Is This A Good TV?

yes it is. i dont know if thats the best price availible, but that is a very nice lcd.
id check cnet for reviews. and avs for customer feedback, such as model specific issues.

yeah, I just want to get away from Olevia. It's a great TV, but I think they went out of business if I'm not mistaken, plus a size upgrade would be nice

oh, that's the same TV I have
let me list it quick

Pros:
Good PQ
Plenty O HDMI inputs
Great Bezel Styling
Did I mention the sexy Bezel?

Cons:
Glossy screen has reflections (particularly annoying in daytime viewing)
Game-mode is shit
Did i mention game-mode is shit?
120hz AMP stutters at times
all the streaming features suck because samsung's software sucks
No Swivel base
Halo effect pisses off some people (outer edge gets illuminated)
Menu is not as good as the Sony's V/W/Z Series

Given the economy + the new units coming out soon. i'd wait. You can do better

Better pricing from Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46A750-46-Inch-1080p-Touch/dp/B0014175OI

$150 cheaper, plus no sales tax, and free shipping to get it shipped right to your door. With bonus $200 gift certificate on NFLShop.com as well.

[quote name='MrDubbs']I've never had a tv with "game mode" what exactly does that do?[/quote]Game mode turns off all the video processing on the set, which cuts down input lag.

If you do get this TV, make sure you plug your console into HDMI 2 and set it to PC mode, which cuts down input lag even further.

There's multiple threads on AVSForum.com about this set, and the input lag issues with some Samsung sets.

[quote name='shrike4242']Better pricing from Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46A750-46-Inch-1080p-Touch/dp/B0014175OI

$150 cheaper, plus no sales tax, and free shipping to get it shipped right to your door. With bonus $200 gift certificate on NFLShop.com as well.

Game mode turns off all the video processing on the set, which cuts down input lag.

If you do get this TV, make sure you plug your console into HDMI 2 and set it to PC mode, which cuts down input lag even further.

There's multiple threads on AVSForum.com about this set, and the input lag issues with some Samsung sets.[/quote]

So if I ended up with this set, would it be better for me to not use my receiver as a hub?

Right now, my Onkyo receiver is my hub, with my PS3 (HDMI) Cable Box (HDMI), 360 (component, since it doesn't have HDMI), Wii component. So would it be best for me to hook up the ps3 to HDMI 2, and the rest into the tv bypassing the receiver? Also would the game mode not work with the 360 or Wii then?

It's weird too that Amazon doesn't allow for Prime shipping on the set, if I applied for their store card for the 24 months interest free, would it hurt my credit if I just used the card for the TV purchase? Also, if I applied but didn't get enough for the set, would it hurt my credit if I never used the card?

Yes. I have the LN52A650 and it is fucking amazing. I don't really notice any input lag (PS3 is HDMI3, 360 is VGA), but I haven't gotten a modem in my room so I can't comment on online play quite yet.

My only complaint about the set is the lack of customization options for the VGA input.

I own the A750 and I'd recommend the Bravia W series after trying both.

The reason why I went w/ the A750 is the Bezel & the price in the circumstances.

The Z's even went on sale quite a bit too.

Forgot to mention some people have bubbling from the 750's Bezel as well.

Don't get me wrong, A750 is a great set. I wouldn't have kept it otherwise. It just has quite a few issues.

goto AVSforum if you want more detailed info

[quote name='MrDubbs']So if I ended up with this set, would it be better for me to not use my receiver as a hub?

Right now, my Onkyo receiver is my hub, with my PS3 (HDMI) Cable Box (HDMI), 360 (component, since it doesn't have HDMI), Wii component. So would it be best for me to hook up the ps3 to HDMI 2, and the rest into the tv bypassing the receiver? Also would the game mode not work with the 360 or Wii then?

It's weird too that Amazon doesn't allow for Prime shipping on the set, if I applied for their store card for the 24 months interest free, would it hurt my credit if I just used the card for the TV purchase? Also, if I applied but didn't get enough for the set, would it hurt my credit if I never used the card?[/quote]It depends on the model of the receiver on how you should hook it up with all the components. The issue with the HDMI 2/PC setup is it's been proven that it reduces additional gaming lag when done that way. It wouldn't be the optimal way to run it for all your devices, such as the cable box, which doesn't matter about input lag.

