Is Steam a good service?

jman2avatar

CAGiversary!
I'm getting a new laptop tomorrow and I wanted to know if Steam is a good service for PC games. Please keep in mind that my laptop can run graphics at a low to medium level.

Dude, Steam is the best service out there for PC gaming. Games are updated automatically and are registered to your library so you can install them whenever you want. You don't need to run any game on its max settings, and a lot of games will adjust their settings to suit your PC. Games are also incredibly cheap on Steam, what with all the Humble Bundles, Steamgifts, biannual Steam sales, and myriad other third-party websites that offer Steamplay games for cheap.

My desktop from 2007 has about 40 Steam games installed on it out of the over 1,000 that I own. That's right--I own around 1,050 Steam games, and most of them cost me less than 50 cents each. They also periodically have glitched prices; Borderlands 2 has been $2, Darksiders II has been $3, Metro 2033 was free, and Metro Last Light was 1 cent.

I'm sure you've heard of Steam and maybe just want to know a bit more about it, so I'll take the question seriously. Steam has lots of older titles that will run fine on a lower-medium level laptop. As Blade mentioned, a lot of games adjust the settings automatically for you. Steam also keeps track of what games have updates available, so you don't have to go searching for them.

As everyone mentions, the prices are unbelievable. When I started using Steam I had heard that there was a ton of discounts, but I couldn't believe how quick I was able to build up a huge collection of games spending the same amount of money I normally would have before Steam.

Thanks for the responses. I hope that I don't go overboard on spending.
Just wait for their major sales (summer one is coming up, I think).

I don't think I've ever paid full price for anything on Steam but it's great because I pick up games I would normally never play.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've heard a lot of the good about Steam so it's time to hear some negatives regarding digital distribution. Ultimately, though, if you plan to play PC games Steam is nearly unavoidable.

1) There is no reselling like an old pc game or console game. Even if you bought it at full price, that's it - you're not recouping any of your money.

2) Some, perhaps many, retail discs require Steam. This is bad because the retail disc is effectively useless like in point #1. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_Steam_authentication

3) Steam likely won't have every game you want. EA is making a big push for their service called Origin. I doubt Battlefield 4 will make its way to Steam. So you'll come to a point where you have multiple digital distribution clients running.

4) This is mostly a positive. Some games will be available on different digital platforms. You'll run into a point where you have to ask "Do I want PC game x on Steam, Origin, GOG, etc?" It's the way we are heading, but it's certainly more annoying than just "I'm getting PC game x!"

5) If Valve ever goes under or chooses to stop supporting (parts of) Steam, access to (certain) games would be over. Unlikely but not impossible.

I've also heard of GreenmanGamimg. Is that site only for discounts on games or can you play games on it too?
It is a distributor of games. Just like buying a game from the store, but these games have various DRM.

Usually most of the main sales advertised here on CAG are all redeemable on Steam. That means you buy the KEY from GMG and then redeem it on Steam to add the game to your library.

I believe they have some capsule service for DRM free games? But I am not sure, someone else can speak to that, but ultimately it is just a store to get keys for Steam or Origin mainly.

How long does it usually take to download games off steam.  My new laptop is going to have a 64bit Windows 7 OS if that means anything.

How long does it usually take to download games off steam. My new laptop is going to have a 64bit Windows 7 OS if that means anything.
Depends on a whole slew of things.

Mainly your actual internet speeds themselves. But also each game varies greatly in size. Some games can be only a few MB, where as you have other games like Max Payne 3 that is a whopping 30GB. Obviously then the larger the game, the longer it will take. I have 50MB speeds personally and so downloading even something like Max Payne 3 takes no more than 10/15 minutes. I have used Steam to DL games on really bad connections and I just have them run when I go to bed then since they take so long!

One thing to note, even if you have a slow internet connection, in your Steam settings, say you have the fastest. That always seems to minorly boost speeds even when on crappy connections.

I don't have much to add here that hasn't already been said, but one thing I should point out about not being able to sell used games is that if you are patient, you can get a lot of the games so cheap that it's still cheaper than buying a console game, playing it, and then getting some of the money back.

If you don't need to get a game as soon as it comes out, you can easily get most games at 75% off after a year or two during steam sales. Also, many Steam games can be gotten even cheaper, even when not on sale through Humble Bundles and other CAGs if you check out the Steam thread.

bread's done
Back