Is this the best PC monitor for $300?...

SEGA128DC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Hmm, I've been looking to buy a new PC monitor for a while now, I searched the internet and came across the Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW Black 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor for $299.99 shipped from Newegg.com. I think the monitor would be great for movies and video games, but I'm not sure if it's the best 22" LCD monitor for the money?...

Hanns-g has a 22" for like $220. Ben-Q's are also good. Samsungs are a tad bit overpriced. Shop around you can find something better.

Samsung's PC monitors are generally the best overall from what I've seen. But I haven't really followed newer LCDs for a while now as it seems like the only thing ever new is that they're getting cheaper.

[quote name='lanleague']You want a monitor with a S-IPS panel or S-PVA panel like the Dell 2007WFP.[/QUOTE]

Potentially idiot question but exactly are S-IPS and S-PVA?

[quote name='lanleague']You want a monitor with a S-IPS panel or S-PVA panel like the Dell 2007WFP.[/quote]

Hmm, I guess I would like a S-PVA LCD panel with a fast response time, good black depth, high contrast ratio and wide viewing angles...

I just noticed the
Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW has dropped to $289.00 at Pricegrabber.com...:D

Just my opinion, but I'd say S-IPS is probably the best. TN has horrid viewing angles; the top always looks darker than the bottom, no matter how you sit. PVA/MVA is sorta better, but the middle is darker than the rest if you sit directly center.

FYI: So far, all 22" widescreens are TN panels.

I got this 24" LG last year for ~$350 after a rebate: http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/l246wp.jhtml it has by far the best color and viewing angles of any monitor I have tested. Multiple inputs and picture in picture are just a bonus, but for movie watching and gaming I have never found anything better. I can see it clearly almost edge on. All the 22" monitors I tried had terrible view angles, lots of back light bleed, and skin tones all looked reddish even after color balancing with the nvidia tool.

Samsung monitors are incredible I've got the SyncMaster 226BW (22") and it's by far the best monitor I've ever used, including Dell, HP, LG, etc. Unless other companies drastically improve their products I'll never buy another brand of monitor again.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?In...26489&cm_ven=CJ&cm_pla=2026489&cm_cat=1800376
That's the monitor I'm on right now (and paid $275 for). During November of last year they switched production from PVA to TN panels, so it is kind of a hit or miss with them. Quality control also isn't the greatest as far as dead/stuck pixels go (I have a blue pixel about a half inch from the top I've chosen to ignore) but if you get lucky this really is one of the best deals you can find. Even if you get a TN panel it's still a really good deal (pretty much the cheapest 24" you can find).

[quote name='SEGA128DC']Hmm, is there a big difference between 8000:1 and 20,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio?...[/quote]

The stated contrast ratios are not a good guide to go by. Basically, you need to do some digging and determine what LCD panel the monitor uses.

[quote name='captainfrizo']Samsung monitors are incredible I've got the SyncMaster 226BW (22") and it's by far the best monitor I've ever used, including Dell, HP, LG, etc. Unless other companies drastically improve their products I'll never buy another brand of monitor again.[/QUOTE]

I use a 225bw (also 22") and have been sorely disappointed. Both of our models -- 225 and 226 -- are TN+ panels. With $300 in today's market the OP can find better.

bread's done
Back