Is the graphics war over?! My PS3 says YES!

Thomas96

CAGiversary!
I went ahead and picked up God of War 3 last night and yes it was impressive, but now I'm mad. Because if GOW3 is going to set the bar high like that, it makes me want other games to try and get on GOW3's level. I want my Bayonetta to be up there with GOW3, I want my Dante's inferno to be up there with GOW3.
Every game doesn't need to look as good as GOW3 I can respect different graphical styles, but I think that they should at least play well and run smoothly.

Based on the games that we've seen from PS3, can we at least say that at this time, its the best system graphically?

Bayonetta looks pretty great on 360... not so much on ps3. I agree that some of the stuff on PS3 lately has been really impressive.... but i wouldn't say the "graphics war" is "over"

I've only played GoW 3 on a lowly SD TV, but the graphics weren't any more impressive than REmake/RE0 from last generation. Maybee I need to make some new friends that have HD TVs.

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']I've only played GoW 3 on a lowly SD TV, but the graphics weren't any more impressive than REmake/RE0 from last generation. Maybee I need to make some new friends that have HD TVs.[/QUOTE]

just wow.....

Is the PS3 gpu essentially a G70?

"NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang stated during Sony's pre-show press conference at E3 2005 that the RSX is twice as powerful as the GeForce 6800 Ultra"

Yet some games look good. That must mean that PC developers are lazy cuz my GTX280 card should output "way better than ps3" visuals. The 360 GPU also still suprises me every now and then.. and thats an older ATI GPU.

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']I've only played GoW 3 on a lowly SD TV, but the graphics weren't any more impressive than REmake/RE0 from last generation. Maybee I need to make some new friends that have HD TVs.[/QUOTE]

You fail at life.

And yah, GOW3 is the best looking game ever created so far imo. Art style, graphics, the MLAA which is basically 16xAA on a high end pc, etc. If we're stuck with graphics like this for the next 4-5 years, i'll sleep easy.

the graphics war between systems was over when uncharted 2 came out. now its just how much separation graphically can happen between systems.

[quote name='guyver2077']Is the PS3 gpu essentially a G70?

"NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang stated during Sony's pre-show press conference at E3 2005 that the RSX is twice as powerful as the GeForce 6800 Ultra"

Yet some games look good. That must mean that PC developers are lazy cuz my GTX280 card should output "way better than ps3" visuals. The 360 GPU also still suprises me every now and then.. and thats an older ATI GPU.[/QUOTE]

Consoles tend to have better performance for the same components because the software can be written specifically for the particular hardware set-up. This allows for optimization and the use of graphical techniques above those seen on the PC, which have to be written for multiple set-ups. This is part of the reason why emulation is usually a gen or so behind, because the multiple processors inside a console have to emulated by the PC. If you were able to run a game on PS3 hardware using a windows operating system, youd have a noticeable loss of graphical fiedlity.

Also, to those freaking out of GOWIII graphics, I think there is a Jaffe quote floating around that said the game only uses 50% of the PS3's power.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']

Also, to those freaking out of GOWIII graphics, I think there is a Jaffe quote floating around that said the game only uses 50% of the PS3's power.[/QUOTE]

Jaffe wasn't involved in this game, nor was he in involved in GoWII. Stig Asmussen, the director, said that.

What I don't understand is how Uncharted 2 used almost all of the PS3's power whereas this game only used 50%. Of course, they're completely different graphically but equally amazing. Uncharted 2 has detail, where as GoWIII has scale.

I can't wait to see Uncharted 3 and... whatever they end up doing with the GoWIII engine (maybe a GoW sidestory?).

It's not necessarily that the PS3 is more powerful than 360--it's probably more that Sony's graphics developers are the most talented among console developers.

And all you people talking about x% of power being used do not understand software development. You can write one line of code that takes 100% CPU usage. That's why getting the most out of a given console requires clever developers.

