Is Mario Kart Wii worth getting new?

punkmaggit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
240 (100%)
So I have a couple of friends coming over Wed. and I was wondering if I should get Mario Kart Wii new ($50 + tax) or find a used copy for $39.99 - 30% (edge + coupon). Is the wheel that critical to the game, or is it just as good with the gamecube controller?

The wheel adds a bit to the gameplay, but it gets dull/annoying really fast and you'll end up switching to the Gamecube controller. The GC controller is wayyy better when it comes to handling.

If you can find a used copy for what looks like 30% off 39.99 I would do that and just buy the wheel separate (sells for about $10)... I love the wheel.. and don't buy the generic ones... my son likes the classic controller....

I always prefer a regular controller, but I must admit the wheel is pretty fun with this game. When I'm playing to unlock things and set records, it's regular controller. When I'm having fun with other people over or online, it's the wheel.

Buy it used and then get a wheel for $10 on Amazon. Honestly I think the wheel is better than any other controller option, and this is coming from a Mario Kart devotee since SNES.

they do sell the wheels used. $8, if you combine with a B2G1F with edge, averages out to about $5 each, which is half off what you'd end up paying. Some places charge $10 for new wheels, some $15. The Nintendo wheel is the best option wheel-wise, has a hole for the strap to get pulled through, and a passthrough for the wiimote to still aim while in the wheel. I bought this used, actually ended up with 3 used using B2G1F and exchanging at other stores, one to keep, one for friend's b-day, and one that was gonna get traded back, but now will get bundled with a wii for sale. the only thing I regret about buying used is I don't get the big outer box, which I would've like for collector's sake. no reason to buy new compared to used unless you're a stickler for new stuff and want the big outer box.

I think this comes down to what you want out of the game. If you are at all serious about getting the best possible lap times, competing online, etc., you're going to want to use a real controller. If you're looking to get some friends together and just have a good time, definitely go for the big dorky fake steering wheel. :)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think this comes down to what you want out of the game. If you are at all serious about getting the best possible lap times, competing online, etc., you're going to want to use a real controller. If you're looking to get some friends together and just have a good time, definitely go for the big dorky fake steering wheel. :)[/quote]

Exactly, and yes it is worth it at full price but why pay that if you can find a used copy at GS and save some cash.

[quote name='lukewin']the only thing I regret about buying used is I don't get the big outer box, which I would've like for collector's sake.[/quote]

:whistle2:k Now I actually might get it new ... for collector's sake. ARGH!

i don't think it's worth it for full price. The wheel is inaccurate and annoying I usually end up using the classic controller much better handling imo.

bread's done
Back