Is it just me, or is Mc Donalds (other chains?) just getting nastier as time goes on?

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
Look - right off of the bat -I'm not saying I expect super quality from McDonalds or anything. I hardly eat there -- maybe once a month? So, due to the infrequency of my experiences I thought I'd ask you guys if you've noticed any decline in the (previously questionable) quality of their food? Or perhaps it's just in my neighborhood. Or maybe I'm just viewing past experiences with rose-tinted glasses.

The last two times I've ordered the double-cheeseburger I have immediately regretted it. The meat is just so... bad tasting... and a disgusting soft consistency. I'm not expecting black-angus beef in a Mac-Do burger but seriously, even Burger King's patty still tastes similar/edible to how I remember it.

Do you think they are cutting more corners (adding fillers or water to the beef)? Or have they always been this grim? Maybe I was just young and was more hyped on the toys than the food back in the day.

Have you noticed or had your suspicions about any other fast food chains that have been cutting corners? It's good to know, when you only have three dollars to spend and you're starving.

SLIGHT EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: Fast food is likely going to have more appeal taste-better to you when you are a kid. The point in question, for me, is whether the food is actually becoming worse in quality. Totally minor examples, and I'm sure you can come up with bigger ones, but many years ago, when you would order the hotcakes you got little pats of whipped butter. Now, it's whipped margarine. At KFC, now you get honey "sauce" which is corn syrup, sugar and a little honey thrown in. Milkshakes at BK are definitely cheaper and worse in quality. I knew this before I even took a sip because my milkshake weighed almost all nothing. It was a whipped froth... all fillers and crap. They probably just call them "shakes," now, legally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't even eat McDonalds anymore. Everything about their burgers is downright gross. they look disgusting, they taste disgusting, and they're small. I'd go just about anywhere else before a McDonalds.

The only time I eat at McDonalds is if I know I have at least the next two days off.. which is almost never. I haven't had fast food in a while.. unless you want to count toasted sub places as fast food.

[quote name='javeryh']The older you get the worse fast food tastes.[/quote]

This. I was practically raised on McD's as a kid and wouldn't be satisfied unless I ate there a few times a week. Nowadays I avoid the place lik the plague and only eat there twice a year at the most, and that's only if I have absolutely no other option.

To their credit, however, I do love their hotcakes.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']

Have you noticed or had your suspicions about any other fast food chains that have been cutting corners? [/quote]

For as long as I could remember, a burrito from Chipotle was always thisclose to overwhelming the tortilla and exploding from the fillings.

Last time I got a Chipotle burrito, I tasted more tortilla than filling.

Same thing happened at Taco Bell when I ordered the basic Bean Burrito: more tortilla than beans.

The only fast food I seem to eat anymore is Wendy's (which has gone downhill, but not nearly as much as the other places) and Qdoba, but at least QDoba's stuff is fairly fresh... but it'll cost you.

In my expierence the quality of fast food, or lack thereof, is heavily dependant on location.

The once a month or so I go to McDonalds, the double quarter pounder I always get tastes the same as it always has.

The one thing I have noticed about McDonalds locations in my area is that they are really trying to dress them up, trying to make them look more upscale.....actually cleaning the place more than once a week.

I don't think you realize how bad the food actually tastes when you're a kid and you're automatically addicted to the grease and cheese.

[quote name='Irukandji']The arches have fallen. I remember when mcdonalds food actually tasted like food.[/quote]

Hey now, McNuggets NEVER tasted like food

:nottalking:

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Look - right off of the bat -I'm not saying I expect super quality from McDonalds or anything. I hardly eat there -- maybe once a month? So, due to the infrequency of my experiences I thought I'd ask you guys if you've noticed any decline in the (previously questionable) quality of their food? Or perhaps it's just in my neighborhood. Or maybe I'm just viewing past experiences with rose-tinted glasses.

