Is the Saturn coming to the Virtual Console?

While not out of the question (if it can emulate the N64, it can certainly deal with the Saturn if Sega is coughing up their tech documents and such), size is still a concern. Yes, the compression is way better now so it could work, but we might need to see them enable SD card VC game storage for something like this to take off.

[quote name='"The Rumor Reporter"']...a reader by the name of Fei34 has sent in word that he heard from a fellow DigiPen employee who may have heard from a Nintendo employee that Sega Saturn games will indeed make their way onto the Wii’s Virtual Console.[/QUOTE]
So it goes:
Internet blog >> Internet dude (Fei34) >> DigiPen dude >> Nintendo dude >> Overheard coversation

My guess is we are five degrees removed from utter bullshit.

[quote name='dothog']So it goes:
Internet blog >> Internet dude (Fei34) >> DigiPen dude >> Nintendo dude >> Overheard coversation

My guess is we are five degrees removed from utter bullshit.[/quote]

Hah hah, exactly, but I did try to convey that outright, rather than bury it at the bottom of the story.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I don't know if you fellas have seen this story circulating around the net yet.

http://www.seganerds.com/2006/12/12/is-the-saturn-coming-to-the-virtual-console/[/QUOTE]

I seem to recall another thread. But I can address the post itself. If SEGA is willing to release the specs it would make life easier for Nitendo and SEGA to develop an emulator that the Wii could run. SEGA is already making the Genesis run on the VC.

Now, the size of the games becomes the problem. Saturn games were on CD. Perhaps they could be compressed, but its going to be tricky to deal with those games even if they are compressed.

I was going to say the Saturn is a No Go, but honestly, if the audio or FMV could be compressed with a newer codec, there might not be any huge problems other than their size would be larger than N64 games.

I dunno, the Classic Controller doesn't have 6 face buttons. They'd need to release another controller to properly accomodate it.

I would love to have the Saturn on the VC, it was the only Sega Console I never managed to pick up. Not to mention, Saturn emulation on PC is still spotty at best.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've never played NiGHTS, I'm waiting for a gaming expierence that does it justice.

I'm pretty sure someone said that the PS1 downloads for the PSP via the PS3 are around 300MB so it would be doable. I would think they would have to enable storage of VC games on SD cards as well as external HD's though for it to work. I would even buy an overpriced proprietary Nintendo device if it meant getting the Saturn on the Wii. It still seems a sketchy though. :)

[quote name='evilmax17']I dunno, the Classic Controller doesn't have 6 face buttons. They'd need to release another controller to properly accomodate it.[/QUOTE]

The CC has 8 analog buttons in A, B, X, Y, Z1, Z2, +(start), and -(select). It also has two trigger buttons (L and R) with GCN style "click" that could act as two more buttons. The buttons might not be on the face, but they would be usable.

[quote name='jkam']I'm pretty sure someone said that the PS1 downloads for the PSP via the PS3 are around 300MB so it would be doable.[/quote]

Would be a good point besides the fact that the Playstation 3 has at minimum 20gb of storage to accomodate a 300mb file. The Wii's 512mb onboard flash would be enough for ONE game if that is the smallest they can get them.

[quote name='captmurphy']Would be a good point besides the fact that the Playstation 3 has at minimum 20gb of storage to accomodate a 300mb file. The Wii's 512mb onboard flash would be enough for ONE game if that is the smallest they can get them.[/QUOTE]

Ugh yeah which I address in the second part of my post which I guess you didn't read.

[quote name='jkam']Ugh yeah which I address in the second part of my post which I guess you didn't read.[/quote]

that's the best "ugh" i've seen all day.

After seeing DQ9 head to the DS, this wouldn't surprise me in the least. Nevertheless, I would be extremely delighted with this development.

~Ahmed~

bread's done
Back