You can't get Prime shipping on something that's too heavy and big to ship via UPS. A TV that size comes via truck shipping, and takes 4-6 day to get to you via truck. Plus, it's free shipping.

Their store card isn't designed for large-caliber purchases like the TV, from what I know. You could apply for it, though I'd be surprised if it would work for a purchase of that size.

Having it affect your credit would only matter if you had a number of credit requests or inquiries in a short period of time.

[quote name='Zoglog']I own the A750 and I'd recommend the Bravia W series after trying both.

The reason why I went w/ the A750 is the Bezel & the price in the circumstances.

The Z's even went on sale quite a bit too.

Forgot to mention some people have bubbling from the 750's Bezel as well.

Don't get me wrong, A750 is a great set. I wouldn't have kept it otherwise. It just has quite a few issues.

goto AVSforum if you want more detailed info[/quote]I went from the A650/750/850 Samsung set to the Sony's, and since I decided I wanted 52", I couldn't do the Z and went with the XBR6. The Z does give you just about everything on the XBR6, and some people prefer the non-CCFL backlight in the Z over the CCFL in the XBR6.

I'd second that. Surprising that they don't have the Z figured into that list of TV's.

The previous deal I was part of, in a second-hand fashion, was only for the XBR's, so this works out better with the W.

When I click the tab for the blu ray player in that deal, nothings there.

And Shrike, Amazon offered me the store card for TV with the 24 months no interest, I'm just afraid that with my minimal credit history, I wouldn't get that much from them, even though my other card has more then enough, I just don't want to be paying interest

Edit: Damn, the Sony TV is only being offered with 90 days no interest compared to the Samsung, I guess I'll shop around here locally and see if I can find a deal first

Last edited by a moderator:
Discount on the W is now $300, Zoglog, so you're not getting the S550 for free, it's costing you $50 out of pocket. When it was $400 discount yesterday, then yes, you're getting it for free. I'd just order the TV on its own right now.

If they offered you the card with 24 months no interest, then they might give you the credit to buy the TV. It'll just be the pull against your credit history to see what you'd get on it.

And yes, the Samsungs get the financing offer, the Sony's don't and just default to the standard 90 days same-as-cash financing.

[quote name='MrDubbs']What is Sears' Price Match Policy? Do they match or do 10% as well? Also, do they call the competitor, because none of my Best Buys around me have it in store

Sears has this TV for 1599.99 and Best Buy Has it for 100 less, they also have the 46 inch for 50 less

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...g+650&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1205537515466[/quote]Sears will do the match + 10%, and they need some print proof, ad preferred, showing that the item is at the price in question.

[quote name='MrDubbs']http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771075000P?intcmp=SmartCircular

for the price vs size and resolution

I'm thinking of upgrading my current tv, but have no idea what I'm looking for in terms of reviews and specs and everything else[/quote]

hey, that's my tv! :cool:
I think it's a great tv, but that's what you'll usually hear from someone who owns it.
It has a glossy screen, which reflects more than some other screens, but makes colors look much nicer

I actually walked into my sears today, and before entering the TV aisle, I pin pointed the Samsung which against the back wall with a couple Sony's. The Samsung just looked so much more vibrant.

I guess the thing that's holding me back is I don't want to apply for a Sears credit, and not get enough for the TV, meaning I'd prob never use the card.

I figured out that if they price match, it will cost me 1430.99 for the 50in or 60 bucks min payment to pay it off in the two years with the sears card

[quote name='MrDubbs']I actually walked into my sears today, and before entering the TV aisle, I pin pointed the Samsung which against the back wall with a couple Sony's. The Samsung just looked so much more vibrant.

I guess the thing that's holding me back is I don't want to apply for a Sears credit, and not get enough for the TV, meaning I'd prob never use the card.

I figured out that if they price match, it will cost me 1430.99 for the 50in or 60 bucks min payment to pay it off in the two years with the sears card[/quote]

MrDubbs, you do not want that 750, instead you'd be happier with the LN46A650. why you ask? well, the 750 doesn't come with a swivel stand which boggles my mind because the 650 does and I love my swivel stand (Samsung LN-T4069FX). Even though the 750 has a built in "subwoofer" and you'd think the sound would be better than the 650's, Consumer Reports rated the 650's sound quality one grade higher than the 750's.

