Is the PS2 version of Mar. vs Cap. really that much better than the XBOX ver?

Yeahman

CAGiversary!
I'm in Gamerush today and they have a copy of Marvel vs Capcom (PO) on the shelf. I check it out and it's near perfect. A couple of easily fixable scratches is all. I pick it up thinking I've scored something great.

I come home though and discover a medicore 67 on Gamerankings, and even worse, IGN gave the PS2 version a 8.4, and the XBOX a 3.9. Plus on EBay the PS2 version is the one getting the higher bids.

The IGN-XBOX review gives no decent explanation for the dramatic score difference.

So my question is did I make a great find or not? I guess it will mainly depend on rather I like it or not, but is the XBOX version inferior to the PS2 somehow? Is the XBOX version still a rare find? Thanks for the feedback.

I think part of it depends on the controller, the standard xbox dpad just isnt nearlt as good for 2d fighting games.

actually the ps2 pad isnt bad at all for fighting games..its no arcade stick but its way better then xbox pad for fighting games..at least IMO

The X Box version truly isn't too bad, but it's difficult to play the game with the XBox controller. They jsut aren't made for fighters. With the PS2 controller you can at least get by, but with the X Box's, it is just atrocious.

I'd get the dreamcast version If I were you....that is, if you have a dreamcast.

wOOt!!! , first post after lurking for soooo many months !!! :D

[quote name='-GoodFella-']I'd get the dreamcast version If I were you....that is, if you have a dreamcast.

wOOt!!! , first post after lurking for soooo many months !!! :D[/quote]

Yep, Dreamcast rocks!!! and congrads GoodFella on many months of thread stalking.

imo the dreamcast controller is only a lil better than the xbox.

the xbox controller, while i dont find problamatic with non fighting xbox games. I always find myself doing stright up jumps while trying to jump foward in fighting games.

I personally have the dc version and went with the ps2 version.. just take the advice of others get a better controller. I have a little rinky dink pelican multi console stick controller and it plays ok...better than the xbox s controller. But it feels a lil like a nes advantage.

[quote name='Theenternal']imo the dreamcast controller is only a lil better than the xbox.

the xbox controller, while i dont find problamatic with non fighting xbox games. I always find myself doing stright up jumps while trying to jump foward in fighting games.

I personally have the dc version and went with the ps2 version.. just take the advice of others get a better controller. I have a little rinky dink pelican multi console stick controller and it plays ok...better than the xbox s controller. But it feels a lil like a nes advantage.[/quote]

blasphemy, the DC is the best system ever. Actually I like the DC version because it was cheaper. :wink:

ign's score of 3.9 or whatever for the xbox mvc2 is ridiculous.

just get the damn game. if the controller is an issue, you can get a controller adapter and use it with a ps2 controller, or even better, a joystick.

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='-GoodFella-']I'd get the dreamcast version If I were you....that is, if you have a dreamcast.

Yep, Dreamcast rocks!!! and congrads GoodFella on many months of thread stalking.[/quote]

Thanks a lot. I really like the CAG community and would also like to thank the people that post some of deals they find on the web and share them here with the rest of us. You guys don't know how much $$$ i've saved thanks to this place.

err, back to topic.....yeah, Dreamcast rocks. i love the system for all the great fighting games It has.

[quote name='-GoodFella-']I'd get the dreamcast version If I were you....that is, if you have a dreamcast.

Congrats -GoodFella- on the change from lurking to posting.

When they rate games they dont usually do it with buying a 3rd party controller adapter.

Anyway IGN is crap for explainations Gamespot has a better record if explaining differeances in multi-plat games.

Owning the xbox version myself, no real problems with the game, looks exactly like the dreamcast version and since the dreamcast controller was just as funky control isn't all that much worse at least for me. I suggest you buy it before that copy disappears at your Gamerush.

I guess I didn't explain well enough, but I did buy it when I saw it.

Anyways thanks for the feedback.

I just played it for a little while and it's awesome. I usually don't get into fighting games, but I love using Ryu, Spider-Man, and Wolverine all in one game. Solid graphics and fast play. Yeah the XBOX controller isn't the best but it's funa anyway.

My only problem is that the instuctions say you can use the triggers to switch to your other team members? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it only switches to the other guys when someone dies, or when they come in for tag team attacks. Is that what it means? Can you not switch out who you control?

Thanks

I've owned all three versions of the game and the XB verion is actually the best in terms of arcade translation. The character's size and resolution are superior to even the DC version and I have had no problems playing it on the XB controler.

The PS2 version has a lower resolution and the characters are much smaller than the DC and XB versions. The PS2 version is easily the worst of the bunch.

[quote name='Sartori']Neither is the PSX pad.[/quote]

WHA WHA WHAAAAAAAAA?

I can't play 2D figthers on anything OTHER than a PS2 pad (or my roommate's MVS ;) ). That's why I plan to get the PS2 version of all the newer fighters coming out (KOF 02/03, GG Isuka, etc.)

[quote name='Yeahman']I guess I didn't explain well enough, but I did buy it when I saw it.

Anyways thanks for the feedback.

I just played it for a little while and it's awesome. I usually don't get into fighting games, but I love using Ryu, Spider-Man, and Wolverine all in one game. Solid graphics and fast play. Yeah the XBOX controller isn't the best but it's funa anyway.

My only problem is that the instuctions say you can use the triggers to switch to your other team members? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it only switches to the other guys when someone dies, or when they come in for tag team attacks. Is that what it means? Can you not switch out who you control?

Thanks[/quote]

I assume you mean the multi-character supers when you say "tag team attacks", because you certainly can switch characters. Haven't played this game in ages, but IIRC, pressing LP+LK simultaneously tags in your first partner, and HP+HK tag your second.

When you press the triggers, it just allows your tag partners to come in as helpers, and what they do is totally up to what you chose them to do - Ryu comes in to throw a fireball if you choose "projectile" type, Ken a dragon punch if you choose "anti-air", Jill gives you a healing herb if you choose "healing", etc., etc.

Hope that helps.

bread's done
Back