Is the $599 PS3 with 80GB and Motorstorm a good deal?

If you were on the fence about getting a PS3, I don't think this would be enough to push you over, so no. If you were getting one soon anyway, then sure, it's more for the same price.

No, PS3 is dropping to $500 by next Thursday and both the HDD & Motorstorm can be had for way cheaper. Not to mention that buying new would net you 5 free BR movies (even if you could care less about BR, they could easily fetch you a PS3 game via trade-in or selling).

Depends on how much media you're going to use. In my opinion 60gb is plenty and at $499 it's a better deal than 20 extra GB and a game at 100 bucks more.

I'd guess Motorstorm would be dropping in price around Thanksgiving and Christmas, no? Might want to factor that possibility in...

No, not at all. It won't be available for at least a month anyway and the EE chip may be removed. Get the 60GB.

Horrible deal.

The PS3 HDD is user-upgradable - google around for "PS3 hdd upgrade" and you'll find directions. It uses a standard 2.5" SATA drive and formats the drive based on the firmware. The additional 20 GB of space for $40 is just not worth it. If you find yourself downloading a lot of things on the 60 GB version, you can always upgrade yourself. I think you lose savegames, but that's it.

Plus, there's some question right now as to whether the 80 GB version will have the Emotion Engine (PS2 chip) or whether it will have all PS2 backwards compatibility done through software. As my EU friends can attest, not every PS2 game works through the software. The only way to get 100% true backwards compatibility is through that chip.

[quote name='baberg']google around for "PS3 hdd upgrade" [/quote]

No need to even do that. The HD replacement directions are included in the owners manual. My brother in law upgraded his 20 to a 160 in about 5 minutes.

Its not a question anymore. They 80gb Motorstormbundle PS3 loses the emotion engine and ps1 on a chip and goes with software emu.

So for a $100 extra, you get 20 gigs, a game that will be $25 by the end of the year, and you LOSE full ps2/1 backward compatability.

Thats a HORRIBLE deal.

[quote name='baberg']Horrible deal.

The PS3 HDD is user-upgradable - google around for "PS3 hdd upgrade" and you'll find directions. It uses a standard 2.5" SATA drive and formats the drive based on the firmware. The additional 20 GB of space for $40 is just not worth it. If you find yourself downloading a lot of things on the 60 GB version, you can always upgrade yourself. I think you lose savegames, but that's it.

Plus, there's some question right now as to whether the 80 GB version will have the Emotion Engine (PS2 chip) or whether it will have all PS2 backwards compatibility done through software. As my EU friends can attest, not every PS2 game works through the software. The only way to get 100% true backwards compatibility is through that chip.[/quote]

It won't be long until gamers "loose" interest in the $499 60GB model and all we will see in stores is the $599 Motorstorm model. :whistle2:$

Software emulation...hmmm....w/ the current deals on a 60Gb, I'd definitely go with the older model (and the EE chip) over the new 80Gb.

bread's done
Back