Now if that doesn't convince you to get the 650 instead, maybe a flaw in the design will. Alot of complaints about the "halo" effect on the 7 series samsung's has been brought to samsung and they say it's part of the design. what is the "halo" effect? it's a gap between the screen and edge of frame where you can see the light emitting from the tv read review HERE (see pic). only the 7 series tv's suffer this flaw, so for $1519, I'd say get the 650 series on amazon (it's where i bought my Samsung) and be happier saving some dough and getting a better tv. Honestly, it's the best LCD on the market, besides 9 series probably, but it's amazing how far they've come...

oh, and don't use the "game mode" it lowers contrast and doesn't work. just make sure your AMP is turned to OFF for gaming so you don't get TBE (blurring).

c78a51c88da0902a0046e110.L.jpg

[quote name='von551']MrDubbs, you do not want that 750, instead you'd be happier with the LN46A650. why you ask? well, the 750 doesn't come with a swivel stand which boggles my mind because the 650 does and I love my swivel stand (Samsung LN-T4069FX). Even though the 750 has a built in "subwoofer" and you'd think the sound would be better than the 650's, Consumer Reports rated the 650's sound quality one grade higher than the 750's.

Now if that doesn't convince you to get the 650 instead, maybe a flaw in the design will. Alot of complaints about the "halo" effect on the 7 series samsung's has been brought to samsung and they say it's part of the design. what is the "halo" effect? it's a gap between the screen and edge of frame where you can see the light emitting from the tv read review HERE (see pic). only the 7 series tv's suffer this flaw, so for $1519, I'd say get the 650 series on amazon (it's where i bought my Samsung) and be happier saving some dough and getting a better tv. Honestly, it's the best LCD on the market, besides 9 series probably, but it's amazing how far they've come...

oh, and don't use the "game mode" it lowers contrast and doesn't work. just make sure your AMP is turned to OFF for gaming so you don't get TBE (blurring).

c78a51c88da0902a0046e110.L.jpg
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, it's really appreciated. I don't really understand why Samsung would "design" something like that. If I do end up with this TV though, I think I'll try and price match Best Buy through Sears first.

Sears has the 650 model for 1499.99, and BB currently has it for 1449.99, so I can get them to PM it will only be 1,383.29 after taxes for me. The only thing that concerns me though, is the BB's in Jackson, Ann Arbor, and Toledo, don't have it in store, which are the closet to me. So I might get shot down for a price match. Then perhaps I can sell the NFL GC to defer the cost if I want to

[quote name='von551']MrDubbs, you do not want that 750, instead you'd be happier with the LN46A650. why you ask? well, the 750 doesn't come with a swivel stand which boggles my mind because the 650 does and I love my swivel stand (Samsung LN-T4069FX). Even though the 750 has a built in "subwoofer" and you'd think the sound would be better than the 650's, Consumer Reports rated the 650's sound quality one grade higher than the 750's.

[/quote]

of course game mode works
what kind of tests did you run to say that it doesn't work?

The settings for game mode definitely aren't ideal, but if you notice input lag, it'll get rid of it.

Secondly, aside from the fact that many people like the halo effect, Samsung does NOT say that it's part of the design.
http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa...isREL=Y&SITE_ID=1&AT_ID=137885&ARS_ID=8922257
They give you a link to fill out for service if your TV has halo.

OP, You should listen for yourself to the sound systems. I don't know how old the Consumer Reports review was, but a very old firmware had a problem with the equalizers not working properly. That problem was fixed months ago.

That said, the picture quality of the 650 and 750 are pretty much the same, so if you can save some money getting the 650, there's not much reason not to.

[quote name='MrDubbs']Thanks for the info, it's really appreciated. I don't really understand why Samsung would "design" something like that. If I do end up with this TV though, I think I'll try and price match Best Buy through Sears first.

Sears has the 650 model for 1499.99, and BB currently has it for 1449.99, so I can get them to PM it will only be 1,383.29 after taxes for me. The only thing that concerns me though, is the BB's in Jackson, Ann Arbor, and Toledo, don't have it in store, which are the closet to me. So I might get shot down for a price match. Then perhaps I can sell the NFL GC to defer the cost if I want to[/quote]Uh, it wouldn't be $1338.29, it would be $1449.99. They give you 10% additional for the PM, not 110% additional. Plus, you have to buy it at full price and then get it adjusted after the fact, so you'd buy it at $1499.99 and then get back $55 for the $50 difference and $5 additional.

