Is Halo 2 the most over rated game of all time IYO?

Halo 2 was mediocre at it's finest. I really should need no explanation, but I guess I'm going to have to.

The only reason people love Halo is because it was a decent FPS for a system that was FPS starved. If it wasn't Halo, it would've been something else. Halo has added ABSOLUTELY nothing to the genre except sticky grenades.

One of the most hyped features, dual weilding, is laughable. I played Goldeneye 007 on N64 and you could not only dual wield every weapon, but you could have all weapons at once.

Halo 2 is more of the same, which isn't a bad thing, but it's not a good thing. They had balls by risking the story mode the way they did. The online mode is nothing special, it's a glimpse at what SHOULD be a standard online mode. The stat tracking on bungie.net , however, is quite impressive. No matter how much you want to argue, the multiplayer is quite unbalanced, the story mode sucked, the popup would be criticized on any other game. If you don't have Live, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy Halo 2.

But the most overrated and overhyped game would have to be Soul Calibur 2.

[quote name='Scorch']
But the most overrated and overhyped game would have to be Soul Calibur 2.[/quote]

Now do you mean soul calibur 2 or the bonus characters? Remember kids collect them all! :lol:

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Scorch']
But the most overrated and overhyped game would have to be Soul Calibur 2.[/quote]

Now do you mean soul calibur 2 or the bonus characters? Remember kids collect them all! :lol:[/quote]

Heh... I remember how everyone was hyping this to be the god of all fighting games, the end all be all, etc. I had bought the import of SC2 along with a freeloader just.. well, because I had a few extra bucks and I wanted to. I played it for four or five hours and haven't touched it since. I had SC2 for like three or four months before it came out, and I kept posting about how it was nothing special, yet no one would believe me. The hype for it hit a brick wall a day or two after it was released.. and now look at it. Seven bucks at Sears and they still can't get rid of it.

For the record, though, Link was cool in it.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Scorch']

Now do you mean soul calibur 2 or the bonus characters? Remember kids collect them all! :lol:[/quote]

For the record, though, Link was cool in it.[/quote]

To bad I never played the GC version, but spawn wasn't bad either, the guy from tekken was just plain weak though.

Over-rated and over-hyped are way different.

Over-hyped, absolutely. Before the game came out people were praising it like the next coming of Jesus. Hell, Jesus couldn't live up to the hype Halo 2 had. It was just a ridiculous amount of hype.

As for over-rating .. well, the game is out and people don't seem incredibly happy with it. I hear a lot of complaining about it, so that alone proves it isn't over-rated. If it were over-rated, I think it would have a lot more people praising it.

I think there are some legitimate problems with the game, especially in multiplayer. I can hear the responses now -- "If you don't like multiplayer, you're just not good at it." Not true. There are certain "strategies" that can be taken that just make multiplayer frustrating altogether. I'm sure a lot of people will agree there.

Otherwise it's a great game. Overhyped, absolutely, but overrated .. not sure. From what I can tell, most of the people I know have other preferences to it (MGS3, HL2, .. ) so I can't say that Halo 2 is as overrated as a lot of people might think.

Even if people don't have XBOX Live there is still the multiplayer mode that you can play with friends. Halo 1 didn't have Live enabled gameplay but the multiplayer aspect brought many people back for more. To this day there are still major Halo tournaments hosted by many different companies. Also, on youre previous comment on Goldeneye allowing you to carry all your weapons at once, if Halo allowed you to carry every weapon at one time in your inventory, how balanced would that be? Oh, and thanks Ledhed, I defenitley plan on posting here a lot more.

Halo 1 saved the Xbox from the bargain bin. I liked campaign mode with co-op cause we would all rush in with pistols and snipe people.

Halo 2's campaign is really p*sspoor, but I really like the multiplayer. People only like it "cause it's Halo, dude"

Quote taken from a kid at my highschool

As for over-rating .. well, the game is out and people don't seem incredibly happy with it. I hear a lot of complaining about it, so that alone proves it isn't over-rated. If it were over-rated, I think it would have a lot more people praising it.

What? If it was overrated, people would complain. Overrated means it's great when it's really not., which fits it exactly.

Also, on youre previous comment on Goldeneye allowing you to carry all your weapons at once, if Halo allowed you to carry every weapon at one time in your inventory, how balanced would that be? Oh, and thanks Ledhed, I defenitley plan on posting here a lot more.

Touche'. Good point. Welcome to the board.

Halo 1 saved the Xbox from the bargain bin

I'm definately going to have to disagree with you. I think that if Halo had never existed, some other game would've caught on.

