Is there a point to preordering or is it all hype?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Excluding consoles, I've NEVER gone into a game store on day one of release and been unable to buy without a preorder. Is there a point to reserving your copy of the game or is it all just marketing hype to make you feel like you will be left out in the cold on release day?

no i thing is all hype... i think the reason why people pre-order is because they are just really excited to play the game and somehow that gets the alittle closer to getting it.

[quote name='javeryh']Excluding consoles, I've NEVER gone into a game store on day one of release and been unable to buy without a preorder. Is there a point to reserving your copy of the game or is it all just marketing hype to make you feel like you will be left out in the cold on release day?[/QUOTE]

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Collector's Edition was pretty hard to find if you didn't reserve it. There have been a few other cases where it was just a lot easier to pre-order it. Most of the time it is just hype though.

The main advantage to pre-ordering for me is that I have plenty of GameRushes nearby so I get all the new releases for $29.99 with two trades. The little bonuses you get for pre-ordering are sometimes nice too.

Mostly I believe its for company prestige with in a region.

Most stores give incentives to managers and employees for having the most pre-orders.

On the consumer side its pointless.

Your guarenteed a copy on the first day, which can matter as some stores will sell out fast. When dealing with games that have small print runs (Romance of the three kingdoms x, possibly Stella Deus) it becomes doubly important.

With big name releases, I use it to put $5-10 a month on it so I won't have to pay a full $50 when it comes out.

Actually, for the smaller publishers pre-orders can make or break a title. Many of the smaller publishers don't receive good distribution -- their titles don't make it into Target, BestBuy, Walmart, etc. This tends to be the fault of the distributor who does not have strong relations with the larger retailers, and poor advanced marketing of the game.

For these smaller publishers, often pre-orders are the only way they can get any quantities into the boutique channels (EB, GameStop, etc.), so the stores will buy enough to cover pre-orders and maybe a couple of extra per store. If these extras copies don't sell within a specific amount of time, the store will not re-order any and the title will die a quick death. If the titles sell quickly and demand seems to be high, then a re-order to the distributor will be made, and this encourages the distributor to try and sell more because the title is turning out to be popular.

If the distributor does not receive a certain number of re-orders in a specific time frame, the title then gets dumped to wholesale, and starts turning up in the discount bin, or as "value buys" or "special buys" at some retialers like Circuit City and CompUSA who can push the title as a cheap impulse purchase.

I used to always preorder stuff I wanted, but now I realize that its really only worth it if they are giving away some type of bonus for preordergin something that you already want. Lately I've had the patience to wait for games to get cheap, so I haven't bought anything for full price or even within 2 months of coming out. I guess if there is one store that you like to go too and plan on getting your game from you might as well preorder so that you know it will be there when you want it.

I've only preordered NCAA Football 2005. It was online, and it was because they gave free overnight shipping. I didn't preorder either of the last two GTA's and went into Best Buy the day of release and got them both from a huge pile of them. It's hype.

for that matter, why the heck would one buy a limited edition? Because it has some "making of" dvd that you will watch once, or maybe some artwork that you look at once and then put away forever? All that matters is the game, not that extra crap.

[quote name='accameron']for that matter, why the heck would one buy a limited edition? Because it has some "making of" dvd that you will watch once, or maybe some artwork that you look at once and then put away forever? All that matters is the game, not that extra crap.[/QUOTE]

If everyone felt that way, there wouldn't be limited editions. I like the box art and the extras on the dvd's.

I have been told by more than one employee at more than one chain that their stores will not be sent as many (or any at times) of a new game on day one unless they secure pre-orders.

So, your pre-order is more about helping the store out than it is about securing your copy. I also believe it to be hype on that side. How hard is it for a company to print extra copies of a game? And if the game flies off the shelf that fast, I would expect they will have more within the week.

Preordering big name titles is pretty pointless, but preordering the less known ones may be the only way to get them. My local GameStop only got 3 copies of Digital Devil Saga, all 3 for preorders. If I hadn't preordered I would've been SOL.

