Is paypal safe to use?

Azul_KoolAid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I want to use paypal to buy stuff from ebay but I've heard alot of bad stories about paypal locking people out of their accounts and thus screwing them out of 100s of $$$. So, is paypal safe to use for buying stuff? Also, does paypal have any fees for the person buying a item?

I also hear all of the horror stories, about chargebacks and such. I don't have an account, becuase I feel money orders are safer, although they take more time. And yes, money orders can be fake, but that's why I have them checked before sending any items out. I don't think PayPal charges the buyer anything, but I may be wrong...

ive been using paypal for close to 2 yrs :whistle2:\...never had ne problems like that, i use it to recieve funds from sales, buy stuff and transfer the money, its been safe so far
the only thing i dont like is using it to recieve money since it takes a small fee and u dont see the money until like 3-5 days...but using it to buy hasnt given me ne problems

just dont leave any money in your account. Open up a savings account and only transfer money into it when you are going ot make a purchase.

[quote name='bignick']just dont leave any money in your account. Open up a savings account and only transfer money into it when you are going ot make a purchase.[/quote]
Do you do that or are you just suggesting it?

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I transfer all the money I recieve to my bank account as soon as possible.[/quote]

Same here. I've had no problems in 3 years of use.

Use paypal to buy, not to sell things, they offer decent protection for buyers and if you pay with a credit card through paypal you can often do a chargeback through your credit company if you are being scammed.

[quote name='Azul_KoolAid'][quote name='bignick']just dont leave any money in your account. Open up a savings account and only transfer money into it when you are going ot make a purchase.[/quote]
Do you do that or are you just suggesting it?[/quote]

I do that. It's good advice.

[quote name='bignick']just dont leave any money in your account. Open up a savings account and only transfer money into it when you are going ot make a purchase.[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='Azul_KoolAid'][quote name='bignick']just dont leave any money in your account. Open up a savings account and only transfer money into it when you are going ot make a purchase.[/quote]

I do that. It's good advice.[/quote]

I do that also

yea, it is safe..........

........but if you get ripped off, they cannot help you even though they say they have "buyer protection"

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='Azul_KoolAid'][quote name='bignick']just dont leave any money in your account. Open up a savings account and only transfer money into it when you are going ot make a purchase.[/quote]

I do that. It's good advice.[/quote]
Thanks for everyone's input I'll transfer cash into the account when I buy something.

[quote name='help1']its getting worse and worse every minute[/quote]

How does someone not of age to get a credit card comment on the state of Paypal use?

There are no fees for using paypal to purchase, it's all on the receiver. You can either xfer funds from a bank accout into your Paypal account, or use a credit card to make purchases.

If you want to sell items and receive money, you can get a Paypal Mastercard that works like a debit card to make purchases with so you don't have to deal with xfering funds to a checking account. And the money's availible to spend right away.

Big Nick, if you xfer funds between a bank account, Paypal already has access to that account and could 'theoretically' fuck with your funds no matter what. If they put money into it by mistake, they can take it out too. And unscrupulous hackers could probably raid your account as well, but I haven't heard any of my friends having any problems.

[quote name='Azul_KoolAid']Thanks for everyone's input I'll transfer cash into the account when I buy something.[/quote]

I wouldn't transfer cash into your account!

PayPal is safe but I would only use a credit card for buying.
If something goes wrong with the deal it's going to be a major hassle getting your cash back.
If you use a credit card you have the option of getting your credit card company involved.

IMO, it's a lot safer for a buyer than sending a money order to the seller in the mail. True you can still get scammed, but at least you can try a PayPal chargeback and then a CC chargeback (if you pay by credit card of course)

As a buyer I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as PayPal freezing your account. That generally only happens to sellers who have some complaints against them from buyers. Plus you won't have any funds in your account as a buyer. Just use a CC and they just charge your card each time you make a purchase (i.e. no need to keep funds in your account).

And no, there are no fees for buyers using PayPal.

bread's done
Back