Is Video Game Shopping an addiction

Ljader0305

CAG Veteran
Feedback
6 (100%)
Hello Everyone,

I come to the Cag every once in a while and I notice a lot of people boasting about how many games they purchase during that month. I used to be the same way, where I would buy at least ten games a month beacause I wanted them, but as soon as I purchased them I would play them for about 2-3 days and quit them. It was a cycle over and over. I came to my senses and realize what I was doing was an addiction to purchasing video games, now the question is Do everyone agree with me that some people have this addiction but the addiction is never forfill because the cycles goes on until you stop.

I'd say it's more around the lines of "bad choices" than an addiction.

If you can get yourself to buy 10 good games, buy them CHEAPLY (it's why you're here), and get months of play out of them, I'd say you're good.

Personally, I have about 15 360 games, and at one point I spent $200 on 3 + accessories because I was having a rough week at school.

It was money pretty poorly spent (except for Overlord), but I'm still playing them (at the very least to get 1000/1000).

All that aside, I'm not particularly buying another game full price in the near future (except Halo Wars), because I still have 11 games where I'm not 100% complete yet.

The point is, if you need a "hook" for gaming, make it completionism, and not a financial issue.

~HotShotX

It's the same as people who are hooked on shopping, it's the thrill of owning, possessing.

Anything can be an addiction if you do it right.

[quote name='Doc Bacca']It's the same as people who are hooked on shopping, it's the thrill of owning, possessing.

Anything can be an addiction if you do it right.[/QUOTE]

I'd say for some it's more of the thrill of the chase, trying to track down the great deal. But to answer the OP's question, yes, it can definitely be addicting. Just about ANYTHING can be to the right personality.

Like the others have stated anything you do can become addicting if you let it. I have to stop myself all the time from buying games I know that suck but just to have it on the cheap is something I get a joy out of. Like the OP stated I have done this numerous times buy a game on the cheap don't like it and stop playing it.

What I do to combat this is to try and play the games that I know are good and trade them or sale them to get more top rated games. If it is something that sucks I get rid of it quickly so I don't have too big of a backlog at any one time.

Yes it is. I've been thinking about that for awhile. I may reduce the time I spend here on CAG.

[quote name='HotShotX']

Personally, I have about 15 360 games, and at one point I spent $200 on 3 + accessories because I was having a rough week at school.[/QUOTE]
I've done the exact same thing when I was having a bad time at school...just went out and bought some games.

bread's done
Back