A better option, if you don't mind making the trip to BB to buy it would be to get it with their 10% off coupon, which you normally can find inside of the USPS moving kit you can get at the local post office. It's 10% off any TV $399 or more, so you'd get the $1449.99 TV for $1305 after the coupon, $1450 - $145. It'll work with whatever pricing they have in the computer when you check out, and doesn't require a RZ card to use. en

http://consumerist.com/378721/this-reusable-best-buy-coupon-for-10-off-does-not-expire

At least, they had them in the USPS moving kits before the end of the year. You might want to run by the local USPS office, pick one up and see if it's in there. If it's not in there, then my apologies. If it is, then you're welcome. ;)

Oh don't get a credit card for just one purchase, especially a big one. Having any kind of credit affects your credit score. If you use a lot of credit as compared to your cap, it will affect it negatively as well as if you have a lot of credit cards and don't use them at all.

[quote name='Conroy']of course game mode works
what kind of tests did you run to say that it doesn't work?

The settings for game mode definitely aren't ideal, but if you notice input lag, it'll get rid of it.
[/quote]

if you notice in game mode, AMP is still on low, you only want it on for sports. it creates TBE in games and like i said kills the color vibrancy a bit by lowering contrast. I just leave mine in dynamic mode (customized) with HDMI black level on low and turn off AMP and it's perfect!

[quote name='MrDubbs']Thanks for the info, it's really appreciated. I don't really understand why Samsung would "design" something like that. If I do end up with this TV though, I think I'll try and price match Best Buy through Sears first.

Sears has the 650 model for 1499.99, and BB currently has it for 1449.99, so I can get them to PM it will only be 1,383.29 after taxes for me. The only thing that concerns me though, is the BB's in Jackson, Ann Arbor, and Toledo, don't have it in store, which are the closet to me. So I might get shot down for a price match. Then perhaps I can sell the NFL GC to defer the cost if I want to[/quote]

yeah, i don't know, for all that trouble and if's i'd recommend just getting it on Amazon, it's down to $1498 now and may drop more by superbowl if you can wait. That's a killer deal already for that size and class of tv. My 40" first gen 120hz, 25,000:1, 8ms Sammy (1 yr old.) was $1700, so put that into perspective with what you can get for $1500 now. just don't get the 750, it's the lesser of the two for sure (same exact picture as 650 minus swivel stand, poorer sound quality and the "halo" effect)...

My $.02:

I'm not any sort of serious videophile, but I just bought a 46" Sceptre 1080p 60Hz LCD at Costco.com and am very happy with it. The price? $699 (came to just over $800 with shipping, CA TV Hazard fee, and taxes). It was in the coupon book that expires tomorrow. I can't find the item online, so it is likely sold out, but deals like this pop up every few months.

I actually bought a 26" Westinghouse 720p LCD at the same time and paid for them by taking back my older 37" Sceptre (bought before they changed the policy to 90 days so they honored it) and adding $150.

To save big bucks, check out Costco and I think you can get a great (st)deal if you are willing to wait until the next TV sales event.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread, but I just wanted to offer my take on HDTVs.

Well I found today that my Dad planned on buying me a new TV for a college graduation present, but he wants me to pick one from Dell. He has around 1500 for a Dell charge account. unfortunately they don't have the Samsung I was looking at, so are there any TV's on Dell.com that you guys recommend?

How are Sharp's? Phillips?

I also have a 15% coupon, but can't use it on a Vizio, so preferably not one of those.

I have a 32" Sharp HDTV and I really like it, especially since I only paid $450 for it. It would probably be a good idea if you waited until the Superbowl came around, stores usually have sales on tvs at that time.

Would Dell have sales as well? I'm not paying for the TV anymore, since my Dad's getting it for me as a graduation present. I think he wants to get it from Dell, since he already has an account ,and doesn't want anymore lines of credit open.

This is the TV i'm looking at, just need to decide on the size

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2288410
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2288408

but are there others that you guys see on Dell that are good? I'm not too sure what I'm looking for, I just want the best one available in the price range

the thing i noticed too is that the coupon takes it off the regular starting price, so the set and player would be 1350.60 after Tax for me, is that a good deal?

