Is there a way to create fake money orders?

GameDude

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just got a money order today. The other day my dad told me to call the issuing bank and make sure it's legit. It's a USPS money order, so how would I check it? Thanks!

Never ship an item until you have cash in hand--cashed money orders and cashed checks that have cleared - though I prefer to avoid checks.

I just dealt with a fraudulaent monwy order. When someone pays you via money order or check, or even now, the american express traveler's checks, deposit in you account, forget the money is there until you see it clear. Usually banks have a turn around time on verifying these things of about a week. might depend on location though. The one I had turned out to be a fake....for 5000.00 bucks.

[quote name='vinniev'] The one I had turned out to be a fake....for 5000.00 bucks.[/quote]

Damn 5 Gs... It's getting so you can't trust anyone these days..

[quote name='vinniev']I just dealt with a fraudulaent monwy order. When someone pays you via money order or check, or even now, the american express traveler's checks, deposit in you account, forget the money is there until you see it clear. Usually banks have a turn around time on verifying these things of about a week. might depend on location though. The one I had turned out to be a fake....for 5000.00 bucks.[/quote]

Did you get the person prosecuted? I assume that is a felony.

It has the watermark of Franklin and the line with USPS on it. Just to make sure, though, I have the serial number. Is there a way to call someone and verify it?

oh, and vinnie, what did you do about the fraud? Did you get cheated out of $5000 or what?

After hearing many horror stories about stuff like this in the past I have determined that PAYPAL really is the best way to go when taking part in an online transaction. I accept no other form of payment.

Such a misleading title...I was all ready to come in and bitch you out for doing illegal things. Take away my fun, why don't you... :?

That said, good luck with your money order. Hope that you didn't get screwed over.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Such a misleading title...I was all ready to come in and bitch you out for doing illegal things. Take away my fun, why don't you... :? [/quote]

Same here. I was so ready to yell "LOCKINATED!!"

[quote name='Jive3D']After hearing many horror stories about stuff like this in the past I have determined that PAYPAL really is the best way to go when taking part in an online transaction. I accept no other form of payment.[/quote]

Yeah, but paypal takes a cut or something. I want 100% of my asking price.

You ask the impossible. If you ever make it happen I will give you 5% for the knowledge. :)

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='Jive3D']After hearing many horror stories about stuff like this in the past I have determined that PAYPAL really is the best way to go when taking part in an online transaction. I accept no other form of payment.[/quote]

Yeah, but paypal takes a cut or something. I want 100% of my asking price.[/quote]

Yeah I've heard about this. There's a scam going around where people will give you money orders for a much higher amount than what it was set at then they'll ask you to wire transfer the remaining funds overseas.

Example: Buyer buys a motorcycle for $5000. He then sends a check for $15,000 and tells you to cash it and wire transfer the remaining $10,000 to a bank or somewhere overseas to pay for some sort of extra costs or something.

In about a week or 2 the bank will contact you telling you that the money order was fake and so you gotta pay back that $5000 and you'll never get back that $10,000 either. You'll prolly get jail time as well. It's horrible ):

Does anyone remember what this scam was called?

Update: I deposited the check over 2 weeks ago and the bank hasn't contacted me. So, I guess everything went great! Thanks for the help. :)

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Such a misleading title...I was all ready to come in and bitch you out for doing illegal things. Take away my fun, why don't you... :?

That said, good luck with your money order. Hope that you didn't get screwed over.[/quote]

ditto, i was in bitch mode, until i saw op post... kinda dissapointed but kudos to you all, very healthy.

[quote name='moo']Yeah I've heard about this. There's a scam going around where people will give you money orders for a much higher amount than what it was set at then they'll ask you to wire transfer the remaining funds overseas.

Example: Buyer buys a motorcycle for $5000. He then sends a check for $15,000 and tells you to cash it and wire transfer the remaining $10,000 to a bank or somewhere overseas to pay for some sort of extra costs or something.

In about a week or 2 the bank will contact you telling you that the money order was fake and so you gotta pay back that $5000 and you'll never get back that $10,000 either. You'll prolly get jail time as well. It's horrible ):

Does anyone remember what this scam was called?[/quote]

the nygerian scam, or the nubian scam, something like that. some woman just got caught last month doing this, she was suppose to buy computers for some guy, and sent it over with wire. then she got caught.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I've never even SEEN a money order. *crys*[/quote]

Don't worry, you're not missing much. :wink:

I, too, was misled by this title. I was thinking "Who would ask on a video game msg board how to forge MO's?" lol glad everything worked out though!

[quote name='rimsforsale'][quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Such a misleading title...I was all ready to come in and bitch you out for doing illegal things. Take away my fun, why don't you... :?

That said, good luck with your money order. Hope that you didn't get screwed over.[/quote]

ditto, i was in bitch mode, until i saw op post... kinda dissapointed but kudos to you all, very healthy.[/quote]

what does OP mean? I see it on fatwallet a lot too.

[quote name='Jive3D']After hearing many horror stories about stuff like this in the past I have determined that PAYPAL really is the best way to go when taking part in an online transaction. I accept no other form of payment.[/quote]

Paypal has its problems too

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

There are several other sites out there dedicated to how easy it is for a seller to get screwed.

bread's done
Back