Is my iPod warranty worthless?

the_gloaming

CAGiversary!
On Saturday morning, I started getting the "Sad iPod icon error," on my 30GB iPod Video which I received for Christmas last year. Naturally I'm pissed off. So I go to apple.com and check their support site, try to reformat it like it says, and nothing works.

So I went ahead and filled out the application for replacement/repair, and on Tuesday morning a courier picked up the iPod, and it was in Apple HQ by Wednesday. Today (Thursday), I get a package back with a letter that says the following:

Dear Apple Customer:

Thank you for choosing AppleCare Service for servicing your Apple iPod.

Enclosed you will find your original iPod. We regret we were unable to complete the service you requested due to the following reason:

- A diagnostic evaluation has determined that your iPod has internal and external physical damage resulting from an external force.

The needed service is excluded from coverage under the terms of the Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty or extended service contract, such as AppleCare Protection Plan.

Please note that out-of-warranty service options and pricing can be reviewed at http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/faq. If you wish to proceed with out-of-warranty service for your iPod, please contact AppleCare technical support for assistance at 800-APL-CARE (800-275-2273). Help is available seven days a week between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Central time.

New iPod products and other Apple products are available from Apple retail stores, the Apple Store Online (www.apple.com), and Authorized Apple Resellers, if you are considering a new purchase. All new iPod products include a full One (1) Year Limited Warranty.

We appreciate your patience and understanding. Apple has not processed a charge in reference to this service request.

Sincerely,
AppleCare Service.

So I check online to see what options I have for replacing it. It'll cost me $249 plus shipping to get it replaced, which means I can get a replacement of the same model, which may be new/used/refurb. Of course this makes me even more angry; I can buy a new one for cheaper.

Are there any other options I can go through so I don't have to shell out the cash for this? I think someone in another thread mentioned immediate replacement at an Apple Store -- is this true?

I really just don't want to bend over and take it from Apple. At least not without a fight.

Did it have scratches or scrapes on the casing? I know Sony considers that a void of the warranty(found that out with a Ps2). Just had to ask, since Apple might consider that too.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Take this opportunity and get a Zen Vision: M.[/QUOTE]

Or the new Zen Vision: W. Almost wish I would of waited for that one... 4.3 inch widescreen display. :drool:

bread's done
Back