Is it worth waiting for a 60 gb??

Cmoore58

CAGiversary!
I was able to obtain a 20 gig PS3, I'm unsure if I should be happy or keep searching. Would you guys wait?

Exactly, if you don't care about the WiFi and built-in flash card readers, the 20GB can have the hard drive swapped out easily. You can get a lot bigger drive than 60GB for the extra $100 it would cost you for the higher model.

You can also use a USB External Drive so you can get alot of storage for the 100.00 you saved. I think it all comes down to do you need WiFi

I'd wait for the 60. It's not that the 20GB is a rip-off (like Xbox 360 Core), but if your paying over $500 for any console, why not spend $100 more and get the best? The 60GB offers Wi-Fi with the PSP right out of the box, and it looks aesthetically more pleasing than a 20GB with all those attachments (USB Wi-Fi adaptor, USB memory card slots) sticking out of it.

[quote name='Kendro']I'd wait for the 60. It's not that the 20GB is a rip-off (like Xbox 360 Core), but if your paying over $500 for any console, why not spend $100 more and get the best?[/QUOTE]

And that's the rationale behind the PS3 being $599 instead of $499.

Really depends on if you want those memory stick slots and wifi. I heard the WiFi is a pain in the ass to set up at the moment. 60GB could still be too small of an HD if Sony really pushes for DL games and updates. I'm taking a wait and see approach when I finally decide to take the plunge.

Is replacing the HDD "officially" endorsed? I see all these websites that show how to do it, but I'm not sure if its classified as "modding." I'm pretty sure the 360 and PS3 skimp out on HDD by using 5400 RPM and was wondering if we can upgrade to a 7200 RPM.

I'd wait for the 60. It's not that the 20GB is a rip-off (like Xbox 360 Core), but if your paying over $500 for any console, why not spend $100 more and get the best? The 60GB offers Wi-Fi with the PSP right out of the box, and it looks aesthetically more pleasing than a 20GB with all those attachments (USB Wi-Fi adaptor, USB memory card slots) sticking out of it.
I, personally, strongly dislike the chrome strip on the 60GB version.

[quote name='Kendro']Is replacing the HDD "officially" endorsed? I see all these websites that show how to do it, but I'm not sure if its classified as "modding." I'm pretty sure the 360 and PS3 skimp out on HDD by using 5400 RPM and was wondering if we can upgrade to a 7200 RPM.[/QUOTE]\

From what I've read other places, there are instructions in the PS3 manual about how to do it.

[quote name='Cmoore58']so where is a good place to get a cheap HDD preferabbly 60 or above?????[/QUOTE]

My question exactly. A friend of mine just headed out to grab one of the 20gb models GS got in, so I'm trying to help him find a upgrade drive. I've heard some reports of people getting drives that were slightly too big to fit - is there a list anywhere of confirmed drives that work?

I got a 20GB at launch, sold it for ~$800 in hopes of finding a 60GB and now I'm regretting it...I've been going to stores almost every day and I have yet to find one. My local Best Buy has been getting them in every couple of days, but they get them in the morning, afternoon, night, whenever the truck comes in - it's basically being at the right place at the right time...and I'm there everyday at the wrong time. I usually miss it by an hour or two each time and the frustration is getting to me...my advice would be to first see if you can get your hands on a 60GB then unload the 20GB. I'm to the point where I'm actually considering buying one on eBay.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I got the 20gb

I love it. Its fine!

Just need to find a way to transfer saves to another harddrive![/QUOTE]

I can answer this one - USB key. Saves easily copy to & from a usb key, or memory stick.

[quote name='secretvampire']I, personally, strongly dislike the chrome strip on the 60GB version.[/quote]

I thought perhaps I was the only one.

I will likely eventually end up with the 60GB for personal use, as I'm big into the wifi PSP connection, although eventually I might try and either respray the case or get a 20GB case and hack it up a bit.

The chrome is fuuuuuuugly.

[quote name='Cmoore58']I was able to obtain a 20 gig PS3, I'm unsure if I should be happy or keep searching. Would you guys wait?[/QUOTE]

Keep and start playing the 20 gig.
I have no use for wifi or mem card readers (just use a usb thumbdrive)
The bigger HDD is also no use for me right now. maybe in a year or 2 i might need more HDD room. but not now.

There is only 1 reason to buy a 60gig PS3, and only one: The ability to link to a PSP and do....whatever the hell they're promising you can do with one.

I dont think that, even if you add a wireless bridge to a 20 gig you'll be able to do that, but I can't say for sure..can anyone confirm?

Otherwise the 60gig PS3 is a bit of a joke.

Its uglier

Its got $40 dollars worth of Wi-Fi parts built in (with an external wireless bridge, you can move that bridge to another device..a 360..an xbox..a ps2....a pC...whatever you want).