The last two times I've ordered the double-cheeseburger I have immediately regretted it. The meat is just so... bad tasting... and a disgusting soft consistency. I'm not expecting black-angus beef in a Mac-Do burger but seriously, even Burger King's patty still tastes similar/edible to how I remember it.
[/quote]

The quarter-pounder is a good burger. The meat is of a better quality.

[quote name='lordwow']The only fast food I seem to eat anymore is Wendy's (which has gone downhill, but not nearly as much as the other places) and Qdoba, but at least QDoba's stuff is fairly fresh... but it'll cost you.[/QUOTE]

You know I think they got sold to MC D's a few years back.. I just ate there a few weekends ago and was disapoointed. They used to be good. Not anymore. Its not very good meat.

once u start eating at places recommended on chowhound and yelp and stuff,

chain restaurants and fast food become... insignificant.

my heart is currently broken... becoz my workplace unanimously voted to have Olive Garden cater our holiday party...

and Olive Garden is some of the most average and unexciting food I've ever eaten in my life

I'm starting to not eat fast food anymore. First I stopped buying soda in my teen years, only drinking it at parties, and then decreased my eating of junk food by 90%, and stopped going to fast food restaurants weekly... Partly it must be because I'm a cheapskate, considering I'm kinda fat for someone who doesn't each the garbage...

I just came in here to say that "nuggnuts" is the stupidest word ever created and that whoever coined it needs to be shot in the testicles with bees from a dog's howling maw.

Good god those commercials are all fucking annoying.

As for the topic itself, yes - I think all places are getting worse. The economy is fucking everything up. Last time I went to Quiznos, I couldn't believe just how little was in the sandwich for the price I paid.

About the only place that hasn't changed is Chik-Fil-A, and even then I'm not sure.

Fast food is fast food. It's something you grab because you need to eat something and you aren't able to make something yourself at the time, either due to location or laziness.

Restaurants in general have been declining, to me. There are a few local places that I still really enjoy, but anything that's a chain is getting worse. And location is important. A local Burger King is absolutely terrible, while another one is quite good. Apathetic 16 year olds don't give a fuck about food or service, apparently.

I'm going to make burgers in a second actually, and they will smoke anything a fast food place offers. I avoid fast food unless friends drag me to a place, or we are out and about and hungry. And even then, we usually just hit up local restaurants, which aren't really fast food.

I find McDonald's to be the worst of the fast food. The burgers aren't that great. I prefer Burger King and Wendy's but try to have it no more than once a week.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Restaurants in general have been declining, to me. There are a few local places that I still really enjoy, but anything that's a chain is getting worse. And location is important. A local Burger King is absolutely terrible, while another one is quite good. Apathetic 16 year olds don't give a fuck about food or service, apparently.
[/quote]

The Burger King original chicken sandwiches are awesome, but that's all I like from them besides their Hershey pies.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The Burger King original chicken sandwiches are awesome, but that's all I like from them besides their Hershey pies.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I love their Hershey pies. Classic chicken sandwich has stayed consistently good too, though I haven't had one in months.

Just had a $1 double last night and loved that shit. It looks terrible and was greasy as fuck, but I could eat them forever.

McDonald's food is actually much higher quality now than it was 5 years ago. I mean, it's still fast food, but at least now it's fast food and not fast...whatever the hell you'd call that stuff.

The Burger King hear is nasty, as are the people working there. I swear the last time i was there the woman working the counter looked like she hadn't showered in a week.

McDonald's are privately owned, so it's more than likely you got the brown end of the thermometer that time...and probably more often than you'd like.

I bit of buisness travels has taken me to quite a few locations and I find myself eating at hours when most resturants are closed.

I will endorse a particular McDonald's in Austin, TX...somewhere between there and San Antonio. The cheeseburger was as if I had just had my first McDonald's cheeseburger when I was however old I was as a child. The thing had mustard on it and the pickle even tasted fresh. Mustard...remember mustard? They don't put mustard in NYC anymore.

I thought maybe I was just starving, nope...the 2nd one was just as good as the first.

