Is it illegal for a company to not have a voice message for you to call sick?

NamelessMC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I had some kind of anxiety/blood pressure overload tonight. I couldn't sleep for shit. I'm so sick of this happening. I think stress has to do with it.

Anyway, it's 6 am and I have work at 10:30. I can't make it in like this, my eyes are dry and my body will FINALLY let me sleep. Anyway, my work doesn't have a damn voice mail system for me to leave a message saying I can't make it in. It's pretty much, if you call later than 2 hours before your shift, you're a no-call no-show. But for some stupid reason, they have NO phone number to call to leave a message. So it's like, even if you're sick, you better wake up and call 2 hours before your shift so you won't get in trouble. If you have an opening shift, guess what? You can't call in sick at all or you get written up.

I'm so sick of this retail, "Work til you die, no questions asked" bullshit. They develop a system that punishes you for shit you can't avoid.

i don't think it is illegal, but it is pretty annoying. anyways, the only suggestion i can really make is call up there about an hour or so before the store opens and hope the manager picks up. based on my experience with retail work the store manager usually has to get there at least an hour early (store maintence, checking emails, etc) that they have to check on forces that on them. if you are sick it really can't be helped and assuming you don't do this often they will probably let it go.

Yeah, I should find another job. I mean, I like my bosses, but really the environment and the policies bother me. They offer me room for growth. They offered me a full time position in a department with no customer interaction to get a break from the sales grind, but really school should be my priority and I should work somewhere that supports that.

I mean, at school I'll only make 8.50 an hour through work study and only work 20-25 hours a week, but I'll get weekends off, I won't have to pitch sales and work in a stress environment, I'll still get financial aid, I'll get to study at work and I'll finally get some fuckin sleep.

At this job, I make 11 an hour 32 hours a week, and they work around school, but do you know how depressing it is to recycle the same bullshit to every person you talk to? Service plan this, geek squad installation that, hearing managers about numbers. I want a freaking weekend for once.

Yeah, this is what I dislike about America today. The big corporations have colluded to screw the American worker, institute unfair policies and drive down wages/benefits - then they tell you if you don't like it you can go down the street - to the next guy who will treat you worse.

Good luck man, I don't know illegal but it sure seems you could file a civil suit if they fired you.

But if you can take that work study job I'd do it, for me quality of life trumps getting paid the maximum I could make.

I think thats really whats wrong with America. You can't just have a problem and work past it, everything has to involve legal action. The OP knows the policy. It's not their responsibility to cater to him. Yes, retail sucks, but a lot of that has to whiny bitches you have to deal with all day.

[quote name='camoor']Yeah, this is what I dislike about America today. The big corporations have colluded to screw the American worker, institute unfair policies and drive down wages/benefits - then they tell you if you don't like it you can go down the street - to the next guy who will treat you worse.

Good luck man, I don't know illegal but it sure seems you could file a civil suit if they fired you.

But if you can take that work study job I'd do it, for me quality of life trumps getting paid the maximum I could make.[/quote]

[quote name='NamelessMC']I had some kind of anxiety/blood pressure overload tonight. I couldn't sleep for shit. I'm so sick of this happening. I think stress has to do with it.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you need a hospital more than you need to call your workplace. If it didn't require medical attention, I guess you'll have to stop partying on a weeknight and remember you have to work in the mornings.

I know that if I were your employer, I wouldn't want someone on my sales floor who could drop dead of cardiac arrest in the middle of the business day.

[quote name='Kayden']The OP knows the policy. It's not their responsibility to cater to him. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, even considering a lawsuit in a situation like this is fucking absurd. It might suck, but if they didn't have these rules in place, the company would be getting dicked left and right. You realize they need to find someone to fill in for the person calling in, right? Preferably before the shift starts so they don't end up short handed.

A lot of companies require you to speak to someone in charge if you're not gonna show. The policy is not a surprise, so either you follow their rules or start filling out applications.

Know your manager's phone number? Most people that have a job do so they can call them if something comes up. Maybe you should think about that for any future problems.

Where I use to work. I use to do tech work at a high school. They trusted me for a long time. There came a day where there was a situation where I came in on time but my walky died and I do not have a cell phone (the place where I live and work is in a hilly area and the reception is so bad no matter who the provider it wasnt worth having). Anyways they tryed to call me since they needed something first thing that morning and they couldnt contact me and where I was at the intercom doesnt work so when they paged me I didnt hear it. They got pissed off and after that made me call when I got to campuss. I hated having to call in since often times no one would pick up and it made me look bad.

bread's done
Back