Sometimes, different stores will offer special used game trade-in deals toward a specific pre-order title, and I've found that to be my biggest incentive to pick up software at launch. Next in line would probably be special pre-order bonus items like the Ocarina Master Quest disc, but it has to be a pretty sweet bonus item to warrant a $50 purchase at launch. That's a lot of cash for a new game.

I preorder rarely, but when I do, it's for coveinance. For instance, the Phantasy Star remakes have been delayed time and again, so I preordered it so they just would call me when it is in stock - that way I do not have to pay attention to release date changes or when stores have copies available.

I do preorder consoles, though. It makes life much easier.

unless u are getting some cool extras for preordering....(like a free copy of shadow hearts!!). then its pretty pointless to preorder

I'll pre-order stuff if there's a really good deal on price.
The only games that I've ever pre-ordered were:

-- Halo 2 (ce) and I got on the MTV.com bandwagon and got it for $38 shipped - and ended up getting 90day financing to-boot (they never charged me till late Jan early Feb).

-- Fable - got the bonus disk and got a trade in deal on it from EB

-- Phantom Dust - Preorder $20 coupon...that rocked.

So my main factor is price - sure extra content or added characters (such as Jade Empire) are nice, but I'll wait for a good price before I jump on it.

It's ALL hype. Here's why:

- In some cases if you pre-order it still doesn't not guarentee you a copy. Example, I've preordered games, and the srores didn't get enough copies to cover all the orders. You do get a pick from the next shipment, but by that time, I could have found the game elsewhere. This happened with Mario Sunshine, Ghost Recon 2, and Sly Cooper 2 for me.

- Preorder a small title, and it never comes in. Small titles (Amazing Island) where some stores get ONE copy may not come into a smaller store.

- Big Games. Some games sell hundreds of thousands of copies. Companies spend millions marketing and creating games. Why? So you'll buy it. Most big games are really easy to find. They are at every major retailer. Wait a few day, read the reviews. It won't kill ya, and it might save you a few bucks.

- Once you put money down, you're more likely to pick-up the game. People are lazy. Even if a game doesn't review well, people will think, "Aw, I have $20 bucks down on it, why not try it out? It's only $30 out of my pocket". People don't realize they are spending $50 for a game. (20+30)

- EB holds for 48 hours. If you work or go to school (or have a LIFE) you may not be able to get the title in that time span anyway. Preordered meaning going to the store at least twice. The more your in the store, the more likely you'll buy something else. It's called the 'Greun Transfer". Marketers like to get you to spend as much time as possible in the store.

( http://www.rushkoff.com/2002/12/cbs-script.php/ ) If you want to read more about what they do

There are exceptions. Companies are aware of the 'limited supply builds demand' rule. That's why we are seeing limited editions. It creates hype. Marketers aren't dumb.

For this current generation, pre-orders doesn't seem to make much sense, since there always seems to be an abundance of copies when a game is released (Jade Empire LE comes to mind)... during the 16-bit (SNES, Genesis) and even the 32/64-bit era (N64, PSone), sometimes preordering was the only way to get a game you really wanted right away.

As for charging an extra $5 or $10 for pre-ordering collector's edition... I don't see what the big fuss is about and why people are so bitter about it. The publishers aren't forcing you to buy that version, as you can still buy the non-collector's edition. I at least like having the option. For years, Japan was getting all these neat merchandise and throw-ins with the games and only in the past couple years has the U.S. caught up somewhat.

There are benefits to pre-ordering. Remember the Zelda Wind Waker bonus? Nintendo gave away free copies of their N64 Zeldas (OOT and Master Quest). That was a great incentive to pre-order and I loved having the chance to play those games again (or in the case of Master Quest, for the first time).

For the record, I only pre-order in slam-dunk cases - where I know I will like the game and the freebies are enticing (like Zelda).