Its got flash card readers built in. OooOOOoOOooh. Buy one for $9 bucks on NewEgg and plug it into the USB ports

Its got 40 extra gigs of space.....but you can buy a 60gig HD now for less than $50 bucks online so.....

Sony basically added about $60 worth of parts, and charges you an extra $100 bucks for the pleasure.

[quote name='WanganRunner']I thought perhaps I was the only one.

I will likely eventually end up with the 60GB for personal use, as I'm big into the wifi PSP connection, although eventually I might try and either respray the case or get a 20GB case and hack it up a bit.

The chrome is fuuuuuuugly.[/quote]

Agree, the chrome is out of place and looks like that cheap painted part when compared to the gloss black of the rest of the system. They should have just kept it all black.

[quote name='MadFlava']Agree, the chrome is out of place and looks like that cheap painted part when compared to the gloss black of the rest of the system. They should have just kept it all black.[/quote]
You guys are making me feel good for keeping the 20gb.

Thanks guys. :applause:

I can answer this one - USB key. Saves easily copy to & from a usb key, or memory stick.

Realllly? I've been needing to get one of these. Got to find one for cheap... missed my Black Friday chance.

I'd keep searching. I also got stuck with a 20GB, but my plan is to return it either as soon as I find a 60GB, or before 12/17. I don't mind having to go a month or two without my PS3. It's all about the chrome. :[ If both models were visually identical, I would stick with the 20.

[quote name='lmz00']I'd keep searching. I also got stuck with a 20GB, but my plan is to return it either as soon as I find a 60GB, or before 12/17. I don't mind having to go a month or two without my PS3. It's all about the chrome. :[ If both models were visually identical, I would stick with the 20.[/quote]
Same here.

Im going to return my PS3 when the White 60gb PS3 comes out. Yep yep.

All I could get was a 20GB, but I really don't think it's that big of a difference. The chrome does nothing for me and I have very little need for the card reader (I can always use a USB one in the rare case that I should need to use flash memory with the PS3). The only sticking point is wi-fi, and that's only because of the PSP connectivity. But since Sony is promising to allow you to connect to your PS3 over the internet at some point, I would think you could have your 20GB model hooked up to your network via a wire and access it even in your house using your wireless network. In any case, I think the PSP functionality is a little gimmicky, since there's no way I'm going to be putting a lot of photos or videos on the PS3 -- I have a Mac for that.

I'm glad that Sony gave up the idea of having the low-end model not support HDMI and only use wired controllers. That would have sucked. As it is now, the differences between the models are very slight and should really only affect you if you buy into Sony's idea of the PS3 being more of a multimedia computer than a game console.

Not that it matters or is even worth it, but does the 20GB come with Talladega Nights?

I would say 60GB all the way, the bigger hard drive really spoils me (compared to my 360 which I constantly have to delete stuff). It's true, you can buy external stuff to match the 60, or even save money and not buy that stuff, but it's REALLY nice having everything all in one box.

I have an external wireless bridge that I switch between my 360 and ps2 and after a while it just becomes tiresome and irritating. I realize I can use my ps3 to play my ps2 games but I rather not overuse the bluray drive when I have something else that is still perfectly working.

Once the Playstation Store starts getting lots of content like Xbox Marketplace, I think everybody will be upgrading hard drives.

[quote name='shaunLEGEND']Not that it matters or is even worth it, but does the 20GB come with Talladega Nights?[/quote]
Yes.

I'd choose the 60GB over the 20GB if I had free choice, but given how hard it is to find even the 20GB model, I'm just saying that you're really not losing out on that much by buying one if you have the chance. The Amazon PS3 forums seem to be filled with people who turn down 20GB models searching for the elusive 60GB, but I question whether it's really worth all that effort.

[quote name='shaunLEGEND']It's true, you can buy external stuff to match the 60, or even save money and not buy that stuff, but it's REALLY nice having everything all in one box.[/quote] You can upgrade the HDD with an internal hard drive. It doesn't have to be external. There is a slot on the side of the PS3 where you just pull out the hard drive and drop in a new one.

Personally, I would prefer the 20GB. Take the $100 you save and buy a larger hard drive to drop in. And I agree with the other posters above, the chrome looks really generic. I was analyzing it at a PS3 kiosk at Target. Just looks cheap to me.

[quote name='fuzz']Am I the only person here with a 120gig PS3? (formally 20)[/QUOTE]
was that a legitimate question or a simple e-penis flex?

Can downloaded demos be moved onto a flash stick when I eventually upgrade the HDD?

Also, can anyone recommend a good wireless bridge for my lovely 20GB?

bread's done
Back