Is Osama Bin Laden Even Alive Anymore?

nasum

CAGiversary!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101027/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_bin_laden_tape#mwpphu-container

So once or twice a year we get these tapes of OBL, talking about this that and the other thing. They show up, stir up some people, but in the three days (if even) that the tapes are in the media cycle, no one really bothers to do a full on authentication of the voice. At least, not on air. I'm sure that are military is doing that. Maybe.

Anyhow, I just wonder if this guy has actually been dead for the better part of the last three or four years. Sure, there was some "report" that he was living in a villa just on the other side of the Pakistani border. But given the technology we have with satellite imaging and such, you'd think this report could be substantiated and we could put a decent enough bounty on the guy's head that it would make it worthwhile for the locals to turn on him.

I dont think finding him is a priority since he is just one guy. Besides they got sadam and that made for a big victory dance for the us to last them awhile. If osama was killed for sure it wouldnt change anything, infact it would probablly piss his guys off even more. Its not like they depend on him given how they work in cell groups and are mostly independant of the others they will still carry on.

And its not hard to imagine him being almost impossible to find. High tech doesnt mean squat with them. They have been living, hiding and fighting with little technology for a very long time. They have a stronger will and resolve than we do also which makes them more willing to do whatever it takes. I think they got lucky with sadam when they caught him. Besides his people didnt like him much cause he was a piece of shit to them, osama on the other hand is probablly very important to his people so they will do what they can to keep him safe.

I remember Saddam being found in that little hole, but how was he actually found? Did someone hear him sneeze?

I always wonder where these insurgent groups and such keep getting their bullets. Aren't they just going to eventually run out?

[quote name='nasum']I remember Saddam being found in that little hole, but how was he actually found? Did someone hear him sneeze?

I always wonder where these insurgent groups and such keep getting their bullets. Aren't they just going to eventually run out?[/QUOTE]

People believe the US is the only country that causes any mischief in the world. In reality they are probably getting them from all over (including indirectly from us), but supposedly the russians, and maybe the chinese are making a killing off of it. (part of the reason they always block extreme sanctions.)

Anyone notice that iran is receiving russian aid to build its nuclear reactor? While I am sure it is better to have someone watching the iranians play with nuclear material, I am not sure the russians should be entirely trusted.

It kills me when people sit around and complain that the US sticks its nose in everyones business, and pretend that the rest of the world isnt doing the same thing to gain every competitive edge for the sake of their own countries.

[quote name='perdition(troy']He's just a replaceable figurehead, it doesn't matter if he's alive or dead.[/QUOTE]
I don't know about that. I think he's a pretty desirable target and his fame makes him not easily replaced for propaganda purposes.
[quote name='Knoell']People believe the US is the only country that causes any mischief in the world. In reality they are probably getting them from all over (including indirectly from us), but supposedly the russians, and maybe the chinese are making a killing off of it. (part of the reason they always block extreme sanctions.)[/quote]
I'm going to regret this.

I don't know of anyone that believes that about the US. And every country with a security council veto has a pet that pisses off just about the entire world. Iran is strategically important to Russia. North Korea is strategically important to China. It's just that simple.
It kills me when people sit around and complain that the US sticks its nose in everyones business, and pretend that the rest of the world isnt doing the same thing to gain every competitive edge for the sake of their own countries.
We're by far the most politically, economically, and militarily powerful country on earth, man. Of course people pay more attention to what we do. Power means attention. It's why even informed people can name their Senator but can't name more than 2 city council members (if that) or god forbid, a school board member.

I agree that he's not really a big deal anymore. I mean, it would be awesome if we got him and everything, but in reality, with or without him, bad stuff with continue to happen. Without him, someone else will step up and become the new #1. We didn't know any of the other people caught (well, for the most part, none of the names were familiar to the average person), but those involved know the names very well and that's all that matters.

We have a responsibility as the most powerful country in the world to help those out who are in trouble. Unfortuantely, many things goes wrong along the way including misdirection of funds and resources, prioritizing issues, etc etc. Regardless of the reasons we did it, Sadam needed to go. The Taliban cannot be ignored. Many other issues around the globe should be addressed. If we aren't willing to stick our noses into everyone's business, who will? Iraq didn't look so great if you were on the Kurd side of things...

[quote name='nasum']http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101027/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_bin_laden_tape#mwpphu-container

So once or twice a year we get these tapes of OBL, talking about this that and the other thing. They show up, stir up some people, but in the three days (if even) that the tapes are in the media cycle, no one really bothers to do a full on authentication of the voice. At least, not on air. I'm sure that are military is doing that. Maybe.

Anyhow, I just wonder if this guy has actually been dead for the better part of the last three or four years. Sure, there was some "report" that he was living in a villa just on the other side of the Pakistani border. But given the technology we have with satellite imaging and such, you'd think this report could be substantiated and we could put a decent enough bounty on the guy's head that it would make it worthwhile for the locals to turn on him.[/QUOTE]
You have to realize that these are a tribal people we're talking about. Their customs and beliefs make it harder to get them to turn on someone. Assuming Bin Laden is in Pakistan, he's being protected by the locals.

[quote name='Retom7']We have a responsibility as the most powerful country in the world to help those out who are in trouble. Unfortuantely[/QUOTE]

No we don't.

[quote name='perdition(troy']No we don't.[/QUOTE]

From a human or world standpoint we do. I'm not saying every involvement will be justified or appropriate, but to sit back and do nothing while the world creates larger and larger issues would be stupid from any view. Stopping the next Hitler at an early stage would certainly be a better option then waiting until he or she controls 1/2 of Europe. Why shouldn't we help out with other issues around the world?

[quote name='Retom7']From a human or world standpoint we do. I'm not saying every involvement will be justified or appropriate, but to sit back and do nothing while the world creates larger and larger issues would be stupid from any view. Stopping the next Hitler at an early stage would certainly be a better option then waiting until he or she controls 1/2 of Europe. Why shouldn't we help out with other issues around the world?[/QUOTE]
Part of the problem is that the US is complicit in creating the problems that require us to "police the world." It's the reason why we're the "strongest." We directly and literally created "terrorists" and propped up dictators to protect our corporate business interests.

Osama has infinite lives and cheat codes for endless reinforcements, nuff said.

[quote name='dafoomie']We'll have a great opportunity to nail Bin Laden when he travels to Paris to formally accept their surrender.[/QUOTE]

Bravo! :lol:

First up yes I think he's alive and sure it would be a giant moral booster if we caught him, but I don't think it would make a difference at this point. It's like fighting a Hydra cut one head off and 2 more grow in its place. Plus it may actually give them another reason to attack us.

As for
Originally Posted by nasum
we could put a decent enough bounty on the guy's head that it would make it worthwhile for the locals to turn on him.
Clak said it, No amount of money or any other compensation is going to get the people who are protecting him to give him up simply because they think he is right.

It's just their culture. After living in the middle east all my life and having visited Pakistan multiple times (and not the nice fancy areas of Pakistan either) I believe that not only do some of the people not care about material things, some of them probably see it as an honor to be helping in anyway possible. Even if they hypothetically do take the 50million bounty (or whatever it is) they would be probably ripped to shreds by their neighbors/family/acquaintances. If they do somehow survive handing him over to us, they would be forever looking over their shoulders because they would know that they are now up there on the terrorists hit lists.

Personally I think they should add some sort of witness protection to the deal for everyone involved and their families, Just my two cents

bread's done
Back