I know that in the comics world, pre-ordering is considered really important in order to make sure that small publisher's books (and small books from big publishers) get ordered. It helps barely profitable comics shops (e.g. all of them) forecast their revenue better, etc. Here's an essay by Warren Ellis:

[quote name='"WARREN ELLIS (http://www.savantmag.com/pdf/29.pdf0"']
ACTION: ON PRE-ORDERING
BY WARREN ELLIS
Pre-ordering is the act of ordering your comics at the same time as they are
solicited for comics stores to order, two months or so before publication.
The Warren Ellis Forum (http://www.delphi.com/ellis)advocates that comics
enthusiasts and evangelists who attend their local comics store at once a month
should pre-order their comics.
The main pre-order tool is Previews, a 400-page catalogue released monthly by
Diamond Distributors for the ordering of comics and other merchandises. Most
comics stores will either give or sell you a copy of Previews, or let you read a copy
at the counter. You’ll either get a form to fill out, or be asked to note down what
you want on a piece of paper. Ask your store how they prefer to receive preorders.
If they won’t accept pre-orders — and if you routinely cannot find what
you want on their shelves — then find a store that will. Or order by mail or via
the web. The Forum’s preferred location service is http://www.the-masterlist.
com.
If you order your books from Previews- that is, order them based on the information
therein, two months before their publication, just like the retailer - you are
accomplishing many things.
You are showing the retailer that there is a committed audience for the work.
You’re offering the retailer a guaranteed sale.
If enough people at your store pre-order a book in this manner, the retailer will
likely order an extra couple on top to put on the shelf for general sales. Which
means you’re creating the opportunity for other people to discover the work.
If it’s just you, then chances are good that the retailer will take a look at the thing
themselves when it arrives. You’ve placed the work within the retailer’s awareness.
This is an important achievement. I don’t sell books because I’m the greatest
writer since Dickens. I sell books because the majority of comics retailers
know my name.
It obtains a firm sale for creators of independent and marginal comics. This is
crucial. Ordering comics is guesswork from both ends. Neither the retailer nor
the creator actually know how a book will sell. But you’ve just given a deserving
creator one guaranteed sale. And one will lead to another. And therefore you’re
building the way towards that creator DEFINITELY being able to continue
working.
9 9
(And if you want to be an activist for the good stuff that slips through the
cracks, then you’ll pre-order and you’ll do something else. You’ll print off an
online ad or a virtual ashcan or a short webcomic and take it to the store and put
it in front of your retailer with your copy of Previews and say “I want to order
this.” Want to know where to find such things? Watch the Forum.)
Okay: pre-ordering is a pain in the arse. No, it shouldn’t be necessary. Yes, it
validates the behaviour of what a retailer friend of mine calls “catalogue shops”
— stores that just order Spider-Man for the racks and make their customers preorder
from Previews if they want any other damn thing. Yes, in a perfect world, we
should be able to walk into any comics store and get what we want off the
shelves. But you may have noticed that this isn’t a perfect world. And when you
tell me that you won’t pre-order because what you want should be on the racks
— then you’re guaranteeing a continuation of that situation. And helping us all
slip further down the spiral. Should-be’s are killing us.
If you want to make comics better, then you need to ensure the good stuff
survives, as a foundation for what is to come. It starts here - with you.[/quote]

That's obviously less true in the videogame market, but to the extent that it is true for you and the places you prefer to buy videogames, it's worth considering.

Smaller companies like Atlus only shipped copies base on preoders. If you trying looking for Disgaea the week it came out it was almost impossible to find.

Everything said here is true. If you work in a game store (EB or Gamestop mainly) You know that upper management makes a big deal out of pushing preorders. Stores are ranked on them, and it is also a factor in determining initial stock.

There are a few times when preordering is useful

1. When it's an obscure game (something like a Phantom Dust, Spikeout, etc) because stores will only get a couple copies of these and might sell out quickly

2. When it's a "Special" Edition of a game. This depends on a game, sometimes, there are billions of special editions to go around (Halo 2, JE, Mechassault 2) Sometimes the special edition sells out quickly and becomes hard to find (World of Warcraft) Generally, PC special editions are really more limited than console ones.

