Is my computer dying?

BizzaroSephiroth

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm running XP SP3. I've never gotten a blue screen before:

IMG_2067.jpg

I downloaded the latest drivers for my video card (Radeon 9600), but it still does it every so often.

yep

Could be your motherboard, processor, ram, hard drive, power supply, sound card, or graphics card.

You might try

http://lmgtfy.com/

to help solve your problem. Blue Screen's suck balls. When I had problems, it was the fact that my original case was silent and quiet- thus no air flow so the shit melted over time. When I got a Antec 900 case that was louder than fuck due to the fans, no more problems (after I got my 4th motherboard).

Now I'm using a HAF case

Gaming = Heat = needs cooling = mega loud cooling solutions because it's cheaper than water cooling = loud as hell computer.

If this is the first time it has happened, I wouldn't worry too much. If bsod's continue with the same error, then I'd investigate further (probably in your case today the driver itself crashed, it happens).

[quote name='m6oo']For general hints, may I humbly suggest:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111152

Specifically, do you notice any patterns as to when you get the BSOD? Is it on boot or when you've been running for awhile? What are you doing with your PC when you get them? Just sitting there? Productivity Apps? Games?[/quote]

It's hasn't happened that many times. One time it happened while I was playing Diablo 2, then after I reboot it did it on startup. I think it's done it four times total. There was a lot of dust in the case, so I took a vacuum cleaner to it. Hopefully that fixes it.

Re-install windows. You should around once a year or when necessary. If you dont agree you dont agree with Leo Laporte!

[quote name='BizzaroSephiroth']Can I reinstall if I don't have an install disk?[/QUOTE]

Not unless your PC has a recovery partition. Most newer name brand PCs (Dell etc.) have them. See if you have a small partition on your HD (1-5 GB or so) that you don't know what it's for. If you find one that is small like 100MB or so, then it's probably a diagnostic partition and not a recovery partition.

If you have a recovery partition, then you need to hit some key sequence during boot to activate it. For example, on a Dell, you have to hit +f10 (or maybe f11) like a crazed monkey during boot to get it to boot to the recovery partition.

If you have the latest video driver, download an earlier version.

Alot of PCs have given me the BSOD after a graphics driver update.

I'd hate to hijack, but I'm receiving the exact same problems on my Windows 64-bit build. The only lead I have is that the ram I purchased is said to be only compatible with Intel builds. Since I have an AMD I hope that a simple exchange might solve the problem.

Looking at that BSOD, something is up with your graphics card and/or driver. Since you're using an ATI card (i'm assuming here), then you might want to do some tests on it. I know that there is this thing called "ATI Tools" that could help you out. Download that, don't change any of the clock settings, and hit the "scan for artifacts" button. Let it run for as long as you want, or until you BSOD again. If that sets off the BSOD... it may be relegated to the video card, and all you need to do is repair/upgrade.

Usually, the first thing I do after a BSOD is do a hard drive S.M.A.R.T. scan, where you use a piece of software to "read" the current health of a hard drive. For me, I could replace everything else on the computer, but I can't replace what I have in my hard drive. This may be excessive, but it doesn't hurt.

[quote name='YodaEXE']http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329293

That's what Microsoft has to say about that error. Basically, issue between XP and the video card drivers you're using.[/quote]

He's running SP3; regardless based that its a ntfs.sys error sounds like you need to find a windows cd and run a repair install.

You could see if any of your friends have xp cd's you could use to try and preform a repair install; otherwise it may be time to get a new computer.

With a recovery partition, you could prolly boot into it and see if you could run a repair install. Have you tried accessing it during boot-up?

Ugggggh now I recovered and went through all those screens you have to go through when you first start up a new computer. I got to the last screen and clicked finish and now it's giving me an hour glass and it's been like this for ten minutes.

Now I only have 174 MB on my hard drive and I can't uninstall the programs I want to because the add/remove program list is very short now. I can't even do a windows update.

Well, you're being very stingy with the details of what you've tried and what you haven't, so it's very hard for us to help you...we're not mind readers here.

Anyway, as I (and others) have mentioned, the strange and varied ways in which your PC is having problems point to various possible problems (MoBo, RAM, Power Supply, HDD, Heat)

Aside from heat (you can test this with an open case and a house fan...have you tried this even?), if you can't get your hands on some known good replacement parts to swap out, you're NEVER going to figure out exactly what's wrong with your PC.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

My computer came with a recovery partition, so I did a non destructive recovery. After that I could still use my programs like diablo 2, but now I only have 174 MB left on my hard drive. I tried uninstalling stuff, but the add/remove program list is missing a lot of stuff.

I used Windirstat and found that Returnil was taking up 5 gigs, so I found the uninstaller and got rid of it. Now I have a few gigs free, but I'm still having a problem with Windows Update. I accessed it through the Help and Support Center, but it just says: "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating software for use with the website..." And it also says it uses ActiveX controls, etc. But it just stops there and doesn't do anything. I tried accessing Windows update through Internet Explorer, but it does the same thing.

Honestly, if I were you I'd do a destructive recovery, and just let it format the whole system. Your computer is full of problems, and you're probably going to be better off just starting fresh.

I 2nd YodaEXE thats probably the best thing to do.

1. Use Driver Sweeper 1.5.5 to get rid of your Video card drivers.Then reboot and reinstall the latest drivers.

2. Use CCleaner to uninstall , clean temp files and whatnot.

3.Defrag & Disk check proper maintenance goes along way.

4. Clean you Case inside and GPU,CPU,Case Fans&Heatsinks

Good luck

bread's done
Back