Is MarioParty DS Wi-Fi?

[quote name='kirbykan']nope :[

but it is 4-player single cart download play compatable.[/quote]

That's really hard to believe and unfortunate. There's no excuse for a 1st party title, which is practically based on multiplayer, to have no online support.

That's like making Metroid Hunters with no wifi - wtf?

I agree. I don't see where online play would be all that fun. MP is most fun with people right in the same room/place as you. I think it's fantastic that they have managed to provide full download play. I.e. it's not some limited set of mini games, it's the entire game that can be played with download play, and from the previews I've read, apparently it works quite well without major delays. Nice. This bodes well for future multiplayer download play games. It's about time we saw some full-game coop download play in, for example, a Kirby game! Please!

[quote name='grendel19']Not a single review on metacritic.com and it's already out in stores. A bad sign?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. I wanna go out and pick it up today because my family loves mario party games, but the total absence of reviews is a bit puzzling.

As for the wi-fi though, I think it would be great if Nintendo actually added wi-fi to this series, both on DS and the Wii. Hopefully with Mario Party 9 they'll finally add it as they seem to be doing a lot with Smash Bros. Melee.

[quote name='grendel19']Not a single review on metacritic.com and it's already out in stores. A bad sign?[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. I have it sitting here (picked up my GC preorder this evening) but I'm not going to open it until I see some sort of reviews (at least in the 7+ range to keep). I guess anything is possible, but if Nintendo allowed this to be screwed up then shame on them. The single-cart multiplayer is great as I'm about to have 3 DS's (after I get the Zelda one) and can play this with my kids if so. Mario Party on the DS seems like such a no-brainer idea and could be a lot of fun if done with a modicum of effort... they better not have hosed it up.

Personally I don't care about the online too much as long as the local multiplayer is solid.

Even though I'm a bit concerned that the launch day has come and gone with no reviews, I still have some hope because of Gamespot's glowing preview only a few days ago. Hopefully they'll update with something new.

I really can't imagine that they've messed this up. They'd be fools to completely blow it. I could see it end up being "more of the same", but I can't see them completely screwing it up. More of the same would be fine with me - more of the same while on a car trip with the kids is a good thing! Of course I'd love to see more DS integration, with touchscreen minigames and such (though I'll pass on stuff that uses the microphone, which also might be a problem when on a car trip - not sure how much car noise would affect such play.)

The final paragraph from that GameSpot review:

Mario Party DS is an outright blast when played with other people, and since you need only one cartridge to enjoy everything, the odds are good that you'll be able to entice your DS-owning friends to play with you. As a solo endeavor, challenging the computer opponents does get old eventually. However, between all of the different minigames, play modes, and puzzle games, it'll be a while before you condemn the cartridge to your storage shelf.

Overall it erases any worries I had about the game. It sounds like standard Mario Party stuff and the extra puzzle games are a nice bonus.

However, what is the deal with local multiplayer? The Ships on their podcast claim you need multiple copies of the cart for full board game play and the single-cart is for some mini-game only mode. But this Gamespot review says "and since you need only one cartridge to enjoy everything" which sounds like only one cart is needed for the full game board play as well. What's up?

[quote name='io']The final paragraph from that GameSpot review:

Overall it erases any worries I had about the game. It sounds like standard Mario Party stuff and the extra puzzle games are a nice bonus.

However, what is the deal with local multiplayer? The Ships on their podcast claim you need multiple copies of the cart for full board game play and the single-cart is for some mini-game only mode. But this Gamespot review says "and since you need only one cartridge to enjoy everything" which sounds like only one cart is needed for the full game board play as well. What's up?[/QUOTE]

I picked it up today from CC with the $10 gift card deal (great deal IMO) and I played a quick game with my fiancee and I can confirm--it feels just like classic MP fun. You only need a single cartridge for four players to play a FULL game so four people can join in the fun for the price of a single game. It's awesome so far.

i played the first board today with another person. So far it is great and you only need one cart to play the main game. They can easily call this mario party 9. So far i only encounter 1 min game that use stylus but hopefully there are more.

Well, any negative press for this game didn't stop it from selling. I can't find it anywhere, it's sold out online, ebay copies are going for $37+shipping.

bread's done
Back