[quote name='Aleman']
And all you people talking about x% of power being used do not understand software development. You can write one line of code that takes 100% CPU usage. That's why getting the most out of a given console requires clever developers.[/QUOTE]

While thats true, it only invalidates cross developer comparisons. It becomes more relevant (albeit still a poor indicator being such a general measure) if you look at say, the next game produced by the GOWIII team. If they were clever enough to get these results using only 50% of the power, then it may follow that their next title using more than 50% of the power could look even better.

Graphics war was over when my eyes became crappy and I started seeing things blurry at at a distance. I can see fine, dont need glasses 100% of the time but my eyesight looses detail. I have my glasses but I hate wearing them and just to see what the fuss was about I put my glasses on to play FF13 and fuck does that game look good!!!

As far as god of war goes, i'll be playing that with the glasses on!! It arrives today :mrgreen:

[quote name='anubis20']Graphics war was over when my eyes became crappy and I started seeing things blurry at at a distance. I can see fine, dont need glasses 100% of the time but my eyesight looses detail. I have my glasses but I hate wearing them and just to see what the fuss was about I put my glasses on to play FF13 and fuck does that game look good!!!

As far as god of war goes, i'll be playing that with the glasses on!! It arrives today :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

Vanity is the quicksand of reason. Glad to see that you've come up out of the mire.

wait, there was a graphic war? Thought every one knew how great the ps3 was from the beginning. The programers just needed to improve and stop importing from xbox360.
Look at MGS4, 2 years old game and looks awesome.

There never was a graphics war, as there are great looking games on both consoles.

Now the fanboy war is a different issue.

[quote name='anubis20']Graphics war was over when my eyes became crappy and I started seeing things blurry at at a distance. I can see fine, dont need glasses 100% of the time but my eyesight looses detail. I have my glasses but I hate wearing them and just to see what the fuss was about I put my glasses on to play FF13 and fuck does that game look good!!!

As far as god of war goes, i'll be playing that with the glasses on!! It arrives today :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

Damn I'm in the same boat as you. I can still see 20/20 with glasses on, but I don't wear them all the time.

[quote name='Vinny']I can't wait to see Uncharted 3 and... whatever they end up doing with the GoWIII engine (maybe a GoW sidestory?).[/QUOTE]

Egyptian God of War! That's right I'm calling it!

That's the one thing that I liked about God of War is that it's about Greek Mythology (even though its not accurate). Doing a game where some Egyptian badass gets the short straw and goes off the edge killing Egyptian gods, now that would be great!

I was so friggen blown away by the intro of God of War. Definitely the best looking showcase I have seen. Trust me it is. Just the highfidelity, the amount going on at once and the pulling back of the camera makes it unrivaled.

Imagine if Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games (Killzone 2), and Santa Monica Studio all teamed up for one super ultra amazing visual orgasm of a game.

[quote name='defmonkey05']Egyptian God of War! That's right I'm calling it!

That's the one thing that I liked about God of War is that it's about Greek Mythology (even though its not accurate). Doing a game where some Egyptian badass gets the short straw and goes off the edge killing Egyptian gods, now that would be great![/QUOTE]

I thought something similar where Kratos is going up against the Egyptian Gods. That and a cross up game with Nariko...

I actually think they should make Uncharted 3 in Egypt or have something to do with Egyptian legend. It seems like a good place for a treasure hunter.

As for GoW, how about a prequel... like how Zeus overthrew Cronos and the gods vs the titans?

[quote name='Thomas96']I thought something similar where Kratos is going up against the Egyptian Gods. That and a cross up game with Nariko...[/QUOTE]

She's dead dude.

SD is perfectly fine. Along with that I think you knuckledraggers need to look at the gameplay first and not so much the pretty pictures. It kind of annoys me when I see boatloads of shallow people who base everything on how a game looks. The reason PS3 is doing better is because of the game library and reliability. The reason the Wii is doing the best is because of the library and some originality (mainly Nin's games and a small portion of third party titles). Although this is coming from a long time gamer, maybe the kids don't see it the same way unfortunately.

I don't really care which system is more powerful, but thinking back, I remember Gears of War being extremely impressive.

It probably has aged better in my memory than in actuality, but 360 can still pump out some great shit. I remember the first time I played the heavy rain level in Gears of War 1; I was blown away.

