Is now a good time to get a PSP?

DarkSageRK

Banned
I was recently talking to my friend when we got into an argument over which portable is better. After I attempted to defend the DS, he told me to just go ahead and look up what games I'd want to play on it. I found one - TWEWY. He then told me to find what games I'd like to play on the PSP. I found seven. I was clearly tricked by Nintendo's anime-fan aimed marketing schemes in Nintendo Power. So, basically, I'm thinking about getting a PSP now.

I've waited this long. I can probably wait longer (especially since I've been spending my money to get my PS2 RPG collection up to snuff), but I'd like to know if you seers here would deem it a good time to pick up a PSP. All I'm really interested in is S-RPGs and RPGs, so the bundles don't really amaze me.

The main things keeping me away from it are its price (I could get a decent LCD monitor instead and make my PS3 games all pretty), and the rarity of its games that I want (Tales of Eternia for $50? No thx.).

Do I wait and save up money (I just got this job, so I can stockpile money for a couple months or so) for the inevitable second PSP? Do I go out and get this uber slim one? Do I wait for the prices on the others to go down because of the new version?

Help plx~

I know this is frowned upon here (and lots of other places too), but if you are into the custom firmware/homebrew
hacking your PSP and playing emulated games/PS1 games/downloaded PSP games
scene, it's a great time to get a PSP. Since putting custom firmware on my PSP, I've really begun to enjoy it again and play it a lot.

as posted above with the whole custom stuff yes doe's make the PSP more interesting to say the least with a variety of different home brew stuff for it. On a retail end of things it's not a bad system won't say that its better or worse then a DS but still a nice system.

It's all going to boil down to what you're going to use it for. When i was working the night shift which is more of a baby sitting job i loved it cause i could put movies and MP3's on it and still use it for a game system. Battery life varys depending on what your doing , movie watching music anything off the memory card will drain the battery some but not as much a using a UMD.

Wait for the new PSP-3000. The screen is worth the wait and i'm sure it will be hacked within a few weeks of release. If it isn't, the PSP-2000's should be cheaper by then.

[quote name='slidecage']what does the 3000 bring the 2000 dont have[/quote]

A mic and a better screen (less sun glare)

As for a psp, go for it op. Even if you do get bored of the games...it only cost $5 to get Beats. ;)

The PSP 3000 offers an improved LCD screen, mic, and broader TV-out option over the psp 2000. My advice for the OP is to grab the PSP over the DS if your main favorite genre is SRPG and JRPGs. SquareEnix will be going bonkers with releases in the next couple of months, plus you can enjoy "enhanced" classics (i.e. Disgaea PSP or FFTactics PSP). I own both portables, but the PSP takes up most of my portable gaming time. From what you stated, the bigger screen, hi-res graphics, and PSN/PS3 connectivity via a PSP should appeal to your taste. Cheers!

[quote name='FatBoyInside']The PSP 3000 offers an improved LCD screen, mic, and broader TV-out option over the psp 2000. My advice for the OP is to grab the PSP over the DS if your main favorite genre is SRPG and JRPGs. SquareEnix will be going bonkers with releases in the next couple of months, plus you can enjoy "enhanced" classics (i.e. Disgaea PSP or FFTactics PSP). I own both portables, but the PSP takes up most of my portable gaming time. From what you stated, the bigger screen, hi-res graphics, and PSN/PS3 connectivity via a PSP should appeal to your taste. Cheers![/quote]

Isn't the ds all about rpgs now though?

Chrono and others (I'm not the rpg fan...) I guess Pokemon too

[quote name='Foo228']Isn't the ds all about rpgs now though?