3. When they throw in a free goodie with the preorder.

It certainly doesn't HURT to preorder a game, if you're going to pick it up at that store anyway, but keep in mind the only person you're really helping is the store. I mean there are a couple of advantages, in that most games come to GS and EB a couple days prior to everyone else, so that can certainly be a benefit, plus it doesn't hurt to pay off a game as you go. But don't listen to the people at the store that tell you "You won't get it unless you preorder"

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']The only time in my life I have ever pre-ordered was for Zelda: The Wind Waker, only because it came with (for me) a great bonus.[/QUOTE]

Why would Wind Waker come with a butter churn? :whistle2:s

I only preorder games if they have a bonus I really, really want... So I preordered Xenosaga 2... after I got the DVD I cancelled and got it for $30 at overstock. :bouncy:

Oh... and Guildwars. It comes with a cool bow from EB and I want to play it asap.:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Other than that, I have so many games I get at 5-20.... Why would I bother paying 50 when they're 15 by the time I get to them?

[quote name='accameron']for that matter, why the heck would one buy a limited edition? Because it has some "making of" dvd that you will watch once, or maybe some artwork that you look at once and then put away forever? All that matters is the game, not that extra crap.[/QUOTE]

I like that extra "crap".

The only games I have pre-ordered (to my recollection) is Halo 2 and Jade Empire LE. I haven't opened Jade yet but I really liked watching the "making of" DVD for Halo 2. Just seeing the work the put in the game made me appreciate it even more. Soundtracks and art is great too. I was going to pre-order Prince of Persia: Warrior Within just because of the art book.

Preordered the following, and reasons to why:

Halo 2 CE - thought it wasn't going to be as prolific as it was, plus found it for a cheap enough price without doing in any trades for it
Fable & SW:Battlefront - preording both + guides netted $50 in gift voucher, so one of them ended up being "free"
Mortal Kombat: Deception CE - netted Midway Arcade Treasures 2 for $10, plus had free overnight shipping
DOOM 3 CE - wanted the CE, and EB was doing the 5 games/$50 trade credit towards it
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory CE - figured this one might be limited after all
Phantom Dust - $20 game w/$20 gift voucher
Halo 2 Expansion Pack - goes without saying

Those have been my only preorders, and for the most part, I don't preorder games. Those ones above were my exceptions.

[quote name='ZForce']Everything said here is true. If you work in a game store (EB or Gamestop mainly) You know that upper management makes a big deal out of pushing preorders. Stores are ranked on them, and it is also a factor in determining initial stock.

There are a few times when preordering is useful

1. When it's an obscure game (something like a Phantom Dust, Spikeout, etc) because stores will only get a couple copies of these and might sell out quickly

2. When it's a "Special" Edition of a game. This depends on a game, sometimes, there are billions of special editions to go around (Halo 2, JE, Mechassault 2) Sometimes the special edition sells out quickly and becomes hard to find (World of Warcraft) Generally, PC special editions are really more limited than console ones.

3. When they throw in a free goodie with the preorder.

It certainly doesn't HURT to preorder a game, if you're going to pick it up at that store anyway, but keep in mind the only person you're really helping is the store. I mean there are a couple of advantages, in that most games come to GS and EB a couple days prior to everyone else, so that can certainly be a benefit, plus it doesn't hurt to pay off a game as you go. But don't listen to the people at the store that tell you "You won't get it unless you preorder"[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the only reason why I ever preorder anything is because I feel sorry for a store's employees, hehe. Like whenever I walk into a game store, they're always like "oh, no, the manager said we have to get so many preorders this weekend for this store or he's not gonna let me work that much anymore" or something around those lines. So I'll throw $5 down on a random game and then transfer that $5 over to a game I'm actually buying next time I'm in.

I think a lot of people forget it has to do with location. If you live in NYC, Boston, LA, etc. you likely don't need to preorder because their are lots of games stores with lots of customers. But living in a place where's there's only 3 real game stores within an hour's drive any direction (one of which is 30 mi away) preordering becomes much mor relevant. I can't roll into Wal-Mart and find Digital Devil Saga, Obscure, etc. and there aren't that many customers for the game stores so they only order enough to cover any preorders + maybe one more for lesser titles. So for me to actually get a copy of that lesser known game near release preordering is a logical choice.