And to the guy above, lol? This thread was strictly about graphics, but even if it wasn't, you clearly aren't going to be very objective about the topic anyways; all one has to do is look at your sig and that much is obvious.

I just don't think we'll see this (PS3) level of graphics on an Xbox game until 720 hits. Looking at Crackdown, and the next set of Halo games... there's not that much there that can compare to anything on the PS3. However, the new Splinter Cell does look great... I'd like to see how well that finished product turns out.

[quote name='Vinny']I actually think they should make Uncharted 3 in Egypt or have something to do with Egyptian legend. It seems like a good place for a treasure hunter.

As for GoW, how about a prequel... like how Zeus overthrew Cronos and the gods vs the titans?

She's dead dude.
[/QUOTE]

Kratos can find her in Hades lair make love to her and then bring her back... where's your imagination! remember Hades cannot hold those with purpose....

[quote name='DPsx7']SD is perfectly fine. Along with that I think you knuckledraggers need to look at the gameplay first and not so much the pretty pictures. It kind of annoys me when I see boatloads of shallow people who base everything on how a game looks. The reason PS3 is doing better is because of the game library and reliability. The reason the Wii is doing the best is because of the library and some originality (mainly Nin's games and a small portion of third party titles). Although this is coming from a long time gamer, maybe the kids don't see it the same way unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Gameplay does not have to suffer for graphics... I've been playing games probably just as long as you... and you know I've always been about graphics. But that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate great gameplay.

[quote name='Vinny']What I don't understand is how Uncharted 2 used almost all of the PS3's power whereas this game only used 50%. Of course, they're completely different graphically but equally amazing. Uncharted 2 has detail, where as GoWIII has scale.[/QUOTE]

Why do people think that you can like, put this specific percentage on what amount of a specific console's "power" is used by each game.

[quote name='help1']There never was a graphics war, as there are great looking games on both consoles.

Now the fanboy war is a different issue.[/QUOTE]
This.

[quote name='kiribee']I'm still more impressed by killzone2 or uncharted2 graphically.[/QUOTE]

I was playing GoW3 last night and thought the exact same thing... not to say that GoW3 looks bad by any stretch.

[quote name='Thomas96']I just don't think we'll see this (PS3) level of graphics on an Xbox game until 720 hits. Looking at Crackdown, and the next set of Halo games... there's not that much there that can compare to anything on the PS3. However, the new Splinter Cell does look great... I'd like to see how well that finished product turns out.[/QUOTE]

Look at Gears of War 2. Way better looking that Crackdown or the Halo games. If you are going to use a 360 game as a benchmark, let it be Gears of War 2, please.

P.S. I'm not going to hate on the PS3 by any means, it is a graphics powerhouse when the development team knows what they are doing.

[quote name='DPsx7']SD is perfectly fine. Along with that I think you knuckledraggers need to look at the gameplay first and not so much the pretty pictures. It kind of annoys me when I see boatloads of shallow people who base everything on how a game looks. The reason PS3 is doing better is because of the game library and reliability. The reason the Wii is doing the best is because of the library and some originality (mainly Nin's games and a small portion of third party titles). Although this is coming from a long time gamer, maybe the kids don't see it the same way unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

I wish you'd stop acting like you're so much older and wiser than the rest of us. How old are you, really? I'm sure there are plenty of CAGs who are older than you. Age is no indication of maturity or wisdom anyway.

Yes, I know, video gaming is not a purely visual medium. Gameplay is king. Creativity is important. But you're a fool if you think that more powerful hardware has absolutely nothing to add to a gaming experience.

Strength of the hardware is kinda vague. I'm saying the emphasis on graphics is what needs to change. Certainly there are games today that couldn't be done previously and I'm not implying that games can't have both.

Basically I'm just as likely to play Megaman 10, Madworld, or Uncharted 2 because the graphics aren't so important that everything needs to be based on that alone. I still play the classics too. 1SD or HD, 8-bit, 16-bit, color or black and white (and red), these games shouldn't be ignored by the kids for superficial reasons.

