Is there still a Wii shortage?

Maybe in large centres, but in small towns like where I am, I can walk into stupidstore and buy one any day of the week, except december.

According to MS, there is a 360 shortage too? That is the reason for their NPD's being lower than Sony's. But even in large centres I have never not seen a 360 at a games dept.

~S

its slightly easier for me to get a hold of one since my friend works at FS, they just got 70 in stock at his location a few days ago

My local WalMart in Langley, B.C. always seem to have some in stock. I picked one up for a company giveaway this weekend.

Yeah, they still seem to be selling everything that goes onto store shelves, but even if demand still stays high, it's not going to be Christmas-crazy.

Even last year, until around August, I occasionally came across Wiis in stores -- there wasn't quite the same hunger for them as there was during the holidays. I'm sure right now we're in sort of the same position -- if they're selling out, it's in hours instead of minutes.

Even here in Kamloops, BC there has been a shortage of Wii's all over the place. Superstore, FS, Wal-Mart & EB Games are practicially sold out as soon as a shipment comes in. People watch like hawks when they hear of a shipment coming in. Thank God for pre-ordering the system when they were first released! :cool:

There are dozens of resellers who buy out every store as soon as they come in. There wouldn't be a supply problem if not for them.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Maybe in large centres, but in small towns like where I am, I can walk into stupidstore and buy one any day of the week, except december.

According to MS, there is a 360 shortage too? That is the reason for their NPD's being lower than Sony's. But even in large centres I have never not seen a 360 at a games dept.

~S[/quote]
We had about 3 weeks in Atlanta where anything other than an Arcade was impossible to find. I was trying to find an Elite to replace my pro then and could find neither. I imagine the even larger city markets were worse then.

[quote name='Jeoff']There are dozens of resellers who buy out every store as soon as they come in. There wouldn't be a supply problem if not for them.[/quote]

You'd be wrong there. Searching Ebay for "nintendo wii system new" brings up 1325 results. Let's assume it's 3x that much for all variations of that phrase. Just under 4000 units. Even if local(craigslist and the like)sellers bought up a few times that amount, which is hard to believe, let's say 12000 total units were bought that week to resell.

VGchartz says last week in America, almost 219k~ units were sold. Resellers might get 2-10% of the total inventory, but the system would still be selling out regardless. After all, if a person would be willing to pay the new price + premium, they'd certainly be willing to pay just the new price in store.

[quote name='Bandit64']
VGchartz says last week in America, almost 219k~ units were sold. Resellers might get 2-10% of the total inventory, but the system would still be selling out regardless. After all, if a person would be willing to pay the new price + premium, they'd certainly be willing to pay just the new price in store.[/quote]

If it were for the fact that VGchartz is shit for numbers, those numbers would be good. Good thing it's common knowledge that Wiis are heavier in demand than even the PS2 around the same point of life.

[quote name='poiuiu']If it were for the fact that VGchartz is shit for numbers, those numbers would be good. Good thing it's common knowledge that Wiis are heavier in demand than even the PS2 around the same point of life.[/quote]

Yeah, they're not 100% reliable or anything, but they're within a few percent of the NPD numbers most of the time, it's just an estimate so exact numbers don't really matter in this case.

[quote name='Bandit64']You'd be wrong there. Searching Ebay for "nintendo wii system new" brings up 1325 results. Let's assume it's 3x that much for all variations of that phrase. Just under 4000 units. Even if local(craigslist and the like)sellers bought up a few times that amount, which is hard to believe, let's say 12000 total units were bought that week to resell.

VGchartz says last week in America, almost 219k~ units were sold. Resellers might get 2-10% of the total inventory, but the system would still be selling out regardless. After all, if a person would be willing to pay the new price + premium, they'd certainly be willing to pay just the new price in store.[/quote]

Fun Fact: There is absolutely NO source that gives sales numbers on a weekly basis in the United States or Canada

Another Fun Fact: VGChartz is crap.

[quote name='Bandit64']Yeah, they're not 100% reliable or anything, but they're within a few percent of the NPD numbers most of the time, it's just an estimate so exact numbers don't really matter in this case.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure my ass can give more reliable numbers than VGchartz's ass.

While resellers may purchase a good ammount of Wii's. I am positive taking them out of the equation would not solve the problem. As was said if someone is willing to buy from a reseller they would buy it from the store.

[quote name='zorzorzor']Since launch, Ive only seen ONE in the wild. I think it was at a Walmart...[/QUOTE]

Same here. That was at Target in June of last year.

