Is this Read Dead Redemption on Craigslist Legit?

Ronzilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
So I was perusing good ole craigslist and came upon a guy selling (10) copies of Read Dead Redemption(360) for $130.

$13/piece is a steal but the downside is that the copies don't come with a manual, case, or map.

When looking closely, the disc doesn't seem to be the same as the ones I've seen. His shows John Marston without the cowboy hat holding a shotgun
and the ones I've seen show Marston with a cowboy hat holding a revolver. I contacted him and he said they were bought from GS because his buddy(manager at GS)
said these had broken cases and weren't sellable so he got a good discount.

Any thoughts on the legitimacy of these games he's selling?

3k73p23l05O15Q45X0a6sdd4d083476ff1e15.jpg
3k63ob3lb5Z55U05R5a6sbd3e58a146771fa1.jpg
3m63of3l35Q45U15S6a6s4a4d8a3cc9391316.jpg

[quote name='javeryh']The pic on the left doesn't show the hologram... it doesn't mean it's not there - I just can't see it.[/QUOTE]

I noticed the same thing lol. It's hard to tell in that picture. Does anybody know if Rockstar put out this game with different disc art?
I was thinking it might be a PAL disc or something but not sure.

[quote name='SoulReaver']TBH it sounds like BS. If you want to do it, I'd ask him if you could buy off one copy first to test the legitimacy of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's got shady written all over it. I'm trying to set something up with him because he's willing to sell individual copies for $20 and I could get a better
look in person but I don't want to waste my time if I can figure out the legitimacy first for sure.

I call BS based on the Gamestop comment. GS won't refuse to sell something because of a broken case. They just put it in their generic cases.

It's bullshit. Gamestop sells games inside generic cases all the time. The picture on the game disc is just a copy of the picture from the cover of the game case.

[quote name='Lokki']I call BS based on the Gamestop comment. GS won't refuse to sell something because of a broken case. They just put it in their generic cases.[/QUOTE]

To clarify, his exact wording was "These came in to gamestop with either messed up cases or without manuals so my friend/manager asked me if I wanted to buy them cheap."

Definitely sounding shady but I'm wondering how he's getting these? Is there a scam where people are burning & photoshopping discs
that are actually playable or is he stealing these as an employee or something? I guess it's got me kind of curious too.

[quote name='Ronzilla']To clarify, his exact wording was "These came in to gamestop with either messed up cases or without manuals so my friend/manager asked me if I wanted to buy them cheap."

[/QUOTE]

Either way, it is BS. Gamestop will take disc only trade ins with no problem.

[quote name='Lokki']Either way, it is BS. Gamestop will take disc only trade ins with no problem.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hear ya.

I think I might set up meeting with him anyway and then beat the living piss out of him for trying to sell fake games. I just hope nobody gets taken on this like I very well could have. Thanks for all the input though guys/gals. :D

Is fake. The cover art is old, both front and back. Probably posted on some pirate forum. The back has a different logo where another Rockstar logo should be (above the Mature ESRB rating), and the front is the finalized-but-not-ready-for-release cover art.

The disc is also lacking all of the legal mumbo jumbo, and is a different (and unnecessarily ugly/smudgey...?) picture. Also, it has no PAL/NTSC/JAP logo... Isn't it required to have a region logo on a game?

Go beat his ass up! And also flag it, and post a warning about his posts on CL locally.

[quote name='Rhett']The disc is also lacking all of the legal mumbo jumbo.[/QUOTE]

It's there around the bottom.

It's a pretty terrible fake, though.

[quote name='Neo Queen Serenity']Also notice that the front cover has the ESRB Rating as Rating Pending and the back cover has it as Mature.[/QUOTE]
That was a dead giveaway. Pretty shady IMO.

[quote name='Lokki']I call BS based on the Gamestop comment. GS won't refuse to sell something because of a broken case. They just put it in their generic cases.[/QUOTE]

This. At best they'll give you a 10% discount. That disc is definitely some type of fake or import.

[quote name='Ronzilla']So I was perusing good ole craigslist and came upon a guy selling (10) copies of Read Dead Redemption(360) for $130.

$13/piece is a steal
[/QUOTE]

The price is a steal likely because if the games are legit, they were probably stolen.

[quote name='moojuice']

Also, that's a pretty crooked thumb in the second pic.[/QUOTE]

Apparently someone's already beat him up before.

OP if you go, take pics!

Ok so here's the update. I guess this "scammer" is about 14 years old or so. Talked to him on the phone and he sounds like his voice is just about to start cracking lol. Said I'd call him to meet later today/tonight.
Come to find out he tried to sell these to a local mom & pop shop and the owner obviously noticed that they were fakes and the kid played dumb and said he bought them from his friend.

Then proceeded to say he'd take down the ad cause he didn't know they were fakes. Then the ad reappears and obviously the kid knew better and was still trying to sell the fakes.
Not sure if the kids is the only one behind this or he's just doing someone else's dirty work. Can't really throw a beatdown on some young kid but I've already flagged the post and
I'm gonna call him later today, set up a meeting, & either scare him into NEVER trying to scam people again or giving up some info on the ringleader.

If you guys have any other ideas, let me know. :D

Bring a friend along. If this guy has enough guts to sell fake games, I would call him out on it. Or find a way to at least test the game if it works or not. I could see where some excited and gullible teenager would jump all over this deal

bread's done
Back