Is there any reason to buy game guides?

Juub

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
When pretty much all the information and more can be found on Google within 5 seconds? I see all these game guides at 10-20$ but why would anyone buy them? Do they contain some additional content like posters, maps or other bonuses? Otherwise I see absolutely no reason to get them. You can find thorough guides on IGN, Gamespot, Gamefaqs, Gamesradar, Gamepressure and many, many more. What's the incentive for buying a game guide?

I usually get guides for the artwork. For games I thoroughly enjoy it's nice to have something that illustrates the game that I can comb through.

They look cool on a shelf?

Seriously though, while I use Game FAQs, it can't come close to an illustrated hard copy guide for a lot of games. I have never seen a web guide come close to the production quality of a printed game guide.

I have a tablet and will load up a trophy/achievement guide on it while playing sometimes, but even then, having to watch 100's of you tube videos to find the collectibles can be a PITA.

[quote name='elessar123']To collect. You can use them by the TV more easily than Gamefaqs. You can read them on the throne.[/QUOTE]

Tablets are easier to use by the tv than having to flip through pages. Also the search is easier to use.

[quote name='waldo21212']I have never seen a web guide come close to the production quality of a printed game guide.[/QUOTE]
Zelda Dungeon has some of the highest quality walkthroughs I've ever seen online (all for Zelda games, of course), but admittedly, this level of presentation is rare.

I've always found it amusing how this comment comes up occasionally, and usually it involves someone telling those of us who collect guides about sites like GameFAQs as if we weren't aware of them. :p

They are actually more useful now than ever! GameFAQs has really gone downhill the past few years. Very few FAQs actually being written. Seems like more and more people seem to think making a crappy YouTube video of showing something in a game is "better" when it is not. I can search a guide book (and FAQ) far quicker for what I need than having to skim through poorly done video.

[quote name='Nogib']GameFAQs has really gone downhill the past few years.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. I've been there forever and the place is a cesspool now.

I echo the sentiments of buying for art and collector purposes. I also just love books, and given the option will opt for one over my tablet, PC or otherwise. Granted, there have been very few guides in recent memory that I've been compelled to pick up. Most of my favorites are from the 90s.

[quote name='musha666']Tablets are easier to use by the tv than having to flip through pages. Also the search is easier to use.[/QUOTE]

Tablets have definitely closed the advantage of having a physical guide but... I still like flipping through a guide than using a tablet. Most physical guides are very well organized too and additional visuals are definitely nice.

[quote name='musha666']Tablets are easier to use by the tv than having to flip through pages. Also the search is easier to use.[/QUOTE]

Tablets are nowhere near as ubiquitous as you're implying.

It's six one way, half a dozen the other for me. I usually only resort to FAQs when I'm hopelessly stuck, but there's something about an extra-nice bound, illustrated book for a game - like the one for Dark Souls.

[quote name='Juub']When pretty much all the information and more can be found on Google within 5 seconds?[/QUOTE]
RPG compendiums are invaluable if written well. I prefer to have all the information I need at a glance rather than search for it over various sites. Price of convenience really, so it's worth it to me.

I got so sick of going to the Internet to find all the secrets in New Super Mario Bros. 2 I just went ahead and bought the guide off Amazon for like $7. Totally worth it.

Walkthroughs on YouTube seem like the superior method of getting game advice, though games are so easy these days why would you bother?

I wish Versus Books still made game guides. I would definitely buy them as they were great guides filled with detailed information and great detailed maps. I agree though, I definitely buy guides for the art and collectibility.

They aren't really that useful to me, personally.

I've purchased two ever. LE one for MGS4 which was fairly convenient for checking emblem and unlockable item requirements, viewing the map for Act 2, and just very good looking in general.

The other was a Piggyback Kingdom Hearts 2 guide, which was incredibly nice, but sadly, I never needed it.

Honestly, I'd rather just save the money than spend more on a guide than I did on whatever game I'd use it for.

If you are an achievement hunter/collector, I can see them being pretty much essential. If you are playing an RPG or something with a good bit of depth, they are moderately useful. For everything else though, they seem rather unnecessary.

I guess it all depends on your playtype. Alot of games are fairly linear, and I pretty much just play to beat the campaign these days, so I tend to not see a whole lot of use for a game guide. That said, guides do seem to be alot more thorough than the stuff you can find online: I'm playing Dark Souls right now, when I occasionally check in on gamefaqs for help, the answers are often vague or confusing.

[quote name='iamsmart']...I'm playing Dark Souls right now, when I occasionally check in on gamefaqs for help, the answers are often vague or confusing.[/QUOTE]

Consider using the Dark Souls wiki.

[quote name='StoneNinja']I wish Versus Books still made game guides. I would definitely buy them as they were great guides filled with detailed information and great detailed maps. I agree though, I definitely buy guides for the art and collectibility.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Versus guides were awesome. DoubleJump Books also made great guides but I hated that they used the small form factor, which were impossible to leave open.

bread's done
Back