That's a nice TV, but I'm looking for an upgrade to what I have. Which is already a 32" and 720P, so I want to upgrade to 1080P, but have the size big enough to matter.

Won't the employee discount get people in trouble? Since it's kinda obvious?

Edit: I tried the site, and I only save around 22 bucks from the TV I want, not worth the risk

How is the 550 vs the 650 though?

The 550 seems to be getting a fair share of bad reviews

Also, is 120Hz important for a TV? I just noticed that the 46" Sharp I was looking at doesn't have it, but the 42" does, would it make any difference?

Visually it would... It will smooth out the picture with the video processing feature it most likely has...

You should be asking at: www.avsforum.com to get more helpful advice from people who live for this crap...

If you're being prodded to order from Dell, Dell does make coupons from time to time that should work on sale prices and non-sale prices, so you may want to keep an eye on SD and FW for those coupon codes getting posted.

[quote name='Lice']Visually it would... It will smooth out the picture with the video processing feature it most likely has...

You should be asking at: www.avsforum.com to get more helpful advice from people who live for this crap...[/quote]

I have read their forums, and the topics there on it. But it seems like everyone is torn on the issue and I'm not really understanding it. To my knowledge, only HD movies can be shown at 120, since the PS3, 360, Cable are only doing 60 from what I've read (i've even heard it's a law that Cable only does 60). So I don't think a TV forcing something that isn't 120 to do 120 would look good. Some people even say that 120 makes things look like it's 1.5 times the actual speed

[quote name='shrike4242']If you're being prodded to order from Dell, Dell does make coupons from time to time that should work on sale prices and non-sale prices, so you may want to keep an eye on SD and FW for those coupon codes getting posted.[/quote]

Alright, thanks for the tip

What did you think about the price on the Sharp's that I posted?

I can get the 46" LC46D65U 60hz w/Blu Ray player for 1,350.60 or the Sharp 42" LC42D85U 120Hz w/Blu Ray player for 1,270.94.

Has anyone heard anything on these models? or how is Sharp in general?

[quote name='auralia']hhgreag had a sony tv 46 inch i believe 1080p for the same price if you have one by you.[/quote]

I've never heard of this place, so I must not lol

[quote name='MrDubbs']Alright, thanks for the tip

What did you think about the price on the Sharp's that I posted?

I can get the 46" LC46D65U 60hz w/Blu Ray player for 1,350.60 or the Sharp 42" LC42D85U 120Hz w/Blu Ray player for 1,270.94.

Has anyone heard anything on these models? or how is Sharp in general?[/quote]46" vs. 42" depends on how far you'll be sitting from the set, and there's numerous thoughts on that situation.

Either one you listed would work, though I think the PQ would be a bit better on the 85-series Sharp vs. the 65-series Sharp. 120Hz being a feature you want depends on what you're feeding it, for the most part. If mostly games, don't worry about it, if mostly movies, then think about it.

Couple other options, one on a bit up and the other one a bit down, pricewise, that is:

Sony 46" Z:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1624349

Vizio 47" XVT:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1667007

[quote name='MrDubbs']How is the 550 vs the 650 though?

The 550 seems to be getting a fair share of bad reviews

Also, is 120Hz important for a TV? I just noticed that the 46" Sharp I was looking at doesn't have it, but the 42" does, would it make any difference?[/quote]

Dell? your dad's gonna pay $400-$500 more than amazon there. The 550 is $1000 and the 42" sharp is less than $1100. but, going from a samsung to a sharp will be noticeable in picture quality, especially if you like it better than the sony already. 120hz does make a difference, so you should try to get one with it, LCD's pretty much need it. In all honesty, the best tv you can get for about $1500 on Dell.com is the Sony Bravia 46" KDL46W4100 120HZ 1080p LCD HDTV, although reviews like THIS have me concerned about this model's reliability/warranty. Next to that would be the Samsung LN46A550 only because of not having 120HZ, but still may have a better picture than Sony's. Go into a store and compare them to see which one looks better.

yeah, I realize that but he wants to buy on credit instead of buying out right. I told him he doesn't have to get me a TV, but he really wants to be able to do something like this for me.

when you made the comment about going from a Samsung to a Sharp and picture quality, what did you mean? Are you saying that Sharp's PQ is worse then Samsungs?

bread's done
Back