Is Heavy Rain worth playing if you know who the killer is?

MattJ1991

CAGiversary!
Unfortanutely I saw who the killer was when that douche bag on the forums was spoiling it. But I see it a lot for about 15 - 20 bucks and I really want to try it. But is it even worth my time when I already know who the killer is (and his motives...damn trolls)??

i dunno id have to say no if knowing the killer will ruin the story for you but yes if you want to enjoy the experience. the game is awesome its one of those you have to play it games the first few chapters are slow but once it picked up you wont want to stop till its done. my condolences on someone ruining the killer id for you.

Heavy rain is probably my favorite PS3 game...I loved that game so much. I traded it in last may, but im definitely re-buying it since it's so cheap now. Do yourself a favor and buy it dude...amazing experience.

I played it not knowing who the killer was and honestly didn't figure it out either. Having said that I would still say play the game. Obviously it won't be as good but it's still an amazing game with a lot of story that gets you to the end even if you know the end.

What ever happened with the DLC for this game? Before it came out they said there would be something like 3-4 packs of DLC but I haven't heard anything about it since then.

[quote name='tcatsninfan']What ever happened with the DLC for this game? Before it came out they said there would be something like 3-4 packs of DLC but I haven't heard anything about it since then.[/QUOTE]

they only did the one and stopped.

[quote name='tcatsninfan']What ever happened with the DLC for this game? Before it came out they said there would be something like 3-4 packs of DLC but I haven't heard anything about it since then.[/QUOTE]

They did one, were ordered to focus on making the game Move-compatible, and then after that I guess it was decided they weren't going to make any more DLC.

I would agree that it is worth playing, but at the same time I don't think the experience will be quite the same as if you were completely in the dark. There are certain scenes that can/will be taken in a completely different context knowing how it all ends. That said, the game is excellent and not to be missed especially at that price point. Also, I do want to point out that there are a number of endings, even knowing the killer's identity/motive may still lead to some surprises if you play through the game and doesn't necessarily mean all of the suspense or entertainment is gone.

Theres like 18 different endings.

That alone should be worth getting regardless of who spoiled what. Cuz chances are that dipshit only played it once.

I would say no, the story is the backbone of this game. If you know who the killer is, then it'll be like going through the motions doing QTE's until the eventual reveal which you know already.

I guess it is my fault for watching the special features on the disc before actually beating the game, but they give away who is the killer in them so that was awesome....

[quote name='madbst']I would say no, the story is the backbone of this game. If you know who the killer is, then it'll be like going through the motions doing QTE's until the eventual reveal which you know already.[/QUOTE]
Idk, I knew who the killer was (same thing that happened to the OP happened to me) and I didn't mind. There's enough twists and turns to the story that it stays interesting up till the end that your know about.

this is my favorite ps3 game and one of the few ones I actually plan on keeping! that says a lot considering I haven't found many games I like for ps3.

Hmm, so most of you guys are saying that although it won't be AS good, it'll still be a good experience. I think I'll pick it up. Thanks a lot for the speedy responses guys!

I do have one more question though. I own Move and I was wondering if I should play through with Move or just a normal Dualshock?

EDIT: I have a simple solution, I'll download and play both demo's and judge from that!

I saw if you can barrow it from a friend do that. It is a good game but for me once I knew who the killer was it was hard to get back into. That could also be because I was trying to get all endings and had beat the game already.

I finished the game and wont go back. The story is what drove me and most of that is trying to figure out whodunnit. The gameplay is alright, but more a means to an end. So I say no, dont bother playing if you know the killer.

[quote name='GTmaster39']Theres like 18 different endings.

That alone should be worth getting regardless of who spoiled what. Cuz chances are that dipshit only played it once.[/QUOTE]
The last game I played through multiple times in order to get all of the endings was the ORIGINAL Silent Hill twelve years ago.

Since then the only other game I've bothered with the multiple endings was GTA IV and I only did that by saving right before starting the final mission where you have to make your choice. Once the credits were done, I reloaded that save and chose the other path.

Oh and LMFAO @ your custom user title. I didn't realize what it was at first, but now that I do.:lol::applause:

I say yes. Even if you know it's him, it's still cool to see how
Ethan
goes about covering up all the killings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, definitely... Because you can go for the Perfect Crime trophy :) And it's satisfying if you figure it out without using a guide. I didn't :whistle2:( (hint, you got to cover your track in the early of the game, the first origami clue!)

Same thing happen to me as the OP. It's worth playing but the story is definitely ruined and you'll get to go wtf this doesn't make sense while playing instead of saying that afterwards.

[quote name='nbballard']
I say yes. Even if you know it's him, it's still cool to see how Ethan goes about covering up all the killings.
[/QUOTE]

Spoiler tag that or it'll have to be deleted, sorry.

So I just picked the game up and plan on having a play through this weekend. Thanks to everyone who responded and gave their opinion.

[quote name='MattJ1991']Hmm, so most of you guys are saying that although it won't be AS good, it'll still be a good experience. I think I'll pick it up. Thanks a lot for the speedy responses guys!

I do have one more question though. I own Move and I was wondering if I should play through with Move or just a normal Dualshock?

EDIT: I have a simple solution, I'll download and play both demo's and judge from that![/QUOTE]

IMHO, the Move controls just feel clunky and don't work properly half of the time. It was much easier to fudge something up with the Move, and I honestly had a much better time on my play through with just the plain old DualShock.

[quote name='MattJ1991']Spoiler tag that or it'll have to be deleted, sorry.[/QUOTE]
If you already had the ending spoiled, you'd know that I just made up that bit to confuse you.

I'd say no =/. Finding out who the killer is was a giant "OH SHIT!" moment for me, especially for people who liked the character (Like me)

[quote name='nbballard']
If you already had the ending spoiled, you'd know that I just made up that bit to confuse you.
[/QUOTE]

Well...it worked. Good job. ;)

Oh and update --> I started the game and wow, I'm into it. I feel really robbed that I know who the Origami Killer is, but I know I'll still enjoy the hell out of it.

[quote name='icedrake523']It's not worth playing even if you didn't know who the killer was. Easily the most overrated game of last year.[/QUOTE]

heh. it felt like a long drawn out episode of SVU. i loathed the motion controls (not the move controls) where you had to jerk/shake/tilt the controller.

[quote name='MattJ1991']Well...it worked. Good job. ;)

Oh and update --> I started the game and wow, I'm into it. I feel really robbed that I know who the Origami Killer is, but I know I'll still enjoy the hell out of it.[/QUOTE]

Don't you mean Origami Killer
s

[quote name='MattJ1991']Well...it worked. Good job. ;)

Oh and update --> I started the game and wow, I'm into it. I feel really robbed that I know who the Origami Killer is, but I know I'll still enjoy the hell out of it.[/QUOTE]

It can still be a fun and rewarding game since there you still hold the possibility of killing everyone in the game. I played it desperately trying to save everyone and another doing my best to F up everyone. Whats cool is all the outcomes to things. So its not like you play the game like most where you have no choice but to have a single outcome and your guarnteed to come out a winner. True the killer might always be the same but the journey to it can be varied.

I just wish they had built in the ability to change who the killer was into the game design. Like your choices could effect who the killer was. Because they could have written in reasons for other characters as well if they took the time. Then again doing that may have had the other killers reasons/background not been as cool as the real one.

I cant wait to see what quantic does next.

bread's done
Back