Is Viewtiful Joe DS worth buying?

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
One of the Goodwills in Danville, VA has five or six copies of Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble for $6.99 (new and sealed). Is it worth buying?

$7 is a good price. I don't remember how far into I am exactly -- somewhere in world 3, I think -- and it's good stuff, especially if you liked VJ's console outings. It hasn't gotten repetitive/boring yet. I think the touchscreen controls are good, except (a) you'll be using your finger or the thumbstrap tylus rather than the real stylus and (b) the motion for shaking is occasionally mistaken for the motion for sliding. The puzzles are clever and funny in that VJ way.

I would recommend this game even at full price. One of my favorite DS titles. The puzzles are great, the graphics are nice and the game is full of great capcom in-jokes. I didnt need to use a thumbstrap at all, just my finger. Buy two, one for you and one for a friend.

[quote name='auralia']he he the thumb stylus is on your carrying strap that came w/ your ds. its a plastic slidey[/quote]

That's weird. I must not have gotten one with my DS Lite because I don't see anything like that.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']That's weird. I must not have gotten one with my DS Lite because I don't see anything like that.[/QUOTE]

DS Lite doesn't include one.

I just held the stylus while playing.

If you liked VJ1 for its deep, enjoyable combat, then I would give a hesitant recommendation at best for VJ: DS. The combat is stripped HORRIBLY in this one, so that your best bet for nearly every enemy is to just run up and punch them until they die. Slow combos are GONE, and the new powers are more gimmick than good combat tools.

However, those new powers can make for some not that bad platforming. Plus, the music and the presentation can make the entire affair enjoyable. The boss battles are nothing to write home about, but they bring enough to the table that they hold up their end of the worlds. In the end, I'd say go for it: the game is worth that price and not that much more.

I just picked this up today. I feel absolutely retarded but I cannot get the "scratch" power to work at all. From everything I read, you press the R button and then scratch the screen. I've tried on both my DS phat and DS lite and neither work at all. When I press L for slowdown, there's bars at the top and bottom of the screen like film stock to let me know the power's working. Should something similar happen when I press the R button?

If I can't figure this out, the game's going back to the store; I can't exactly get past these sections without it.

well dont use scratch during combat, shyt's useless!!

just press the R button (dont hold it!!!) and literally scratch the screen.

dont bust any stylus or anything... use your nails.

it helps a lot if u gotta screen protector on

[quote name='JEKKI']well dont use scratch during combat, shyt's useless!!

just press the R button (dont hold it!!!) and literally scratch the screen.

dont bust any stylus or anything... use your nails.

it helps a lot if u gotta screen protector on[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to use it in combat; there's a bigass boulder with the word SCRATCH on it (how's that for a puzzle?) but I've spent 30 minutes trying to get the goddamn power to work and it just won't recognize what I'm doing.

[quote name='I82Much']I'm not trying to use it in combat; there's a bigass boulder with the word SCRATCH on it (how's that for a puzzle?) but I've spent 30 minutes trying to get the goddamn power to work and it just won't recognize what I'm doing.[/quote]

Yeah, scratch is press the R button, then just take the stylus and rub it back and forth over the screen.

bread's done
Back