Is the gameboy advance supposed to be dim?

erehwon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
I got an old gameboy advance at a garage sale for $0.50. I've tested it and it plays but the screen is very dim. It's hard to make out while indoors. Is it getting old or is there a brightness control I've over looked? I was thinking of selling it, so I want to figure this out. That and find a battery door.

If it is just an original Gameboy Advance, then yes, the screen is actually rather dim.

Even the original SP was a little dim until they came out with the AGS-101 models which were actually backlit.

So the answer is yes, that is how they are supposed to be.

Yeah IIRC that was a big complaint until the frontlit SP (which was still not great, but better) and later generation backlit SPs came out. I remember there was a mod for the GBA to put a light in it.

Thanks. I was wondering about. Now, I have to decide if I want to sell it as is or find a battery door. I'll probably just throw it on craigslist for $5 or $10 to see if someone bites.

[quote name='62t']Compare to the DS Lite is very dim.[/QUOTE]

As SpazX pointed out, it was even dim compared to the non AGS-101 models of the SP, and those things were awful.

The original SP was so much better over the original and at that time it was acceptable. The backlit GBA SP is just a huge improvement over even the original fat DS.

[quote name='erehwon']Thanks. I was wondering about. Now, I have to decide if I want to sell it as is or find a battery door. I'll probably just throw it on craigslist for $5 or $10 to see if someone bites.[/QUOTE]

The battery door is the commonly lost part for the GBA, keep in mind that most would prefer GBA SP with the better screen and backwards compatibility with all GB games. So you may want to bundle your GBA with something in case you are selling it.

[quote name='62t']The original SP was so much better over the original and at that time it was acceptable. The backlit GBA SP is just a huge improvement over even the original fat DS.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that original DS gave me headaches as well trying to make things out sometimes. No idea what they were thinking on that one.

It's not that the original Advance had a dim screen. It's that the screen was meant to have light shining on it unlike most backlit LCDs. Take a DS lite on a car trip and you'll have to max the brightness to see when the sun is shining, but the Gameboy Advance looks best in direct light.

I wish the AGS-101 SP's werent going for $150 in Pink or I'd get one.

I have the original unplayable GBA, and a Micro, as well as a couple of DSlites, but I want a Backlit SP dammit! I traded my frontlit SP when the DSlite came out.

[quote name='Puffa469']I wish the AGS-101 SP's werent going for $150 in Pink or I'd get one.

I have the original unplayable GBA, and a Micro, as well as a couple of DSlites, but I want a Backlit SP dammit! I traded my frontlit SP when the DSlite came out.[/QUOTE]

Woah, are you saying that the 101 models are going for $150 or you are looking for Pink color 101 models?

I got a used one for under USD $50 over a year ago, and I don't see anyone paying $60 or more for a used one.

[quote name='Puffa469']I wish the AGS-101 SP's werent going for $150 in Pink or I'd get one.

I have the original unplayable GBA, and a Micro, as well as a couple of DSlites, but I want a Backlit SP dammit! I traded my frontlit SP when the DSlite came out.[/QUOTE]

I've seen them all over eBay, and they are not going for nearly that much, and they get sold all the time.

Where did you see this "$150" Pink SP?

I'm talking new in the box. I dont want a used one, which I can get for $50-60 or so.

New in Box Pink Backlit GBA goes for around $150. That's the cheapest one because it's pink. The other colors usually go for much more.

bread's done
Back