Is this a good TiVo deal?

the_gloaming

CAGiversary!
I went online tonight to look for a deal on TiVo. It turns out the TiVo website has some kind of a deal where you get a refurbished 40 hour box, and then it's only $12.95/month with a 1 year commitment. The 30-day cancellation applies ... and the same warranty for a new box.

I guess I just don't know a lot about TiVo. I'm wondering if this is a good deal, or if I should just go with an 80-hour box instead .. in fact, I don't even know the diff. between the two boxes. Also, I know it mentioned a service activation fee, but left out the details ... how much is that?

Thanks in advance CAGs. I don't know much at all about TiVo so any other perks about the whole thing might be helpful too. Thanks again.

get a tivo box new man, refurbs arent good news. the series 2 box, when hooked up on your network at home, you can login to yahoo! and record your shows that way if you forget. if you do season pass, where it reocrds all of the new episodes of your fav. tv shows, then you dont have to delete as much and you can archive the shows longer. plus with a new unit at BB or CC you get them for like $50 bucks after rebate and you dont have to wait for shipping and possibly check out the used games if your store is lucky enough to have them.

[quote name='the_gloaming']I went online tonight to look for a deal on TiVo. It turns out the TiVo website has some kind of a deal where you get a refurbished 40 hour box, and then it's only $12.95/month with a 1 year commitment. The 30-day cancellation applies ... and the same warranty for a new box.

I guess I just don't know a lot about TiVo. I'm wondering if this is a good deal, or if I should just go with an 80-hour box instead .. in fact, I don't even know the diff. between the two boxes. Also, I know it mentioned a service activation fee, but left out the details ... how much is that?

Thanks in advance CAGs. I don't know much at all about TiVo so any other perks about the whole thing might be helpful too. Thanks again.[/quote]

I would recommend getting a TIVO from TIVO at this page.
http://www.tivo.com/0.11.accommodation.asp

80-hour TiVo® Series2™ DVR + 1 year of TiVo service
$375.40 instant savings off retail price!
$83.40

They also have a dual tuner one on the same page but depending on how much TV you watch that could be overkill.

[quote name='WarlordFDC'].[/quote]

That deal is sweet but its only for "sales representatives employed at participating authorized retailers".

Does anyplace sell the 80hr one for less than $50? Otherwise its just cheaper to get the 80hr + 1 year prepaid for $224

I've actually had my TiVo for well over a year now, I bought it for 150 refurbished from Best Buy, and haven't had a single problem with it. Best money I ever speant.

[quote name='Angelhood']That deal is sweet but its only for "sales representatives employed at participating authorized retailers".

Does anyplace sell the 80hr one for less than $50? Otherwise its just cheaper to get the 80hr + 1 year prepaid for $224[/quote]

They must have changed it. It used to be to anyone.

Sorry about that.

If you buy the 80 hr box (new) right from Tivo it's $19.95 a month for a year (includes service) after the year it drops to the regular $12.95. It will run you $19.95 out the door right away. This is the one I have and it's a good deal. For $30 more at the time of ordering, you can get the 80 hr dual tuner box. This is their standard way of buying it now.

if you have a xbox live diamond card you'll get 15% off a year of service. But I say go with the new dual tuner 80 box with one year of service and you'll be more then happy.

bread's done
Back