, and I'm not biased against French Canadians.. But a pet peeve of mine is having dual language boxes for DVDs and Games.

The clutter involved just ruins the box art in my opinion. I know that it doesn't affect the actual game or movie but the design just looks worse to me.For example sometimes the boxes have 2 different titles on the cover and the back of the box is a cluttered mess with 2 separate paragraphs with small print.

I rather just have the box arts in English only. I could see how releasing a bilingual or french only version in Quebec is fine but I prefer having one language on the packaging. Best Buy is usally good for getting single language titles because games sometimes come bundled in shrink wrap with an extra cover or french manual separately.

[quote name='X-Factor']I rather just have the box arts in English only. I could see how releasing a bilingual or french only version in Quebec is fine but I prefer having one language on the packaging. Best Buy is usally good for getting single language titles because games sometimes come bundled in shrink wrap with an extra cover or french manual separately.[/quote]

I don't know what happened to this. All the game i've used to buy new were double shrink wrapped with a french cover and a french manual (WHICH WAS ALWAYS TOO BIG TO GET IN THE BOX!) but i never bother to read it even though i'm french :bouncy:

I am really choked about this. I've talked myself into buying another 360 just so that I can play this game. The extras would be fully appreciated by this gamer. I guess I will have to get it on eBay.

[quote name='marcus12024']That's the funny part - the games are never (rarely maybe?) in french, only the box/instructions. It's really quite poor, because I'm quite sure that a french speaking person is no better off for being able to read the manual, in the grand scheme of things. I can't read japanese, and playing a japanese game while having an english manual isn't really going to help me at all. It's silly.[/quote] They're actually trying to revise the law requiring games sold in Quebec to have French options in game, or else they'll be banned. If that happens Quebec game stores will only have like 12 games :roll: Of course I do hope that does happen, cause we'll probably lose the fucking bilingual packaging then :applause:

You're missing the point, its not just the box art, it's the bonus DVD features have to be in both french and englishl and they are not, box art can be changed at the last minute, but they would have to go back and redo all the bonus movies.

[quote name='ragnar14']They're actually trying to revise the law requiring games sold in Quebec to have French options in game, or else they'll be banned. If that happens Quebec game stores will only have like 12 games :roll: Of course I do hope that does happen, cause we'll probably lose the fucking bilingual packaging then :applause:[/quote]

That's only if it's offered in French somewhere else though. So as soon as France gets the game, they'll need to stick some French into the NTSC versions.

so did anyone ever get that DVD or was it not handed out in canada as a pre order bonus? i didnt even preorder it i just knew the guy so he gave me one while i was in the store (in kansas)

Didn't bother reading the whole topic, but Best Buy has the ME collector's edition listed, although that's probably already been established >_>

It pains me to say it...but I won't be getting the CE. With everyone claiming that canada was not getting the CE I went ahead and pre-ordered at EB, guess im kind of stuck now.

[quote name='tymcg']It pains me to say it...but I won't be getting the CE. With everyone claiming that canada was not getting the CE I went ahead and pre-ordered at EB, guess im kind of stuck now.[/quote]

Not necessarily. You can probably ask to switch it to GTA IV or Burnout Paradise, or something.

bread's done
Back