Is Shovel Knight better than Mega Man?

39215-grumpy-cat-no-Vyfj.jpeg

Shovel Knight is a lot of fun, but it's in no way better than most games from the Mega Man franchise. 

Shovel Knight is better than some Mega Man games.  It has the advantage of only having to appear like it is constrained by the limitations of the 8 bit days.  Mega Man games (minus 7-10, of course) looked and played like that because they actually were constrained.

There are many facets of Shovel Knight where they were able to "cheat" to get better results.  Parallax scrolling is the obvious one.  Also, they don't have to scan line flicker or deal with funky buffer issues on the scrolling that cause distortions on the edge of the screen or slowdown.  Shovel Knight can also use a lot more memory for large scale enemies/moving obstacles and move them, where NES games had to make them the background (and the platforms were sprites) or make them not move at all.  Not to mention being able to store a much larger variety of animations and unique characters - and not being constrained by a sprite size.

I love Shovel Knight, but they have a great deal of an advantage here in order to be considered "better".  As a straight up comparison, I'd say it's better than any Mega Man except 2 and 3 (my opinion, of course).  Minus the 25 year technology advantage, I'd say the all of the first 6 Mega Man games (leaving out 7-10 due to also having tech advantages) are better given what they did with what they had - and they pioneered it.  Mega Man was unlike anything else when it came out, it gets a bonus for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ripoffs aren't better than the original.
Can it be considered a "ripoff" if it is made by the same guy, or is it just evolution of an idea? And yes, they can be better than the original. Super Mario Bros. could be considered a "ripoff" of Pacland, but it is far superior.

bread's done
Back