Is Metroid Prime Trilogy worth the Gamestop asking price of $64.99 used ?

walls99

CAGiversary!
I have never played a Metroid game and want to get into the series. I have a Wii.

I found Metroid Prime 3 Corruption for $4.99 and and Metroid Other M for $3.99 at my local gamestop. I see that Metroid Prime Trilogy is listed at $64.99 on gamestop's site used, but not available. Is the trilogy worth that price ?

Thanks in advance.

Get the Trilogy if you can. It has all 3 games, and it is a truly remarkable game. The Wii controls make the games better than they were originally, and they were originally pretty damn amazing. Probably the best console FPS games ever, and some of the best Nintendo games ever.

(Plus it sells on the secondary market for more than that)

Hell no.

The original Prime is one of my favorite games of all time and I still prefer the non-waggle controls. Then again, that might be because I hate waggle controls with regards to aiming (due to the unexpected lag/stuttering)and exploring, and also since you need to keep it on screen at all times.

Just pick up the GC versions of Prime and Prime 2. The standard GC controls are kinda hard to get used to, but once you do, you'll be kicking ass and exploring in no time.

Metroid Prime Trilogy was my own first experience with the Metroid series, and I had a wonderful time with all three games. I also agree with burritoman in that the Wii controls are fantastic-- they combine the best of both mouse/keyboard and analog controller (side note: my personal FPS preferences lean toward mouse/keyboard).

The third game is the weakest in the series, and all three games tie into each other story-wise, but I agree with moothemagiccow in that you might want to consider checking it out first given that it's so cheap to begin with. If you do get a chance to buy the whole set for $65, though, I'd say it's worth it.

Thanks for the replies guys. As magiccow said, I'll pick up the 3rd one now, and jump on the chance to get the trilogy once i find it.

Also since no one else mentioned this, let me say that Other M is a horrible, horrible game that should be avoided at all costs.

Super Metroid is by far the high point in the series and deserves to be played by everyone.

[quote name='argyle']Also since no one else mentioned this, let me say that Other M is a horrible, horrible game that should be avoided at all costs.

Super Metroid is by far the high point in the series and deserves to be played by everyone.[/QUOTE]

First Rule about Other M: Don't talk about Other M.

Other M isn't as bad as everyone makes it seem. Sure the story leaves a lot to be desired, but the gameplay is rock solid.

Other M was fine barring the atrocious 1st person parts. Sure the story fell short but at least they tried something other than yet another voiceless rendition of the character with no backstory.

Other M aside (which I thought was pretty good in perspective and worth $4, but I digress), the main question you should be asking is how you want to play all the Primes, because you should at the very least play the first one.

First question is if you have a backwards compatible Wii / Gamecube, which I'm sure you have at least one of those, and the GC controller and memory card. If you don't have those, then it really is a no-brainer to get the Trilogy to avoid hunting those down.

If you could play either the Gamecube originals or the Wii trilogy, and the small details matter to you, then check out this website for the major pros and cons of the trilogy. Mainly pros, though purists will still stick by the Gamecube versions (especially if they played those first, which isn't a problem for you), and technically if you already have all the necessary hardware, it is cheaper.

And as stated before, if you buy it at GS and use a coupon of any sort, you can always turn a profit for the trilogy later on eBay (if in good / complete shape).

[quote name='Corvin']Other M was fine barring the atrocious 1st person parts. Sure the story fell short but at least they tried something other than yet another voiceless rendition of the character with no backstory.[/QUOTE]

Backstories suck. They mean I'm not the person on screen.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Other M isn't as bad as everyone makes it seem.[/QUOTE]

You're right, it's worse.

[quote name='KingBroly']You're right, it's worse.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I know that everyone has different tastes & all, but...ick. Just imagine one of your most hated games, and imagine what you think when someone defends it. That's how I feel when I hear people defend Other M. Not mad, mind you, just...profoundly confused. Anyone who liked it COULDN'T have played the same game I did. :p

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Other M aside (which I thought was pretty good in perspective and worth $4, but I digress), the main question you should be asking is how you want to play all the Primes, because you should at the very least play the first one.