Chrono and others (I'm not the rpg fan...) I guess Pokemon too[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, the DS is more suited for puzzle games & rhythm/learning games. Sure, there's a glutton of DS RPGs and SRPGs, but there's only a few exclusives worth playing and the use of a stylus is cumbersome for that particular genre. Plus the graphics are really horrid. If you own both portables, you will truly appreciate the eye candy of the PSP screen.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']In my opinion, the DS is more suited for puzzle games & rhythm/learning games. Sure, there's a glutton of DS RPGs and SRPGs, but there's only a few exclusives worth playing and the use of a stylus is cumbersome for that particular genre. Plus the graphics are really horrid. If you own both portables, you will truly appreciate the eye candy of the PSP screen.[/quote]

Yes and you have to love the use of the screen with the great cut scenes like some from FF7 and God Of War in my mind comparable to PS3 sometimes. Not to mention at one point Bethesda was working on a Oblivion game for the PSP sucks it got canceled

In regards to the whole hacked thing
that depends you could be waiting a few weeks or a few months it did take a while for the 2000 to become hacked but it did happen as it always does :lol: but it will be harder for the custom 1.50 exploit to allow home brew to work cause that system can't handle the exploitable firmwares due to design and
Sony as put forth a lot of effort to stop a issues of piracy i know they took the tool trick out which was a big push in the redesign of the 3000 other then the screen and such but to give credit were credit is due so has the hacker community .

They are both great systems. If I were you i would wait for the 4 gig 3000 bundle. Right now my favorite games are castlevania rondo of blood and hot shots golf portable 2. Unfortunately I can't find metal gear portable ops and I am waiting for god of war to come down in price about 20 bucks. If I knew I was getting old school homebrew goodness I wouldn't even consider a ds unless you like puzzle games alot.

PSP has a lot of great games even if you don't want to homebrew. Field Commander, Jeanne d'Arc, and Lumines are examples of great original games.

the 2000 won't go down in price just like the 1000 didn't (maybe $10) even after the 3000 comes out. They will stop making 2000s but if you have a limited edition starwars or gow psp it will probably keep it's value the longest.

the psp is heads and shoulders superior to the DS both in technology and capabilities. DS is mainly for 5 year olds and filled with games for little boys and girls and it's a good system for parents to buy their little kids so they can doodle on it instead of doodling on the carpet. I mean, you know gaming is on it's way out when people buy millions of dog simulator games which have no appeal and aren't interesting to a guy like me whatsoever (who has real dogs. lol..).

If you like the same anime/chibi/cartoon/pokemon/rpg/2d-3d games over and over, get a DS for all other things like FPS, action games, sports games, etc, get a PSP.

if you are a teen or adult such as myself and want to play socom online or an amazing Vice city port or tekken 5 with your friends, God of War, Daxter, Clank, full DVD movies, skype, mp3, software and internet radio or web browsing all on a vivid 4.2" LCD, I can't give you any reason you wouldn't want to get a psp. No other handheld can do all those things, especially not the DS.

I have both and I gotta say I think I'm more of a DS guy. I suggest spending the money you would spend on a PSP and just buy more DS games!

I also feel that spending $35 - $40 each on DS games (particularly rpg titles or first party Nintendo titles) is a huge rip-off. They might be quality games, but certainly not in value.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']I also feel that spending $35 - $40 each on DS games (particularly rpg titles or first party Nintendo titles) is a huge rip-off. They might be quality games, but certainly not in value.[/quote]

So buy used...

BUY the psp 3000 cuz its worth it u could listen to music not on the ds.My psp 1000 broke a month ago and im waitin for the psp 3000.IM so excited ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

pick up a psp-2000 while you still can. the 3000 is apparently "homebrew proof". I'd honestly only like my PSP half as much if I couldnt use Opera Mini for the web on it, read PDF ebooks, use MSN (and the others) chat, and play emulated games.

[quote name='evilmrt']pick up a psp-2000 while you still can. the 3000 is apparently "homebrew proof". I'd honestly only like my PSP half as much if I couldnt use Opera Mini for the web on it, read PDF ebooks, use MSN (and the others) chat, and play emulated games.[/quote]

He's right it may be a little rule bending but the home brew stuff on the PSP is worth an older model like the 1000/2000. There's a wonderful source of home brew apps out there such stuff as wifi finders which are actually cool and other then just apps there's a whole spool of games that are made by regular people and groups. Much development has gone in to the PSP in regards to the home brew apps and not the piracy thing but ohers like being able to use the 360 chat pad on it or even alarm clock , timers, stopwatch, DOOM, Duke Nukem, DosBox

In regards to the whole bundle thing that's your call. If you part it out right you maybe able to build a better bundle so to speak as cheap as many of the items such as memory cards and stuff go i think i paid $20 for my 4 GB card on ebay. Unless your trying to nail a special edition system it's not worth the bundle depends on the game.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Alternatively, for a little extra money, you could pick up a 360 if you don't already have one.[/quote]

Although if you're looking to play it on the bus, probably not the best choice.:)

I've pretty much lost interest in my DS now, it's PSP all the way for me.

