Is Final Fantasy XII worth it?

DrunkTigerWoods

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (92%)
I started playing it the other day and im about 3 hours into the game and im very bored. I realize thats not very far but I find the story and characters are uninteresting and I do not like the combat system. I recently finished FFII and although it had problems, I found it more enjoyable to play though. I just want to know does it get better or should I just quit now?

I found the battle system confusing. Overall the game feels like an MMO without an internet connection which I really didn't like.

I really liked FFX though, 12 just seemed boring and drab story and color wise.

I just picked up this game...
Combat system is totally different than previous FF games..

I am too used to the turn based system.. still trying to get use to this..

[quote name='harunim']I just picked up this game...
Combat system is totally different than previous FF games..

I am too used to the turn based system.. still trying to get use to this..[/QUOTE]

I just finished the game last week, and loved the experience. I think it has one of the better stories (IMO, up there with FF6).

That being said, my one real gripe was the gambit system early on. Because you have to buy/find gambits before you can use them, it limits your ability to automate things. It helps to know that 'Ally: any' (or something like that) can be used to trigger status effect spells (e.g. Blindna).
- Buy 6 golden amulets as soon as you can (doubling AP earned makes the license board much easier to work with).
- Check a FAQ / guide early to find out what chests you can't open if you want to obtain the Zodiac Spear!!!
- Don't wait to obtain quickenings for your key characters; when you have them all, your characters will have triple their normal MP.

OP, you are not alone. Although I did spend 60+ hours to beat the game, I felt NOTHING for the characters. The story was not compelling at all and felt more like "beat dungeon, grind for 2 hours, beat next dungeon, go grind some more, wash rinse repeat." FFX was a much more enjoyable experience, hell I would say I had more fun playing FFX-2 than 12.

I'm about 7 hours in and loving it.

that is, aside from buying equipment, spells, and spending time on their licence board only to have them leave the party at the next available cutscene!

overall, though.. i'm super pumped about the no random battles situation.

[quote name='Halo05']I loved the game until about 15 hours in, at that point I put it down and have yet to pick it up again.[/quote]

Same here. Got about 16 hours in then just couldn't bear to "watch" any more battles. Give me Valkyrie Profile 2 any day.

If you don't like the battle system, you wont like the game. This is more of a dungeon crawler than a cutscene-fest. I personally enjoyed it.

No random battles made me love this game.

Combat isn't the greatest, but I'll take it over turn based any day.

Story was also my favorite out of the FF games I have played. Focuses more on the big picture instead of just your group.

Now I'm about 7 hrs into the game..

Can't say I love the game as much as previous FF series and I played III, VII, VIII, IX, X..

For example, FF X had me going for hours and hours.. feeling intrigued for next chapter. But FF XII just don't do it for me..

Maybe I am getting old for video games..??

FFXII has a lame story and lame characters. I don't know how you could feel for any of the characters at all. The combat is the best part about the game. I would have preferred a creative turn-based game but hack and slash worked great.

I'd give the game a little more time before giving up on it. It gets fun once you hit the world map and start running around doing stuff.

[quote name='APE992']I found the battle system confusing. Overall the game feels like an MMO without an internet connection which I really didn't like.

I really liked FFX though, 12 just seemed boring and drab story and color wise.[/quote]
Did you not know that before you bought the game?

12 a few of my collage classmate recomend to me to best way to get into the series since i coming from a PC gamer veiw point Tired othe console JRPG didn't get into them. It feels and play much like MMORPG, and it works fine for me cause that currently my fav along with fighters. FF12 is great game for gamers are used to a more PC/MMO game than a JRPG.

Bugs me still that i can't choose the dialog between PC and NPC :roll:

While the story disappointed in terms of its supposed "blaze of political splendor" of a story, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The game grows on me after all these months. I hated the battle system at first but I grew to tolerate it and I even liked it at the end. It was nice to plow through easy guys that I would just press attack once for anyway. I've tried to go back to regular turn based RPGs afterwards and I'm not sure I can get back into them right now. KOTOR, Tales of Symphonia, and FFXII finally turned me on to action RPGS and I can't go back now.

bread's done
Back