First question is if you have a backwards compatible Wii / Gamecube, which I'm sure you have at least one of those, and the GC controller and memory card. If you don't have those, then it really is a no-brainer to get the Trilogy to avoid hunting those down.

If you could play either the Gamecube originals or the Wii trilogy, and the small details matter to you, then check out this website for the major pros and cons of the trilogy. Mainly pros, though purists will still stick by the Gamecube versions (especially if they played those first, which isn't a problem for you), and technically if you already have all the necessary hardware, it is cheaper.

And as stated before, if you buy it at GS and use a coupon of any sort, you can always turn a profit for the trilogy later on eBay (if in good / complete shape).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the detailed response Billytwoshoes

I found the trilogy in the Chantilly, VA store. What luck and what timing. Didnt want to pass up the chance. The guy there said the store got it 2 days ago. :D

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']the main question you should be asking is how you want to play all the Primes, because you should at the very least play the first one.[/QUOTE]

This is key. The first one is so so so so great, IMO. It is easily my favorite in the series although I'd still rank 2/3 very very high on my all-time list. I played the first Metroid the same month it came out back in the summer of 1987 (with Kid Icarus) so I've enjoyed this series a long time. It is always tough to choose but I put Prime up there with Super Metroid - it's that good. In fact, it is almost a miracle that they made such a great transition from 2D to 3D.

[quote name='Javery']This is key. The first one is so so so so great, IMO. It is easily my favorite in the series although I'd still rank 2/3 very very high on my all-time list. I played the first Metroid the same month it came out back in the summer of 1987 (with Kid Icarus) so I've enjoyed this series a long time. It is always tough to choose but I put Prime up there with Super Metroid - it's that good. In fact, it is almost a miracle that they made such a great transition from 2D to 3D.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Javery. Since I have the trilogy now, I'll play them in order. I'll play Other M after that. Once all that is said and done I'll get the original ones on the Virtual console if they are out.

I say no to the Metroid Prime Trilogy at that price. Just pick up the Gamecube versions of Metroid Prime 1 and 2, followed by MP 3 on Wii. That is if you have a Wii that can play Gamecube games.

Still wish the Wii versions of Metroid Prime 1 and 2 were released individually or a dual pack in North America.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I say no to the Metroid Prime Trilogy at that price. Just pick up the Gamecube versions of Metroid Prime 1 and 2, followed by MP 3 on Wii. That is if you have a Wii that can play Gamecube games.

Still wish the Wii versions of Metroid Prime 1 and 2 were released individually or a dual pack in North America.[/QUOTE]

I do have a backwards compatible Wii, but couldn't find the gamecube version of those games.

Is the Trilogy set awesome? Absolutely.

Is it worth the artificial inflated price Gamestop is asking? Absolutely not.

Of course if you're a 'collector' and take eBay as true market value then it may be worth it. For everyone else, track down he GC versions and enjoy.

edit: Just realized this is an older thread. New layout is a bit confusing. My apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a used GameCube along with MP1 and probably MP2 for less than $65.

MP1 is the best version. And really after you play the first you are good to go. The 2nd is similar. The 3rd is the worst. Not only was the concept getting tired, but they gave in and had some cheesy voices/cutscenes. I dont think I finished the 3rd. The Wii controls were kind of cool. The aiming was slick. But MP1 made great use of the game controller and unlike other fps games I didn't think it needed the wiimote aiming. The motion control stuff was like all motion control. Cool especially on paper, but unreliable enough in practice to annoy you over the long run.

I found my copy at a less the used K-mart a while back by asking a someone on this website to check stock of K-mart and paid MSRP for it not the inflated price.

bread's done
Back