A lot of people are losing interest in the DS and switching to the PSP even the sales for PSP are catching up to the DS and PSPs are sold out constantly at walmart and target in my area whereas they have walls of DS'.

Especially the new madden bundle sold out and is backordered at most stores.

[quote name='Casiotech']A lot of people are losing interest in the DS and switching to the PSP even the sales for PSP are catching up to the DS and PSPs are sold out constantly at walmart and target in my area whereas they have walls of DS'.

Especially the new madden bundle sold out and is backordered at most stores.[/quote]

Both systems are in over abundance in my area at most brick & mortar places. But, the PSP has a very long way to go before it's caught up to the DS in terms of overall sales. As far as this handheld gen is concerned, Nintendo has won with flying colors.

To OP, I'd say buy a PSP is truly going to get full use out of it. I've been flip/flopping with the PSP since it came out back in '05. It's a great little movie player if you stick your own stuff on there, and there's an ok library for it. Personally, I occasionally use mine to play some Monster Hunter and the occasional Hot Shots, but anything other than that, it usually sits and collects dust. Like the PS2 later in its life cycle, it's a good a decent selection of $20 and under games as well.

Why do people think the PSP-3000 will be "hacked in a month"? It has a battery port that has been redesigned to defeat Pandora and a new (TA-89) processor. No one's been able to hack its predecessor yet -- the TA-88v3, used in the Japan-only Mint Green PSP Slim -- let alone, the new version.

Read the maxconsole forums and have a look at what real homebrew developers are saying. Dark Alex, arguably the most important active developer, is calling the PSP-3000 "the end of homebrew."

If you want the better screen and internal mic, get the 3000. If you want to be able to use CFW, get the 2000 -- ideally, an earlier-produced bundle to avoid the TA-88v3.

One last thing:

Why do you think Sony discontinued their extended life battery pack recently? Answer: Because they're going to put out a new extended life battery pack (Sony's confirmed this). It will be backward-compatible -- this we know -- but will be made for the new 3000, with its redesigned battery port.

And they didn't change the port to improve battery life, either. Sony's on record as saying the 3000's battery life will be worse than the 2000's (though a Sony exec has since tried to take that back). Do a search on pspfanboy and you'll see what I mean.

[quote name='fidgeteer']Why do people think the PSP-3000 will be "hacked in a month"? It has a battery port that has been redesigned to defeat Pandora and a new (TA-89) processor. No one's been able to hack its predecessor yet -- the TA-88v3, used in the Japan-only Mint Green PSP Slim -- let alone, the new version.

Read the maxconsole forums and have a look at what real homebrew developers are saying. Dark Alex, arguably the most important active developer, is calling the PSP-3000 "the end of homebrew."

If you want the better screen and internal mic, get the 3000. If you want to be able to use CFW, get the 2000 -- ideally, an earlier-produced bundle to avoid the TA-88v3.[/quote]
Well Said and will be nice to see what develops in this area as Dark Alex has done a great job with the whole CFW but this new revision of hardware design will once more bring more groups of hardware hackers back to the system just to say "yes we can" but like you i doubt it will happen in a month if at all

[quote name='fidgeteer']Why do people think the PSP-3000 will be "hacked in a month"? It has a battery port that has been redesigned to defeat Pandora and a new (TA-89) processor. No one's been able to hack its predecessor yet -- the TA-88v3, used in the Japan-only Mint Green PSP Slim -- let alone, the new version.

If you want the better screen and internal mic, get the 3000. If you want to be able to use CFW, get the 2000 -- ideally, an earlier-produced bundle to avoid the TA-88v3.[/quote]

So the Daxter or GoW bundle? Not the football one?

