Is Nintendo missing the cross-promotion boat with King of Kong?

hufferstl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
I'm not sure if this movie is going to grow out of the videogame audience, but Nintendo could really be capitalizing on a Donkey Kong for the Wiicade release right now. I've seen a lot of marketing and magazine articles for this movie about Nintendo's first huge arcade success.

If Microsoft can have PacMan tournaments and get an exclusive PacMan CE edition, why wouldn't Nintendo do the same with Donkey Kong? I know the (pie factory-missing) NES game is on the VC, but I want the true arcade experience, and I think Nintendo has missed the boat on another opportunity to make the Wii even more mainstream. Not that they aren't selling well as it is....

[quote name='hufferstl']I'm not sure if this movie is going to grow out of the videogame audience, but Nintendo could really be capitalizing on a Donkey Kong for the Wiicade release right now. I've seen a lot of marketing and magazine articles for this movie about Nintendo's first huge arcade success.
[/quote]

I think they've been missing the boat for years on this.

The only Donkey Kong versions they have released are the old NES versions in various forms (VC, GBA). The same holds true for Donkey Kong Jr., Mario Bros., etc.

I would have loved a Nintendo's Arcade Classics on the GameCube. Nope.

Nintendo arcade games are the only (popular) classic arcade game you can't get on a collections disc for any system.

Namco, on the other hand, keeps releasing their classics over and over in various sets sometimes for the same platforms (GBA had this as well as PS2).

They're trying to go after casual and non-gamers.

I'm not sure a movie about nerds obsessed over the high score in Donkey Kong will help they reach that market.

[quote name='dmaul1114']They're trying to go after casual and non-gamers.

I'm not sure a movie about nerds obsessed over the high score in Donkey Kong will help they reach that market.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I don't know -- the older casuals are exactly who might find a movie about a twenty five year old game interesting. But it's Nintendo -- they'll explode if they aggressively promote anything. Ever.

I guess could see that, at least for the portion that was into games back then and quit playing. But even then it boils down to its a movie about a couple of losers who were obsessed with the game rather than about the game itself.

bread's done
Back