Is GS stealing my credit?

DarkRider23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I logged into my PowerUp Rewards card today to see how many points I had and noticed something odd. I had points from a purchase I never did.

Here's the screen cap.

uOluC.png

I blocked out the store number for obvious reasons. Am I reading this wrong or did the employees cancel preorders I had and use my $30 to buy MS Points?

Edit - And for those wondering, I know for a fact I did not visit that particular store on Feb 5th. Last time I stepped foot in a GS was Feb 1st to buy SMT: Persona 2.

I don't understand what I'm looking at. Did you put $30 towards BF3 and never pick it up?

Then you're thinking that $30 credit you should have was spent on that XBox Live purchase?

[quote name='GBAstar']I don't understand what I'm looking at. Did you put $30 towards BF3 and never pick it up?

Then you're thinking that $30 credit you should have was spent on that XBox Live purchase?[/QUOTE]

Yup. I actually forgot about that BF3 preorder, so I never picked it up. Kind of a dumb move, but you would think the store would call you and tell you that you have credit sitting around.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Yup. I actually forgot about that BF3 preorder, so I never picked it up. Kind of a dumb move, but you would think the store would call you and tell you that you have credit sitting around.[/QUOTE]

.....or wait a long enough time to think you won't pick it up then use your $ for MS pts.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Yup. I actually forgot about that BF3 preorder, so I never picked it up. Kind of a dumb move, but you would think the store would call you and tell you that you have credit sitting around.[/QUOTE]

Just like retailers and banks do when you don't spend your giftcard balance, right? Oh wait...

Is this a shady practice? Yeah, it is. But GS isn't the only store who does something like this. Go to the store and ask them for the money/credit back. If they deny it, then you have a real issue...

OP, contact a site like Kotaku with this story. You'll get a positive resolution from the negative publicity and the gaming community on the internet can rage at GameStop even more.

[quote name='J7.']Could be someone stole your card and used it.[/QUOTE]

It's more likely that an employee was going through and seeing if someone never picked up a pre-order. They saw his open pre-order, canceled it and cashed it out for MS points. There's been a couple topics in the past about this because of thieving GS employees.

OP, if you're going to confront the store about it, go on a day when the store manager is there and discuss it with him. If they're no help, try contacting the DM for your area.

[quote name='kodave']op, contact a site like kotaku with this story. You'll get a positive resolution from the negative publicity and the gaming community on the internet can rage at gamestop even more.[/quote]
This. Contact Kotaku and Consumerist NOW!

[quote name='Guerrilla']This. Contact Kotaku and Consumerist NOW![/QUOTE]

This is really an overreaction until after he talks to the store manager himself.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Don't forget the glitter gun and to knock over some magazine racks if they deny you your credit.;)[/QUOTE]

WOW nice old school reference on the magazine rack...was the glitter gun part of that story too?

[quote name='yourlefthand']This is really an overreaction until after he talks to the store manager himself.[/QUOTE]

Unless...... it was the manager who did this.

You should still submit it to Kotaku first imo, since others have mentioned this has happened before, there needs to be some changes to the system.

[quote name='yourlefthand']This is really an overreaction until after he talks to the store manager himself.[/QUOTE]
Ruin all my fun. :cry:

Yes, it's a bit over the top. However, I'd skip talking to the store manager and go directly to the district manager, on the chance that the store manager did it. Still, post the story to Kotaku, and if the DM doesn't fix it, the Consumerist as well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Don't forget the glitter gun and to knock over some magazine racks if they deny you your credit.;)[/QUOTE]

I think the magazine rack has been replaced by the gift card rack these days.

Lazy kids and their blasted gift cards....

[quote name='HydroX']I think the magazine rack has been replaced by the gift card rack these days.