One of the benefits of fast food is...you don't have to tip the cashier or the person that deliveres your food. (my BK brings your food to your table after you order it during dinner hours)

fast food is for emergency, rest stops, and kids.

[quote name='manthing']For as long as I could remember, a burrito from Chipotle was always thisclose to overwhelming the tortilla and exploding from the fillings.

Last time I got a Chipotle burrito, I tasted more tortilla than filling.[/quote]

I think that's very YMMV. The Chipotle near me has actually been filling the burritos up with more stuff recently, and they top off the guacamole instead of giving you a half-empty container.

I think it depends largely on management, I've also noticed that if you go in off-peak hours you're more likely to get hooked up by the burrito lady.

I think its how certain locations do it. Some will put too much oil, others will put a little.

I know certain MCD's that do this, and I avoid them.

In the end I get the shits and of course a headache.

When you're buying something off the value menu, of course it's going to be shit. That being said, a lot of places are making cuts, changing little things people may not notice, charging the same for smaller sizes and portions, companies have been doing this for years. It's like those creame easter eggs, where a couple of years ago they made them smaller and it took Conan O'Brien calling them out on it.

Regarding the tidiness of their restaurants, I have not been in a McDonalds since, oh, 2001, and even then the restaurants were pretty nasty. Grime and questionable brown debris all over the place.

[quote name='Thongsy']It's like those creame easter eggs, where a couple of years ago they made them smaller and it took Conan O'Brien calling them out on it.[/quote]

It's interesting though - even as a kid I thought those used to be too big. My teeth hurt from all the sugar before I got halfway through - and just one could totally ruin my appetite. I'd rather see them get smaller then go up in price.

[quote name='SpazX']Just had a $1 double last night and loved that shit. It looks terrible and was greasy as fuck, but I could eat them forever.[/quote]

This.

If I want gourmet food, I don't go to McD's. If I want cheap, greasy food, I go to McD's.

When I use to live in NY...I use to LOVE White Castle burgers... I didn't try them again for over 15 years, now they give me the shits.

[quote name='ITDEFX']When I use to live in NY...I use to LOVE White Castle burgers... I didn't try them again for over 15 years, now they give me the shits.[/quote]

White Castle is awesome.

Too bad they aren't any here in Texas. The only time I get to have it is when I visit relatives up north.

There is a McDumpsters one mile from my house. I go there maybe 5 times a year since I rarely eat fast food. The other night coming home late from work I was starving and not in the mood to make anything. So I swing in the McDumpsters drive thru. Couple cars waiting to get their food, but no line to order.

Retard- "May I take your order?"

Me- "I'll have a number 5 please"

Retard- "You want a pie?"

Me- "Number five with a coke"

Retard- "You want a cherry pie?"

Me- "Number 5, the chicken sandwich meal with coke"

Retard- "two for a dollar!"

Me- "Sure"

The total appeared on the screen. For a second I thought about going in to order then drove off. Just couldn't eat food prepared by people who cannot handle order by number.

It's like Taco Bell, do you really think that's grade A meat in those taco's?

It has been proven that the cheaper stuff tends to have the worse taste and the highest amount of fat.

It's not just you OP, fast food is horrid. Everything tastes like shit flavored cardboard to me. I never eat fast food unless I'm traveling and have literally no other options.

If you live in the Pacific Northwest I recommend Burgerville...good stuff. I like Wendy's and thats about it most other fast food makes me shit like crazy especially McDonalds and Taco Hell.

no its happening. price goes up as quality goes down but it doesnt matter since most things people will continue to eat because theyre programmed to.the one place ive gone to that was always consistently good would be papa johns or blimpies.

I ordered from McDonalds last night and the workers were making fart noises into the intercom while I was ordering.

On the flip side, I ate at an Arby's a couple weeks before that was like a dream. The workers were fast, the food was fresh, one of the workers went around offering mints and asking how the food was. Then, as I left, they asked me if I wanted a refill on my drink. They actually asked me.

bread's done
Back