At launch, I really wanted a Wii but at this point I just don't care anymore. It's been almost a year and a half since launch and we still have to deal with hoarders & store camping. If Nintendo doesn't want to do anything about it and increase production, I'll just give my money to Sony and Microsoft instead.

i seen 1 at target . 1 at walmart.

the only place i want to buy it at is best buy (since i got a major gift card) but everytime they get them tey are sold out in 30 mins

[quote name='slidecage']i seen 1 at target . 1 at walmart.

the only place i want to buy it at is best buy (since i got a major gift card) but everytime they get them tey are sold out in 30 mins[/quote]

I am not sure if it is a error or not, but BB listed Wii at 279.99. It's 269.99 every elsewhere.

I was at a GS this Monday, buying Silent Hill 3 and it turned out that they got 6 Wiis that day. I bought one for my brother and they still had 3 more left.

And looking at the prices on Ebay, new ones are only going for $300 or so and I'm guessing that'll detract a lot of the hoarders.

I saw 3 in at best buy about 6 months or so ago. I ended up buying one and still dont know how they had them and no one takeing them. I picked one up when I saw them and started to the cash register. I was thinking someone with best buy was going to tell me to put it back but nope. No one stopped me. I have not seen one since then. However this goes for Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and Walmart I don't know about other places in my area.

[quote name='Jeoff']There are dozens of resellers who buy out every store as soon as they come in. There wouldn't be a supply problem if not for them.[/quote]

Exactly, and most of these idiots sell them for 30 bucks profit. Is it really worth it to go to the store, wait for the shipment and then list it on craigslist, wait for a buyer, meet up exchange the money etc etc. How about these people get a JOB?

[quote name='danthemightyone']I am not sure if it is a error or not, but BB listed Wii at 279.99. It's 269.99 every elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

though wii was 249.99??

The only reason there was a "shortage" is because Nintendo locked up all their Wii stock in a warehouse somewhere to create demand.

Round here there don't seem to be any shortage problems anymore, in the UK.

[quote name='Exu']The only reason there was a "shortage" is because Nintendo locked up all their Wii stock in a warehouse somewhere to create demand.[/QUOTE]

Proof?

Didn't think so.

Stop fueling rumors.

[quote name='slidecage']though wii was 249.99??[/quote]

This is the Canadian forum. ;)

I saw about 6 a few days ago at a Best Buy... one was open box and had no discount whatsoever. $279.99 though.

[quote name='Exu']The only reason there was a "shortage" is because Nintendo locked up all their Wii stock in a warehouse somewhere to create demand.

Round here there don't seem to be any shortage problems anymore, in the UK.[/quote]

There was a story going around the UK was getting more shipments based on the fact the US dollar was so low. That might explain both shortages but a very large percentage (at least 50%) are getting bought up by resellers and selling them on eBay or craigslist making it even harder to get one. I was never really interested in one and I just walked into EB one day and asked if they had one and they said yes, it just came in and by the time I left five minutes later, the other three were all gone.

[quote name='Exu']The only reason there was a "shortage" is because Nintendo locked up all their Wii stock in a warehouse somewhere to create demand.

Round here there don't seem to be any shortage problems anymore, in the UK.[/quote]

Stop speading lies and FUD. It's a fact that the Wii demand completely outstrip the supply Nintendo can provide (even on it's second year after its initial release). As it is, Nintendo makes and ships out a million, possibly two million, a month and they still sell out (at least for NA).

Edit: further stating the obvious.

[quote name='poiuiu']Stop speading lies and FUD. It's a fact that the Wii demand completely outstrip the supply Nintendo can provide (even on it's second year after its initial release). As it is, Nintendo makes and ships out a million, possibly two million, a month and they still sell out (at least for NA).

Edit: further stating the obvious.[/quote]
That's entirely true afaik. But that's the problem, they're only making just enough to cover demand. They could easily increase production (the Wii is not a hard unit to make), but the apparent shortage helps sales. This isn't going to change, they're selling more than enough to make them happy as is :bouncy:

I still have two Wiis sealed in the box. I picked them up in case some friends wanted them. I got them months ago and haven't bothered to try to sell them.

Anyone need one? ;)

Try selling it on the trading forum. However, your low feedback doesn't help you much. Everyone is mostly on high scam alert these days. Just take pictures of the wii and see if you get any bites.

[quote name='Zing']I still have two Wiis sealed in the box. I picked them up in case some friends wanted them. I got them months ago and haven't bothered to try to sell them.

Anyone need one? ;)[/quote]

bread's done
Back