Isn't it against the rules to COPY one's listings on ebay?

I think it's more of a polite thing than a rule. Send the dude an email letting him know that you know what he already knows...

Actually, it is against the rules to copy one's listings, if there's a substantial amount of text copied.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/vero-image-text-theft.html

"eBay members are not allowed to use another eBay user's pictures or descriptions in their listings or About Me page without the owner's permission. Listings that violate eBay's Picture and Description Theft policy may be removed early. Multiple violations of this policy can result in suspension.

The following examples are not allowed on eBay.

* A seller doesn't know the best way to describe an item. The seller copies a substantial amount of another's description and pastes it into a listing.
* A seller takes someone else's picture and includes it in a listing since it looks very similar to the item the seller is offering.
* A seller likes the way a competitor's About Me page looks. The seller copies the look and feel and a substantial amount of the text and creates an About Me page."

There's a link on that page where you can report the listing.

[quote name='Socheata']Actually, it is against the rules to copy one's listings, if there's a substantial amount of text copied.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/vero-image-text-theft.html

"eBay members are not allowed to use another eBay user's pictures or descriptions in their listings or About Me page without the owner's permission. Listings that violate eBay's Picture and Description Theft policy may be removed early. Multiple violations of this policy can result in suspension.

The following examples are not allowed on eBay.

* A seller doesn't know the best way to describe an item. The seller copies a substantial amount of another's description and pastes it into a listing.
* A seller takes someone else's picture and includes it in a listing since it looks very similar to the item the seller is offering.
* A seller likes the way a competitor's About Me page looks. The seller copies the look and feel and a substantial amount of the text and creates an About Me page."

There's a link on that page where you can report the listing.[/QUOTE]

Thank you VERY much. My entire listed was copied, even my shipping costs which are different.

Copying is bad especially when it includes an image which isn't of your item. Just report his ass to ebay and the auciton will probably be taken down.

Ebay will take down their listing if you report it. I've reported a few people and they were usually gone within hours. I normally don't care, but if you copy my listing and list your item while mine is still running, then I'll report you. Competition hurts the money I'll make, so I'm not going to help them by giving them my listing info.

Under the DMCA all you have to do to copyright something is to write "Copyright 2005 'your name" at the bottom.

You can also add "all images and text are" at the beginning and "all rights reserved" at the end.

The DMCA hurts the little guy, but there are a few tidbits in there that protect the little guy too.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']i've considered copying the text from high selling auctions of the game i'm selling.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much that will help, I've sold some items at really high prices and the most I ever write is 2 lines. It's not like most bidders happen upon game auctions randomly.

bread's done
Back