Is it safe to buy an Xbox 360?

SteveDaWonder

CAGiversary!
My girlfriend and I plan on buying a Xbox 360 after the price drops. However, we're worried that ours will fail like everyone else's has. I really, really want to get one but I don't want to have problems.

Does anyone know when the new ones are coming out wi th the chips that work?

for the millionth time. Nobody know when a new 360 with a new chip will come out. The failure rate on 360's really isn't that bad, you just here alot about it online because everyone complains if theirs breaks. Just go buy one, enjoy it and don't worry about it breaking. Also follow the precautions such as putting it in a well ventilated area, keeping it horizontal, and not moving it while it is on.

They just extended the warranty to 3 years, so it is safe in that sense.

Is it safe in the sense that you'll probably never have to send it in? Definitely not. MS admitted they all have the flaw that MAY lead to the red ring of death problem, so you have to factor in that it will likely break at some point, but it will be repaired for free if it does.

Another issue is that it looks like a price drop is coming very soon, so I'd wait until after that to pick one up.

As for the new chips, there's no info on when they are coming, or if there will be a way to tell whether a system your buying has the new chips (i.e. whether it will be in a differnet box, or just snuck in covertly). Also no guarantee that it will fix the problems, though it seems likely that they would.

[quote name='SoulReaver']Wait, so its better to keep it horizontal than vertical?[/quote]

Thats what Ive read. Less chance of scratching disks.

Yea um...I had mine vertical for a year and not a single disk got scratched. Why would they advertise an unsafe position?

Anyway, you might as well buy one, no one knows when the newer 360's will be coming out. Chances are (estimated at 30+%) your 360 will get the red rings, but you do have a 3 year warranty.

Be aware that anything you buy under your gamertag will be tied to both the tag and the system. So, if you ever get a new system from MS, you cannot access that content unless you are signed on Live.

[quote name='1_Chocobo']i heard that the elites have less of a chance to break. be this true?[/QUOTE]

They've not been out long enough to have a reasonable estimate of whether the fail as much or not.

When you buy one just call M$ and add the two year $50 warranty, or buy an instore extended warranty everyone is offering them now, and it'll get you a no questions asked exchange.

That new 3 warranty is only if you get a red ring of death. IIRC walmart offers a 3 years extended warranty for $40.

Wait until the end of september, I read on the xbox forums that that's when the new July batch of xboxs will be sold. Which are rumored to have the falcon motherboard with the extra heatsink and 64nm chip. Better safe than sorry, when you buy it, make sure that it has a July manufacture date.

If you can afford to wait, you might as well. The 65-nm chipset will be coming very soon and there's the price drop and Halo 3 Special console coming, too.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about system failure at this point for the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread...

[quote name='seanr1221']Why would they advertise an unsafe position?[/quote]

Well how long did they advertise the 360 as a perfectly-working piece of equipment before finally admitting the failure-rate was unnacceptable and extending the warranty?

Regardless - OP, the warranty extension should help provide some peace of mind, however I think that after you get it replaced once, your replacement unit only carries a 3 month warranty from when you receive it. So if you have to replace your original box at month 2, assuming you get your replacement quickly, you'd only be ending up with a 5 month warranty.

Yeah, I'm in the same situation as the original poster that I'm rather hesitant to buy a Xbox 360 with all the hype of not having a reliable system. I really don't want to send in something that I bought new to be repaired after a few weeks!

That is why I'm jumping on buying an old Xbox since it seems to be living longer and that most of the games I am more interested in.

Just buy a core system following the price drop and get a store warranty that will allow you to get a replacement system. Buy the hard drive separately and then if you get a system failure you switch out the hardware at the retail store, but not your gamesaves and downloads. You avoid the whole hassle of having to wait on Microsoft customer service.

[quote name='slickkill77']OMG stop.............with the threads.....Launch Console. Manu date 11-30-05 and has never died[/quote]

Same here. Also, the 4 I bought and sold at profit have also had no problems.

[quote name='slickkill77']OMG stop.............with the threads.....Launch Console. Manu date 11-30-05 and has never died[/quote]Yea, but the newer ones should be a bit more reliable.

bread's done
Back