Well, Halo 2 was over-hyped a bit, but not over-rated! Halo 2 is a great game, especially on Heroic and Legendary difficulty settings...

Enter the the matrix was certainly overhyped, but i dont think anyone would call it overrated. I think Chronicles or Riddick was somewhat overrated. It was a good game, but I think the fact that it was a good "movie" game made it seem much more interesting than it really was. People were just so shocked.

[quote name='Scorch']

I'm definately going to have to disagree with you. I think that if Halo had never existed, some other game would've caught on.[/quote]

I gotta disagree with Scorch on this one. Without Halo, xbox would have been the new dreamcast and i'm not just saying it because thats what EGM wrote. I honestly can't see anything else catching on quite like Halo did (Brute Force, anyone? Mechassault was good, but...) and the other thing that Halo did was justify it as a real system instead of a Microsoft pipe dream. It made the deveopers realize that they should make games for it, because the system wouldnt be dead by the time their games came out.

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='greydemise'][quote name='TomCloud9']Halo is kinda average game, the campain sucks but the multiplayer owns.[/quote]

i thought it was alot of fun..but ur right, the campaign blew..i mean, i got lost like every mission cus everything looked the same!!...but when there was action..i had a blast!...multiplayer pwns as well..but i think the most overhyped game was ninja gaiden...i hated that game :(..graphics were awesome..but it was too damn hard![/quote]

Ok, hold up.

Everything looked the same? Do you have eyes?[/quote]

In Halo 1, the game I'll assume he's talking about, the architecture and level design sucked, in that every room was nearly identical and if you didn't know to follow the arrows on the floor, you'd get lost really easily.

Halo 2 cures cancer. Halo 2 gave your mom a breast exam. Halo 2 lowers bad cholesterol and enhances sexual performance. Halo 2 will bring peace in the Middle East and give Osama bin Laden genital warts.

Overhyped - yes, over-rated - no.

[quote name='jalu6']Enter the the matrix was certainly overhyped, but i dont think anyone would call it overrated. I think Chronicles or Riddick was somewhat overrated. It was a good game, but I think the fact that it was a good "movie" game made it seem much more interesting than it really was. People were just so shocked.

[quote name='Scorch']

I'm definately going to have to disagree with you. I think that if Halo had never existed, some other game would've caught on.[/quote]

I gotta disagree with Scorch on this one. Without Halo, xbox would have been the new dreamcast and i'm not just saying it because thats what EGM wrote. I honestly can't see anything else catching on quite like Halo did (Brute Force, anyone? Mechassault was good, but...) and the other thing that Halo did was justify it as a real system instead of a Microsoft pipe dream. It made the deveopers realize that they should make games for it, because the system wouldnt be dead by the time their games came out.[/quote]

Yes I agree. Without Halo, the Xbox would have been long gone and have been used as a cheap DVD player. Even though I never was a big Halo fan, I must be thankful to it because without Halom there would be no Panzer Dragoon Orta, Fable, or Ninja Gaiden (which are some of my favorite games this generation).

As with Halo 1, it's an average single-player FPS with amazingly fun multi-player (which XBL takes to another level).

Overrated? Some, especially if you look at single player and multiplayer as separate entities. Most overrated? Nah, it's still got a way to go before it reaches Final Fantasy status, if only because millions more people have played those games (meaning there are way more insufferable FF fanboys).

[quote name='Scorch']Halo 2 was mediocre at it's finest. [/quote]

Aren't you the same guy who claimed he hadn't played the single player since Nov. 9th, the day it came out?

I can see how you could come to the "its mediocre" conclusion after ONE DAY of playing it.

:roll:

I have to disagree with the whole, if it was overrated then people wouldnt say bad things about it bit. I took the topic as overrated as in magazines and such which still gave perfect scores. Of course a month later we are all going to have something bad to say(i hate how there are no bots offline because i dont want to play on live and i dont always have friends over) but when it first came out nearly every review confirmed it was true greatness

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Spawn Of Hell']Halo 2 is absolutely amazing, and deserves every bit of credit in my eyes. the guys at Bungie managed to blow me away again. I think Halo 2 is bad ass in every aspect, from campaign to multiplayer, and XBOX live. I'll admit the campaign is short, but could care less, as I could play through it again limitless times. I can't wait for a sequel, even though I know I'll have to.[/quote]

Gamefaqs called, they want thier #1 fanboy back.[/quote]

City hall called, they say there are zoning laws against the stick in your ass.

bread's done
Back