Is it wrong to sell digital content codes on ebay?

trunks982

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
selling any type of codes on ebay is wrong? they say i have to send the card itself not sending the code.

EDIT: i see a lot of auctions on there that are selling codes.

I do not believe it is wrong, it is about supply and demand. If people are willing to pay for an unused code (demand) and you have a legitimate code (supply) which you can make a few extra dollars, why not. The bad thing with selling codes on ebay is if your buyer states the code does not work or they already had that dlc. It becomes a nightmare since ebay does not protect buyers on virtual items. I even had the hardcopy to mail to the user but ebay stated it was still not protected since it was a virtual item. Please note, I only email the codes unless the buyer wants to pay postage. My success rate emailing dlc on ebay has been 99%.

You're not allowed to sell digital content codes that you send through e-mail using a standard auction or fixed price format. You have to use the classified ad format. There are similar auctions on eBay right now because people are ignoring the rule or just unaware of it. You should be able to use the auction or fixed price format if you send the card itself through the mail.

Hi all,
I just ran into this myself. Trying to sell a DLC voucher that came with a game. I have done this a dozen times or so over the past year or so without problem. Never knew there was any restriction on it. But this time my sale was removed because digital items can't be sold or something like that, they said I have to use the classified ad format. Meanwhile two other sellers are currently offering the EXACT SAME DLC card that I'm trying to sell.

So I've changed the text to say I'll mail the voucher rather than email the code and I'll see if that works. If it doesn't I guess I'll try the classified ad format. The policy makes no sense though. If I can sell a gift card to iTunes or whatever I should be able to sell this DLC card.

bread's done
Back