Lazy kids and their blasted gift cards....[/QUOTE]
I was tempted a couple Halloweens ago to hire some kids to go into my closest GS store and just run around in there with their arms out knocking everything they can off the shelves as they go, then rinse and repeat at a couple more GS stores around here for chuckles.:)

Either that or hiring a homeless guy to go squat and take a crap right in one of the big metal game bins. Not like people would notice the difference in smell between those putrid games and the hobo's dook.:lol:

[quote name='Guerrilla']Ruin all my fun. :cry:

Yes, it's a bit over the top. However, I'd skip talking to the store manager and go directly to the district manager, on the chance that the store manager did it. Still, post the story to Kotaku, and if the DM doesn't fix it, the Consumerist as well.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should go straight to the president of the company! After all, it may have been the DM that did it!

I would definitely bring that to the attention of the store manager. It is actually a pretty common scam that some of the employees do where they fish for any preorders that are older and have more than a 5 dollar deposit and redeem them for themselves. If you contact the store manager he will get with LP and fire the person who did this and get your credit back, probably with some extra cred thrown on top as a customer service thing.

I would just go into that particular store and ask them about it. If they deny it then I'd ask to see security cameras on that particular day and around the time of purchase. That should give you anything you need to get them to confess and give you the credit back. If though it fails then go contact the dm.

Beginning to think he just screencapped his last transaction and made up the story. Sure would like to see an update.

[quote name='yourlefthand']Maybe you should go straight to the president of the company! After all, it may have been the DM that did it![/QUOTE]

Shit, you're right. This conspiracy could be bigger than I thought. You need to escalate this to the President
of the United States
. Don't trust anyone at Gamestop. Notify the FBI, CIA, ATF, and FDA while you're at it.

At the stores I've been to the managers are the shady'st ones, always charging a disc scratch fee when the game is spotless and saying that they charge it one every game that is disc based. My bet is manager vs regular employee.

I've actually seen similar things on my account, but they've always been giving me additional points, so I never explored it :V I always figured there was an error that was applying points for purchases after mine by people that had no card to my account.

Only thing I've ever seen like this was Black Ops shown as purchased back when it first came out. I knew my dad was getting me that for Christmas so I figured it was either him giving them my number when they asked him if he had a membership card, or just an error. Either way, I didn't complain about the free points.

I've always had this suspicion that my Pre-orders were disappearing... I'd go in and be like "what games do I have preordered?" and they'd name off 1 or 2, when I knew damn well I had more than that preordered.... I figured after awhile some just run out (which is still kinda shitty) but if I find out someones stealing my credit I'm gonna be pissed. my brother has noticed this same thing on his account, where preorders are disappearing, i dont know if its just them running out after a certain time or something more sinister, but i'm definitely gonna be keeping better track of exactly what i preorder and how much credit i have on each game from now on

I hadn't been to a GS in close to 2 years for obvious reasons. When I left the store I felt like I had done battle with a shady car dealership. :)

[quote name='Rodster']I hadn't been to a GS in close to 2 years for obvious reasons.[/QUOTE]

You don't like getting some good deals? Why are you on CAG?

[quote name='yourlefthand']You don't like getting some good deals? Why are you on CAG?[/QUOTE]
Yeah I like good deals which is why I buy from Amazon and Newegg when they have deals. I just don't like dealing with sleaze ball companies like GS. :lol:
gamestop-crying-kid.jpg

Updates on this? Sounds like a shady employee, if this happened to me I would probably go as far as pressing criminal charges against whomever did it if it were discovered to be an employee.

I recall a few years ago I preordered a 360 game. On release date to pick it up, they couldnt find it even though I had the receipt that showed I preordered the game. Eventually the manager came over and manually adjusted it to give it to me, showed as a discount on the reciept. Of course I never investigated further into it since they did give me credit towards the game, but definetly along the same lines.

[quote name='Rodster']I hadn't been to a GS in close to 2 years for obvious reasons. When I left the store I felt like I had done battle with a shady car dealership. :)[/QUOTE]

Cool story, bro. You should tell it at parties...

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Cool story, bro. You should tell it at parties...[/QUOTE]
You can usually tell when someone on CAG works for Gamestop. Don't take it so personal. :lol::applause:

bread's done
Back