Is this a good deal?

I'd say no...but that might be because I got it for $5 a while back, and I haven't enjoyed a Final Fantasy game since the SNES days.

[quote name='Anbu_Zim']That should be a sin.[/quote]

I dunno, I played through FFVII back in '99 and while it was fun and long, I have to tell ya I had much more of an 'epic' experience when I played Star Ocean 2. I didn't even bother with VIII and had a copy of IX sitting unplayed (I took the shrink wrap off it) for 7 years before I finally traded it on Goozex. Other than the Super Nintendo titles, the only other FF title I spent a lot of time with was FFXI, and that's only because there was no World of Warcraft when FFXI was released.

Back on topic, if you think $40 is a good deal than go for it. Me personally, I'd spend $10 on a good condition black label copy, probably less on a GH version.

I think the question is: are you buying it as a game to play/keep or as a game to flip on evil-Bay?

Lol, $10 on a good condition BL copy. Even if you wanted it, I doubt you could find one for that little.

[quote name='thelazyone22']I think the question is: are you buying it as a game to play/keep or as a game to flip on evil-Bay?

Lol, $10 on a good condition BL copy. Even if you wanted it, I doubt you could find one for that little.[/quote]

Pawn shops and yard sales. Found plenty of those 'rare' games people drool over there. Hell, I found a Pikmin 2 near mint and complete for $5 on craigslist just last month. Just keep an eye open at all times, you'll see a lot more than you think. And I say $10 since I've already played through it. Should I find a copy for $10 it will simply sit on a shelf and collect dust for the remainder of its days anyway.

[quote name='Nikadimas']I dunno, I played through FFVII back in '99 and while it was fun and long, I have to tell ya I had much more of an 'epic' experience when I played Star Ocean 2. I didn't even bother with VIII and had a copy of IX sitting unplayed (I took the shrink wrap off it) for 7 years before I finally traded it on Goozex. Other than the Super Nintendo titles, the only other FF title I spent a lot of time with was FFXI, and that's only because there was no World of Warcraft when FFXI was released.

Back on topic, if you think $40 is a good deal than go for it. Me personally, I'd spend $10 on a good condition black label copy, probably less on a GH version.[/quote]

I'm not dissing Final Fantasy SNES titles, i'm just saying that they weren't the only good ones. Final Fantasy V and VII were the best Final Fantasy games.. so... ones SNES and ones PS? Best of both Worlds, eh?

Also..World of Warcraft? lol... that's addicting, it's changed some of my friends.

Back on subject.... take it mang!

Cheers

[quote name='Nikadimas']Pawn shops and yard sales. Found plenty of those 'rare' games people drool over there. Hell, I found a Pikmin 2 near mint and complete for $5 on craigslist just last month. Just keep an eye open at all times, you'll see a lot more than you think. And I say $10 since I've already played through it. Should I find a copy for $10 it will simply sit on a shelf and collect dust for the remainder of its days anyway.[/quote]

I realize that too; I've picked up on incredible deals on CL/locally.

But you say it in an offhand manner like you could walk out tomorrow and be back with 5 $10 copies of FFVII. It's not that easy, unfortunately.

Anyway, $40 is a decent price; play it, if you don't like it, you'll more than make ur money back.

[quote name='thelazyone22']I realize that too; I've picked up on incredible deals on CL/locally.

But you say it in an offhand manner like you could walk out tomorrow and be back with 5 $10 copies of FFVII. It's not that easy, unfortunately.

Anyway, $40 is a decent price; play it, if you don't like it, you'll more than make ur money back.[/quote]

That's exactly it. I was gonna get it to play, but if I didn't like it, I was hoping I could get rid of it without losing money.

[quote name='thelazyone22']But you say it in an offhand manner like you could walk out tomorrow and be back with 5 $10 copies of FFVII. It's not that easy, unfortunately.[/quote]

I say it in an offhand manner because this game is over a decade old now, and believe me it shows. Not really on the top of my list of desirable selections. Plus, I'm not really into rare game collecting at all. I usually go out searching with my friend who is still an eBayer and if I see something interesting I'll pick it up for myself. Don't get me wrong, I know how important FFVII was to gaming. It took gaming to the mainstream and made playing your Playstation 'cool', but unless you've lived through the era, you're not going to enjoy the game as much as you think you will. The high price of FFVII is really for the nostalgia of it all plus the fact that it's pretty difficult to find any complete PS1 games nowadays. Basically, if you have to ask if $40 is a good deal for FFVII, then you probably shouldn't get it.

Hahaha, Nikadimas, you're way too deep and philosophical for what the OP was asking. I think I guessed correctly that all he cared about was whether or not he'd be able to make his money back. Your points are well made, but way over my head, lol. :p I don't think I've approached the point where I consider the long-term ramifications of a game's impact on history or its relative importance to me personally; sad to say, I often only care how much it goes for on eBay... Guess I'm not purist enough...

OP, you wouldn't lose a penny; I'm sure more than one CAG would be happy to take it off your hands for $40.

Enjoy!

bread's done
Back