I pre-ordered Tekken 5 for the art book and I pre-ordered Psychonauts for the t-shirt. I'm gonna return psychonauts though... I also got KOF: MA even after it was released because it came with Terry's hat :)

I only pre-order at GameRush since they usually have deals.....thus, I get it cheaper than normal.

I think I pre-ordered a few games at like EBgames.com because I had a free shipping code and I knew I was going to buy it anyways....so, it's not really a pre-order, just a laziness order

I think the only thing I've ever pre-ordered is Phantom Dust. And that's because I got it free after GS's $20 gift voucher deal.

Haven't paid full price for a game since the N64 days, so I really have no interest in pre-ordering.

When I pre-order, getting the game right away is incidental...just a perk. My recent pre-orders have been only to take advantage of "trade 5 for $50" deals or Phantom Dust's $20 voucher deal, where I buy the trade-in fodder for

[quote name='shipwreck']Splinter Cell
The main advantage to pre-ordering for me is that I have plenty of GameRushes nearby so I get all the new releases for $29.99 with two trades. The little bonuses you get for pre-ordering are sometimes nice too.[/QUOTE]

Bingo! I had never preordered anything in my life, but now that I discovered Gamerush I have about 12 games on preorder that come out between May and November. It's a crime NOT to preorder with the trade in prices GR gives you + the $5 bonus per title + the $29.99 preorder special. Plus, at a place like GR, they do sometimes only get a few of a certain title in (especially with Gamecube) so it is nice to be guaranteed a copy. So even without their $29.99 deal I may have preordered a few titles there to be sure I could get them with my trade credit, instead of shelling out cash to some other store (though I would have waited until closer to release to do so!).

I have yet to get a preorder bonus though - I know that for most of the games I've preordered it is way too early for there even to be a bonus (damn, why couldn't that Zelda April Fool's preorder bonus have been real? :D). Do you usually get the bonuses when you pick up the game or at some earlier time? I'm just wondering if I have to keep an eye out for when the bonuses come out for the games I've already preordered and then go and ask my GR if I can get them (since they never call about anything coming in).

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I think a lot of people forget it has to do with location. If you live in NYC, Boston, LA, etc. you likely don't need to preorder because their are lots of games stores with lots of customers. But living in a place where's there's only 3 real game stores within an hour's drive any direction (one of which is 30 mi away) preordering becomes much mor relevant. I can't roll into Wal-Mart and find Digital Devil Saga, Obscure, etc. and there aren't that many customers for the game stores so they only order enough to cover any preorders + maybe one more for lesser titles. So for me to actually get a copy of that lesser known game near release preordering is a logical choice.[/QUOTE]

I can usually wait until it hits the pawn shop for me (someone traded in RE4 to them for < 10 dollars i paid for it.) but i mean.. if you don't have the major game stores (EB, GS) just buy them online.. thats what i do.. but i haven't purchased too many games that came out on release day in a long time.

I agree, there is no point to pre-ordering the big titles like Doom 3, Madden, etc.

Stuff that gets lower production runs or isn't as in demand is worth pre-ordering, because sometimes It's the only way stores will get more than 1-2 copies of the game. The only game I have on pre-order right now is Metal Slug 4&5 on xbox, cause we won't get many copies of that..

Also there's pre-order bonus items, those are awesome.

[quote name='rallen']It's ALL hype. Here's why:

- In some cases if you pre-order it still doesn't not guarentee you a copy. Example, I've preordered games, and the srores didn't get enough copies to cover all the orders. You do get a pick from the next shipment, but by that time, I could have found the game elsewhere. This happened with Mario Sunshine, Ghost Recon 2, and Sly Cooper 2 for me.

- Preorder a small title, and it never comes in. Small titles (Amazing Island) where some stores get ONE copy may not come into a smaller store.

