Is the PowerUp Rewards Pro membership at GS a good deal or rip off?

caffolote

CAGiversary!
Okay, so I keep getting bugged by Gamestop employees to get the PowerUp Pro membership. Only question is it worth it for $14.99?

I've been a member since they started (even before when they had EDGE) and to me, it's worth it. If you plan on spending $150 on used games, then you'll already have made up the $15 cost in savings. The points can be used towards some decent coupons to save money on used games and every now and then, they have some random promos/coupons. In 2012, I saved like $200 in total (their count).

Plus, Game Informer is a pretty decent magazine. I love their previews and retro sections.

FYI, this really isn't the right section for this, this belongs in the deal discussions section.

Yes, you not only get a magazine, but also 10% off used games and 10% extra on your trade-ins. It's one of the best values in the gaming industry, right up there with great used game prices and trade in values Gamestop offers. Don't forget they also accept your iDevices for trade in now!

Power to the players!

I've been a member for years and I make pretty good use out of it. If you trade alot, buy used games it's worth it.

If the DRM shenaningans rumors are true used games aren't going to be worth what they used to be. Trading or buying. Until more information is available I wouldn't be looking to lock into any long term contracts with Gamestop.

I have gotten 3 $10 off codes with points and saved about a $120 buying used so its great for me. But to build up points you really have to trade so not sure if that's a big thing for you.

I think it's worth it. I just renewed yesterday. Gamestop gets a lot of grief, but with the 10% off, used games can be a pretty good deal, plus all the buy 2 get 1 sales and trade-in deals. AND they have an awesome return policy for used games. My son just bought a used copy of Disgaea 3, tried it, decided he didn't like it, so he took it back and they take used games back for any reason within 5 days or some such period of time, and the reason can even be "I didn't like it". He got a copy of Starhawk instead and he's much happier with it. I don't think any other used game seller has anything like that return policy.

[quote name='whoknows']Yes, you not only get a magazine, but also 10% off used games and 10% extra on your trade-ins. It's one of the best values in the gaming industry, right up there with great used game prices

[/QUOTE]

....stopped reading there. :whistle2:|

The card is okay; it's best benefit imo is the buy 2 get 1 free coupon. Also the magazine is nice. You get a lot for $15. If you only shop there 2-3 times a year though it's not worth it.

I think it's mostly been covered, but some of this seems sarcastic. It seems to be worth it if you buy used games and trade-in used games. If you strictly buy new, you won't get nearly as much value out of the card. If you buy new games, the Best Buy Gamer's Unlocked gives you the magazine with coupons off specific new releases and the $20 pre-order promo if you're looking at any of those games coming up for the same price.

This seriously isn't brain surgery. If you buy used games at Gamestop and you spend >$150 on used games, it is worth it just in a pure dollar sense. It's simple math.

if you buy alot of used games from game stop, then yeah, it's worth it. you'll probley get $15 off of games the first couple of times you buy from there. and you get 12 issues of game informer, which are actualy pretty good. so again, if you buy alot of used games, then go for it. but if you only buy once in a great great while... then pass.

It's really simple. What do you expect to spend at Gamestop over the next year?

Someone else mentioned $150, which is a rough estimate of what it takes to "recoup" the cost. It also depends on how much you value the magazine, which is okay to read on the shitter. There is also a buy 1, get 1 free coupon for signing up.

In other words, if you were already planning to buy three used games priced at $30, it doesn't make you worse off by purchasing it.

At the end of the day, the way I look at it is this. Don't get the card to do something you wouldn't already be doing. However, if you were already planning to do something, see how purchasing the card would fit in.

That's the key with these things. Don't let them influence you.

bread's done
Back