Is this a good starter tv?

1080p wont really matter as much unless the screen is huge anyway... even then it wont matter too much... my 61" shows no real differences in 1080i hd movies on the 360 and blu rays on the ps3...
I dont know about the emerson brand though... Id reasearch them a little more... check out more ratings other than a few consumer reviews...

I've never seen the TV, but given that Emerson is a non-brand for anybody but the homeless... I'm going to go ahead and say that no, this is not a good starter TV.

Honestly didn't know emerson made TVs. Aren't they primarily know for kitchen appliances? Pretty reliable on that end, or at least used to be.

Not sure if 8ms is slow for LCD tvs, but 2ms seems to be more preferred for PC gamers.

An Emerson alarm clock has gotten me out of bed every day on time for the past 17 years...as for the TV, thats a tough call.

[quote name='Chacrana']I've never seen the TV, but given that Emerson is a non-brand for anybody but the homeless... I'm going to go ahead and say that no, this is not a good starter TV.[/quote]

Honestly, Chacrana and Vinny, I had an Emerson VCR back in the day, it played tapes flawlessly till the day I got rid of it. I never had to even use the tracking to clean up the picture once.

And, I have an Emerson dvd/vcr now, which has served me well these past 4-5 years so far, so I can't complain.

Personally Chacrana, if you're all about 'name brand' this or that, that's fine for you I suppose, but some of us are on budgets and want the best we can get for the least amount of money.

I've had name brand products fail on me faster than store brand stuff before, like sneakers for example. I had a pair of Everlast from Kmart, they lasted me 5-6 years, whereas a pair of Nikes I bought fell apart soon as they hit any amount of water. That's just one example of name brand not being SO good. I'll list another one below.

Case in point, the PS2 last gen from Sony, sooooo many problems for sooooo many people, so many so that they sued Sony to get them repaired for free.

Chacranajxy is the most misunderstood CAG other than DJ K8E. I'm not all about brand names. I won't look at a random product like an alarm clock and be like "Ooh, it's a Sony, must be good." The only reason I do that with LCDs is because for the most part, certain brands of TVs fall in certain categories of quality very consistently. No-name brands are basically never as good as brands like Sony, Samsung, Sharp, etc., so I'm not going to pretend like they are. And yeah, I understand that people have budgets... amazing, even I have one too, but c'mon... didn't your parents ever tell you to save up your allowance for something you want? If you're going to buy a TV, then maybe instead of buying a cheap piece of shit because it's accessible right now, you should wait until you can get something legitimate that you'll actually like.

Ah, the plight of elitism.

I agree with Chacrana, there's a point of living on a budget and then there is just being cheap. Why purchase an unknown brand for a 'widget' to have it tank on you after a few months or less than a year when you could have paid that extra cash to own something with quality. Now instead of being out that extra cash + tax, you are out the original price and the price to replace the 'widget'.

But honestly, go look at reviews, if there aren't enough or any at all, go ask on 'widget' related message boards. (But if you have the cash and you think it's worth the gamble, go for it.) Personally, my opinion is to wait for deals on trusted brand names, especially for high priced items.

Cheers :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Honestly, Chacrana and Vinny, I had an Emerson VCR back in the day, it played tapes flawlessly till the day I got rid of it. I never had to even use the tracking to clean up the picture once.

And, I have an Emerson dvd/vcr now, which has served me well these past 4-5 years so far, so I can't complain.

Personally Chacrana, if you're all about 'name brand' this or that, that's fine for you I suppose, but some of us are on budgets and want the best we can get for the least amount of money.

I've had name brand products fail on me faster than store brand stuff before, like sneakers for example. I had a pair of Everlast from Kmart, they lasted me 5-6 years, whereas a pair of Nikes I bought fell apart soon as they hit any amount of water. That's just one example of name brand not being SO good. I'll list another one below.

Case in point, the PS2 last gen from Sony, sooooo many problems for sooooo many people, so many so that they sued Sony to get them repaired for free.[/QUOTE]

In case you missed it, this topic is about an Emerson TV... not sneakers or VCRs.;)

All joking aside, I still stand by my statement that Emerson is crap. Ok, fine, they last long... that just means you'll be stuck with crappy quality longer.

BTW, I've never had any issues with any brand name or non-brand name electronics products (except for Sony consoles) so I don't really consider reliability an issue. Usually, if a unit is unreliable, you'll hear about it in reviews and stuff.

Neither have I, except for the Sony consoles as you mentioned, but if it's a choice between cheap price and a bigger tv or name brand and higher price and I gotta squint to see the picture(because for the same price as the budget brand tv I only get a SMALL name brand tv), I'll choose the non name brand item every time.

Go read some reviews, either way. I've never really had an issue with product lifetime, but when it comes to TV's, price and brand name generally represent quality. There's geometry to worry about.. Contrast, audio, brightness, bleeding.. the user interface, all of that junk. Not to mention added features and the warranty.

Read reviews.

Another thing to consider for gaming TVs is input options. One advantage of going with a name brand is they generally have many more inputs than cheaper TVs. Even lower-end/smaller Sharp TVs, for example, have at least 2 HDMI inputs, 2 component, and 1 composite input. Make sure to check that out before shelling out the cash.

If this is the only 37" Emerson Wal-Mart sells, or at least the same one my sister got, this is a well-reviewed set. And I can vouch, it looks pretty sweet for the money.

[quote name='red flare graf']Go read some reviews, either way. I've never really had an issue with product lifetime, but when it comes to TV's, price and brand name generally represent quality. There's geometry to worry about.. Contrast, audio, brightness, bleeding.. the user interface, all of that junk. Not to mention added features and the warranty.

Read reviews.[/quote]

But see, that's the hilarious part, as if you put in the UPC for some of the non name brand tvs into UPC Database, they would come back sometimes as tv made by (name brand company).

This was the case with a big screen hdtv that was an offbrand model that Kmart has on clearance for $360ish right now. The tv may be branded some name that most have never heard of, but the tv was made by Samsung.

bread's done
Back