[quote name='Thomas96']Gameplay does not have to suffer for graphics... I've been playing games probably just as long as you... and you know I've always been about graphics. But that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate great gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If you ask me what is better, graphics or gameplay, I say "both please." There's no excuse nowadays not to have both (unless you're actually going for the retro look).

[quote name='DPsx7']Strength of the hardware is kinda vague. I'm saying the emphasis on graphics is what needs to change. Certainly there are games today that couldn't be done previously and I'm not implying that games can't have both.

Basically I'm just as likely to play Megaman 10, Madworld, or Uncharted 2 because the graphics aren't so important that everything needs to be based on that alone. I still play the classics too. 1SD or HD, 8-bit, 16-bit, color or black and white (and red), these games shouldn't be ignored by the kids for superficial reasons.[/QUOTE]

I can certainly agree with the sentiment behind your statement that the emphasis on graphics needs to change. But isn't the fact that the Wii is the top selling console of this generation a consolation to you? Doesn't that show you that there isn't as much of an emphasis on graphics as you might think (this thread notwithstanding)?

That said, as much as I love Super Mario Galaxy, there's rarely a time that I fire it up and don't think to myself, "Gosh, I wish this game were in HD." While I don't exclude new non-HD games from my life (classics, of course, need not be mentioned), I certainly don't encourage their proliferation. Presentation is an important aspect of any art, and refined clarity and attention to detail are nothing to be shunned. You talk about the importance of playing the classics, but aren't they only now considered poorer in graphics? Didn't many of these classics possess cutting-edge graphics for their time? Just a thought.

[quote name='Tavohl']wait, there was a graphic war? Thought every one knew how great the ps3 was from the beginning. The programers just needed to improve and stop importing from xbox360.
Look at MGS4, 2 years old game and looks awesome.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I just played through it for the first time, and I was quite impressed by it.

Hopefully MGS:R turns out good, even though it wont be made to its fullest on the PS3, since it is multiplatform.

[quote name='Vinny']I actually think they should make Uncharted 3 in Egypt or have something to do with Egyptian legend. It seems like a good place for a treasure hunter.[/QUOTE]That is my thoughts exactly. They have done jungles & snow. Seems like sand would be their next project to tackle.

Surprise_No_One_Cares-1.jpg

*except for fanboys of course

[quote name='rapsodist']I can certainly agree with the sentiment behind your statement that the emphasis on graphics needs to change. But isn't the fact that the Wii is the top selling console of this generation a consolation to you? Doesn't that show you that there isn't as much of an emphasis on graphics as you might think (this thread notwithstanding)?

That said, as much as I love Super Mario Galaxy, there's rarely a time that I fire it up and don't think to myself, "Gosh, I wish this game were in HD." While I don't exclude new non-HD games from my life (classics, of course, need not be mentioned), I certainly don't encourage their proliferation. Presentation is an important aspect of any art, and refined clarity and attention to detail are nothing to be shunned. You talk about the importance of playing the classics, but aren't they only now considered poorer in graphics? Didn't many of these classics possess cutting-edge graphics for their time? Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad the Wii has. Many things that have happened this gen show what the market wants and not how some executive thinks it should be. HD isn't necessary. DLC is fine as long as the price is fair. Gamers want physical media over all digital. That gamers will accept sequels and remakes of classics in 2D instead of giving everything the 3D treatment. All good things.

I played the Galaxy and thought it was excellent. Not once did I care it was SD but then again I haven't seen a reason to have an HDTV anyway. I don't watch movies or sports and they're all sized to go in your damn yard instead of a room. Anyway, seeing a game in HD would change it how? Your answer should be not at all, which is why I say gameplay should always be the primary goal because people really won't care if the game is well made. However if you polish a turd you're still left with a turd. They can save money and time going with simpler graphics.

Fine detail only helps so much before it's just extra space taken up on the disc. Nobody cares if grass or hair moves, if players get dirty or sweat. Just gimmicks eating processor power. The classics haven't changed for me. I don't think they've gotten 'poorer' just because something newer released. Why would that matter?