[quote name='RoGo7']So the Daxter or GoW bundle? Not the football one?[/QUOTE]

You'll want to avoid that horrible silver PSP that comes in the Daxter bundle.

Not meant as a troll since I plan on buying a PSP 3000 Memory Stick pack and love my PSP, but besides Resistance, what's coming out for it that isn't a port?

[quote name='furyk']Not meant as a troll since I plan on buying a PSP 3000 Memory Stick pack and love my PSP, but besides Resistance, what's coming out for it that isn't a port?[/QUOTE]

Star Ocean
Dissidia Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep

Those are the big ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm looking forward to some sequels:

Loco Roco 2
Patapon 2
Parasite Eve 3rd Birthday

and

Neverland Card Battle

Plus, the 2-D side scroller staring Prinny the Penguin from Disgaea appears to be a riot.

the psp 3000 will be cracked, every system to date has been cracked. If you can make the security for it, you can unmake the security. It's a fact of technology.

It may take longer, but it will happen eventually.

Personally I would love for it to be hack proof, suddenly, psp1000/2000 will be worth 2x in a couple of years when the market is saturated with 3000s.

[quote name='Casiotech']Personally I would love for it to be hack proof, suddenly, psp1000/2000 will be worth 2x in a couple of years when the market is saturated with 3000s.[/quote]

It also might bring some more devs onboard if piracy is as big a problem on the PSP as some people think.

So, what is the best version of the psp slim to get if you intend to hack it for homebrew? I've been looking at the silver and the regular black ones on ebay. I've been out bid a couple times though. I've come close to getting one or two in the $70 range though. I've been looking at best buy's ebay outlet and a seller called 2ndturn.

I would like the 3000, but but I like being able to hack and mod more. I got an original xbox modded into an awesome media center. It's amazing to see what you can find on the homebrew scene.

yeah homebrew delivers.

anyway, you probably won't get a working one for less than $90, a broken one is usually around $60 no matter what's wrong with it and a slim is around $120 on ebay.

if you find a deal it's usually a roughed up psp without a battery or charger or missing parts of broken buttons or something. If you want to get a mint PSP with all accessories, you will probably spend around $120 or so on ebay.

Buy the slim it's a real improvment. If you buy a psp1000, it likely had 5 ebay owners since 2005 and tons of problems.. and you'll still pay $70-100.

see if you can find a deal on a new one. That's the best way to go. Maybe a GOW bundle for $170 off ebay you can sell the game and the UMD and get like $30 so that's the best deal.

I see PSP closing for $50 that's completely smashed and cracked. That's something I thought would be complete garbage that's worthless but people these days will salvage anything and resell it.

who cares if it's a port

you get ps2 games on the go

wtf are you guys complaining for?

force unleashed, lego batman, tekken 5, burnout, manhunt 2, etc.. :drool::drool:

[quote name='SL4IN']Star Ocean is a port.....[/QUOTE]

A port of a game that's never seen a US release so, "6 of one..."

[quote name='Casiotech']who cares if it's a port

you get ps2 games on the go

wtf are you guys complaining for?

force unleashed, lego batman, tekken 5, burnout, manhunt 2, etc.. :drool::drool:[/QUOTE]

I care because the best PSP games have been built from the ground up. My top five favorite PSP games (Luminese, Loco Roco, Patapon, Mega Man Powered Up, and Wipeout Pure) all were made for the PSP. Furthermore there's been one PS2 port that isn't a collection (Disgaea) that I think is better on the PSP then the PS2.

The PSP is an amazing handheld. I've got both the PSP (PSP-1000) and DS (I've had my PSP for like 11 months and DS for 6) and I spend a lot more of my time ont he PSP. I would wait on the PSP-3000 and use the Sonystyle.com credit card deal ($150 off purchases $299+). Wait for the verdict on whether or not it can be hacked, and make your decision from there. If it turns out that it's not hackable, I would go for a used PSP-1000 or 2000 on eBay with the live.com cashback deal or grab one on Craigslist.

bread's done
Back