Is there a difference between Japanese and USA PS3?

PS3 Games: No
BR Movies: Yes, but BR movie regions are very different from DVD regions (I think Japan and US are in the same BR Region).

Japan and the US are in the same BR region.

If you get a Japanese unit, then you won't be able to play PS 1/2 games. If you don't care about that, go for it.

[quote name='oyabun']Japan and the US are in the same BR region.

If you get a Japanese unit, then you won't be able to play PS 1/2 games. If you don't care about that, go for it.[/quote]

Yes, but you will be able to play Japanese PS1/PS2 games. Beatmania IIDX Red on an HDTV? Drool....

Think about it, if you already own an American PS2, you are actually better off buying a Japanese PS3. That way you can play imports!!!

[quote name='thagoat']as of right now there is no region protection, but that could change in the future.[/quote]
I recall sony saying that since import is big, The PS3 will be region free to help promote that. Ofcourse they proably meant only software.

[quote name='Mad-B-Man']I recall sony saying that since import is big, The PS3 will be region free to help promote that. Ofcourse they proably meant only software.[/quote]

kinda funny.... wasnt the whole import thing the reason they went after lik-sang?

[quote name='sunbound']kinda funny.... wasnt the whole import thing the reason they went after lik-sang?[/quote]

Mainly on the systems, the software wasn't the problem.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Mainly on the systems, the software wasn't the problem.[/quote]

If this where the case, why wouldnt they make the whole console (for games) region free?

[quote name='sunbound']If this where the case, why wouldnt they make the whole console (for games) region free?[/quote]

It is for PS3 games. PS1 and PS2 games aren't but I don't know how that is handled. If that has something to do with the hardware or something to do with the previous approach I can't say.

The PS3 doesn't currently support PS1 backwards compatibility anyway so that is a moot point.

I think the real question here is, where can I import a Japanese PS3 from since they are selling for close to retail anyway? :D

[quote name='daphatty']The PS3 doesn't currently support PS1 backwards compatibility anyway so that is a moot point.

I think the real question here is, where can I import a Japanese PS3 from since they are selling for close to retail anyway? :D[/QUOTE]

I think the difficult part about this is finding some way to provide funding out there in Japan....and then having them shipped out here. I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know even how to begin.

Is it possible to hack the PS3 to make Ps1 and Ps2 games playable? There shurly must be a way. Also, the regular DVDs must be playable. I am sure some were, some hacker found out how to make all these things possible.

And about these restrictions, is the hardware diffrent between the US and Japan version, or are there just some restriction codes in the hardware that could possibly be modified?

I was asking because I have a Japan PS3. I received it tuesday, before launch day and I was wondering about this. Thanks -DP

Is it possible to hack the PS3 to make Ps1 and Ps2 games playable? There shurly must be a way. Also, the regular DVDs must be playable. I am sure some were, some hacker found out how to make all these things possible.

And about these restrictions, is the hardware diffrent between the US and Japan version, or are there just some restriction codes in the hardware that could possibly be modified?

I was asking because I have a Japan PS3. I received it tuesday, before launch day and I was wondering about this. Thanks -DP

[quote name='DP26UMW']Is it possible to hack the PS3 to make Ps1 and Ps2 games playable? There shurly must be a way. Also, the regular DVDs must be playable. I am sure some were, some hacker found out how to make all these things possible.

I was asking because I have a Japan PS3. I received it tuesday, before launch day and I was wondering about this. Thanks -DP[/QUOTE]
The hackers have done a lot of things with X360, but they havent figure out how to make it region free.

bread's done
Back