[quote name='DPsx7']I'm glad the Wii has. Many things that have happened this gen show what the market wants and not how some executive thinks it should be. HD isn't necessary. DLC is fine as long as the price is fair. Gamers want physical media over all digital. That gamers will accept sequels and remakes of classics in 2D instead of giving everything the 3D treatment. All good things.

I played the Galaxy and thought it was excellent. Not once did I care it was SD but then again I haven't seen a reason to have an HDTV anyway. I don't watch movies or sports and they're all sized to go in your damn yard instead of a room. Anyway, seeing a game in HD would change it how? Your answer should be not at all, which is why I say gameplay should always be the primary goal because people really won't care if the game is well made. However if you polish a turd you're still left with a turd. They can save money and time going with simpler graphics.

Fine detail only helps so much before it's just extra space taken up on the disc. Nobody cares if grass or hair moves, if players get dirty or sweat. Just gimmicks eating processor power. The classics haven't changed for me. I don't think they've gotten 'poorer' just because something newer released. Why would that matter?[/QUOTE]

I think you misread what I wrote at the end of my previous post. I was saying that you speak against cutting-edge graphics as unnecessary, and you point to classic games as an example of gameplay over graphics. But many of those same classics were once renowned for their cutting-edge graphics. Gameplay ages much better than graphics, but that doesn't mean that graphics are unimportant even if they are less important. The very games you point to are the ones that I, too, would point to as examples of games that succeeded not only because they set the bar high in gameplay but in graphics as well.

For the record, I care if grass or hair moves, or if players get dirty or sweat. You can make an imagination vs. immersion argument in favor of the former, but I'll side with the latter as being more preferable in my video games. You keep asserting to me that HD doesn't enhance games; then I might ask you whether you actually think HD in itself worsens games.

[quote name='rapsodist'] You keep asserting to me that HD doesn't enhance games; then I might ask you whether you actually think HD in itself worsens games.[/QUOTE]

Please don't ask, don't encourage him. You can probably guess at the answer anyway.

Seriously, it's still all about the games and how much FUN they are to play, even though I have upgraded to an HD display now as well. I can definitely appreciate what everyone was saying before about the clarity and crispness on HD displays, but if a game isn't fun it could be very 'pretty' but still be a total turd.

There's too much focus on pretty this gen and not enough on fun gameplay.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Seriously, it's still all about the games and how much FUN they are to play, even though I have upgraded to an HD display now as well. I can definitely appreciate what everyone was saying before about the clarity and crispness on HD displays, but if a game isn't fun it could be very 'pretty' but still be a total turd.

There's too much focus on pretty this gen and not enough on fun gameplay.[/QUOTE]

No one really "buys" a game just because its pretty... gameplay will always come first, because you're really paying for the gameplay; once you having fun with a game, then you can enjoy the graphics. If you look at the games that were mentioned in the thread, they were all games that had good gameplay. Going from Atari 2600 to PS2... all I ever saw was a push for better graphics.

Haven't played Uncharted 2 yet, wasn't too crazy about the first one. GOW3 definately looks great, though sometimes it's a little too busy and pulled to far back. I found myself trying to find kratos on the screen at times in the begining of the game.

Heavy rain while at times looks great, doesnt look anything like the early renders and so far I haven't really found the game that interesting. The voice acting I've seen so far is wooden. Currently at the Psychs office. Hopefully it picks up cause right now its been pretty boring.

There are plenty of great looking games on the 360, and while people may shit on Halo 3's graphics, the lighting in that game was top notch and the frame rate was silky smooth. Gears also is another great looking title.

Both systems have their strengths and the PS3 is definately hitting its stride. I prefer getting my games on the 360 cause thats where I spend my time online with friends but having all three consoles lets me experience all the great games that come out regardless of the platform. Nintendo always has the core franchises, Mario, Zelda, Metroid.

Anyone else notice their PS3 fan going full out while playing GOW3, playing on a fat 40.

[quote name='whoknows']My Wii says different.

It's not about graphics, it's about INNOVATION and FUN!

The PS3 is neither of those.[/QUOTE]

But it's going to get Sports Champion! That's as innovative as it gets.

bread's done
Back