Is my HD defective or does it just come filled up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theduck

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I bought a 360 and my harddrive only has like 10 or 11 gigs of space left. I know it comes with some things preinstalled, but so much? I'm thinking its defective or something. Can someone confirm? I want my 20 gigs. u_u

Oh snap wrong forum. =x sorry

[quote name='Theduck']I bought a 360 and my harddrive only has like 10 or 11 gigs of space left. I know it comes with some things preinstalled, but so much? I'm thinking its defective or something. Can someone confirm? I want my 20 gigs. u_u

[/QUOTE]

Ummmm. Wrong Forums, but to answer your question, the hard drive has many videos and other goodies installed on it. That is why you only have 11 gigs left.

Just replying so don't attack me but yea, I thought it odd to. Delete all the stuff and you still don't have close to the 20gigs.

The hard drive size sucks because I would download all the demos, if anything just to have and play whenever or if people come over, but with limited room you need to be selective. MS should get on this asap

You do have music and videos pre-loaded, and some of the drive is dedicated for a game cache. I think best case scenario, you will have 13-14GB free.

No worries.

[quote name='jntznjamz']what kind of music and videos are preloaded?
i dont think my xbox 360 had any and i bought it new.[/quote]

I remember an Adidas video, something about the Titanic, and some Microsoft 'Behind the Scenes' look at making the 360. And it came with 10 or so songs already on the HDD. And Hexic HD.

[quote name='Rig']I remember an Adidas video, something about the Titanic, and some Microsoft 'Behind the Scenes' look at making the 360. And it came with 10 or so songs already on the HDD. And Hexic HD.[/quote]

That stupid Titanic video is at least a gig in itself. Why the fuck do they preload with useless shit like that.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']Whats cache space. I know how to delete it but I don't know if i should.[/QUOTE]

You can't delete it. It's there forever. It's so developers can, if they chose, write their games to use the hard drive to increase load performance. Or, they actually have the option of making a game that REQUIRES a hard drive (none have yet). So if you filled your hard drive to the brim with videos and demos, and then insert a game that wants to use the hard drive, you won't run into problems because 8 gigs is always reserved.

I was kind of wondering about this myself. It does come with quite a bit of shit loaded on it.
and a question, when my disc tray is open its real wobbly like you can move it alot up down and side side. Is mine fucked up?

Formatting the 360 HDD and erasing everything (videos, music, themes, pics, etc.) will still only leave you with 14GB of free space. It even states on the menu that 6 gigs is reserved for system use.

The main reason (or one of the main reasons) that it's reserved is that you have to have HD space for backcompat, because all Xbox consoles came with a HD. I've heard that some 360 games, i.e. DOA4 make use of it to speed up load times as well, but I have no idea if this is true or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back