- Big Games. Some games sell hundreds of thousands of copies. Companies spend millions marketing and creating games. Why? So you'll buy it. Most big games are really easy to find. They are at every major retailer. Wait a few day, read the reviews. It won't kill ya, and it might save you a few bucks.

- Once you put money down, you're more likely to pick-up the game. People are lazy. Even if a game doesn't review well, people will think, "Aw, I have $20 bucks down on it, why not try it out? It's only $30 out of my pocket". People don't realize they are spending $50 for a game. (20+30)

- EB holds for 48 hours. If you work or go to school (or have a LIFE) you may not be able to get the title in that time span anyway. Preordered meaning going to the store at least twice. The more your in the store, the more likely you'll buy something else. It's called the 'Greun Transfer". Marketers like to get you to spend as much time as possible in the store.

( http://www.rushkoff.com/2002/12/cbs-script.php/ ) If you want to read more about what they do

There are exceptions. Companies are aware of the 'limited supply builds demand' rule. That's why we are seeing limited editions. It creates hype. Marketers aren't dumb.[/QUOTE]

Some of your points are valid, but at the store I work at (GameCrazy) we aren't a proficable store, at least our local store. We can't afford to bring in 10 copies of Digital Devil Saga or Metal Slug, unless 10 people pre-order it, and then we know we need that many cause that many people want it. It's really for everyone's benefit. You are guaranteed the game, The store avoids losing money on a game that won't sell if there's no pre-orders, and you also get pre-order bonuses. We hold pre-orders for a week, too, unlike EB. and you can always transfer the credit if you don't want it. Besides, nobody's forcing you to pre-order.

[quote name='shipwreck']Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Collector's Edition was pretty hard to find if you didn't reserve it. There have been a few other cases where it was just a lot easier to pre-order it. Most of the time it is just hype though.QUOTE]

I only pre-order the limited edition titles. For some odd reason, I did not pre-order Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Collector's for the XBox. I looked everywhere after launch for this game and could not find it. I got lucky 2 days ago when EB Games Online had 3 copies in stock. I snagged a copy. An hour later, they were gone. I was lucky.

For the most part, pre-ordering games does nothing but allow the reseller to earn interest on your money until the game launches. Sometimes, it is necessary to get the rare titles, like with Splinter Cell.

I like to pre-order when the freebies are good, or its a game I know I will want at release. I preordered Ocarina of Time for the SE gold cart, Windwaker for the bonus, Megaman Anniversary for the T-shirt, and Harvest Moon for the cow. Also plunked down early for Alien Hominid because it was a small indie producer, and I didn't think it would be readily available. All were titles I was going to buy anyways, but the preorder goodies were an incentive to buy them sooner. Good for me, and good for the company. Win-win. I've been glad every time I've pre-ordered a game so far.

[quote name='rallen']
- Big Games. Some games sell hundreds of thousands of copies. Companies spend millions marketing and creating games. Why? So you'll buy it. Most big games are really easy to find. They are at every major retailer. Wait a few day, read the reviews. It won't kill ya, and it might save you a few bucks.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly why I'm glad I didn't preorder Wrestlemania 21. There was a ton of hype about how its supposed to be the best wrestling game to ever be released but now that its out, well the 60% at gamerankings makes me realize I'm glad I didn't buy it blindly.

I've only preordered both N64 Zeldas for the shiny gold, Lunar for the punching puppet, and Wind Waker for the master quest.

[quote name='crazytalkx']I've only preordered both N64 Zeldas for the shiny gold, Lunar for the punching puppet, and Wind Waker for the master quest.[/QUOTE]

I put the 5 or 10 whatever it was for the reserve of windwaker for the disc, so i could get the bounus disc. didnt even own a GC at the time. never went back to pay the rest for the game. Waited for a price drop. picked it up the non players choice for 15 at CC ;).

Only when you get very good bonus items like the suikoden 4 artbook, otherwise no. Even with smaller titles like Disgaea and Nocturne I've never had a problem finding them instore.

bread's done
Back